Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Is obesity a disability?

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    bikerchris
    Participant

Anyone hear the discussion on Jeremy Vine’s show about the recent EU ruling that obese people are now protected under employment law as are those with other disabilities.

I have to say the general opinion of Joe Public is not sympathetic to this ruling, which doesn’t surprise me. And I have to say I never saw my obesity that way and it didn’t prevent me working.

Chris x

Lelly

I understand peoples concern over this but I do feel that generally people feel that fat people are lazy, when in fairness that is a presumption and I work full time and do not regard myself as such. I do feel that big people need to be protected from nasty manager’s, I was bullied and when my boss was interviewed, he said in his defense that he had put a chair without arms in his office for when I had to go and talk to him. I am still concerned that they will try and get rid of me as I am at the top of my pay scale and they are trying to save money and there are many who will take my job on the much reduced pay scale.

Paul-H
    Participant

Oh no, what will the bigots of the world discriminate against now, 🙂

What will Ricky Jervais tell jokes about now, Obese people where all he had left on his long list of minorities to joke about.

Or is it because we are no longer a minority 🙂

Odd how I still think of myself as obese isn’t it

Paul

Lauren
    Keymaster

This is my own PERSONAL opinion.

If I were to climb a mountain or hurl myself down one on skis, break my bones and end up in a wheelchair, not one would dream of questioning my disability. I think there should be less ‘blame’ and ‘shame’ and more acceptance of obesity as a genuine disability.

Smokers get help to quit as do drug addicts and alcoholics. Food addiction is a tough one as you can’t just go cold turkey – you have to let the tiger out of the cage three times a day.

Anyway, that’s what I think. For what it is worth!

Doodah x

Vickster

I have been receiving support for a chronic depressive illness for three years now, plus binge eating disorder. I have been asking for years for support for my eating disorder, but have been told on numerous occasions that (in my area at least) there are no dedicated units for people with a high BMI. Until we are willing to treat all eating disorders and conditions equally, there will always be an issue…

Lauren
    Keymaster

@Vickster 33762 wrote:

I have been receiving support for a chronic depressive illness for three years now, plus binge eating disorder. I have been asking for years for support for my eating disorder, but have been told on numerous occasions that (in my area at least) there are no dedicated units for people with a high BMI. Until we are willing to treat all eating disorders and conditions equally, there will always be an issue…

Food addiction is real. I have read that the food industry have ‘designed’ fast food to become addictive so that their profits don’t ever decline. It’s not beyond the realms of possibility is it? The tobacco industry did exactly the same….

Doodah x

treeza

I am & always will be a food addict!! It doesn’t rule my life as much as it did pre surgery but as the last couple of weeks have proven I still turn it food in my down days x

Lauren
    Keymaster

“Annemarie Quill: Obese playing victims hard to swallow”

Annemarie Quill: Obese playing victims hard to swallow – Opinion – Rotorua Daily Post News

This is what we are up against. It’s a difficult read but gives a valuable insight into how little sympathy there is for obesity, outside of the diet/wls community.

It will be going on the Streamline Facebook page a bit later so it will be interesting to see what people think.

Doodah x

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media