Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

is my honeymoon period over!

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    miss missy

hi everybody.i am so upset cos ive only lost 6lb in a month.i am 16 weeks post op tomorrow and started off at 19 1 and weigh today at 14 11.dont get me wrong i am delighted with being that weight now,but why oh why only 6lb in a month.thats ridiculous isnt it?also am ashamed to say that ive started smoking again the last couple of weeks.i gave up the day before my op but me with no willpower have fallen off the wagon.would have thought would have lost wot with smoking again.luckily for me or maybe its unluckily i seem to be able to tolerate most things apart from dried meats.i havnt eaten anything mega naughty like any sweet stuff but do enjoy the odd b ag of quavers and had sum pringles the other night.i really enjoy my food and have good variety of homecooked meals.how many calories should i be on now?cos think am having between 8 and 900 a day so am eating healthy and nowhere as much as i used to eat so if anybody has any suggestions how i can kick start to lose a bit more than a measly 3lb a week i would be very grateful.love from a down in the dumps(even on this beautiful day)melissa.xxx

ruby tuesday

Don’t be down in the dumps lovely, you have lost a substantial amount of weight in a very short time, and it is still coming off. That is good isn’t it! A regular person on a regular diet would aim only to loose 2-3 pounds per week, because the slow but sustained weight loss allows the body time to adjust, and should mean the weight can be kept off. You are enjoying your food, having a good variety, can tolerate most things, and say you have not been mega naughty, so be thankful lovely to be healthy, not vomiting, still loosing weight, and able to take pleasure in what you eat! We all get down, and I know you wanted more of a loss, but you are doing just fine, so put on something stunning you could never have worn before, look in the mirror, and tell yourself how beautiful you are, don’t tell yourself negative things. Just plod on, eat well, exercise regularly, enjoy life. xx

miss missy

bless you ruby for your lovely reply.it does worry me the amount i can actually eat.i feel like im losing control like i was pre op.thats wot i was hoping to acheive from the op.control.im still a greedy person and themore food i can get away with the more i will abuse this wonderful gift that ive been given.just wish i did have bad reactions to things cos that would rein me in.i think from tomorrow im gonna go back to basics for a couple of weeks.the dreaded calorie counting and see how that goes.much love.xxxx

Anonymous

Awww Missy sweetie,
    How could you ever be disapointed with what your achieving?
    Ths is a long term pla, not just a quick weight loss programme…
    Your lucky enough to not have problems with foods, many of us are the same so please count your blessings…. but be cautious.

It is too easy to progress back to old habbits when temptation grabs us for whatever reason…. its hard somedays, but so easy others.
    Your a long way off your honeymoon period… While your still loosing be grateful, you must be doinng something right…right?
    Otherwise you could be hitting plateaus and stalls.

Keep it up whatever your doing its working….. slowly slowly catchy monkey…..

Focus on the basics, vitamins and water….. they are so important, and enjoy your eating in moderation….. why not…

All the best

Buzz xxx

Irene

Hi Melissa,
    Sorry you are feeling down in the dumps, try not to feel ashamed about taking up the dreaded weed again. When you are out of the dumps I am sure you will be able to give it up again. As for the weight loss WOW you have done very well so far, but remember the body needs to catch up with the weight we lose so sometimes we lose inches and not pounds.
    Keep your chin up as you are doing sooooooooo well.

@miss missy 16998 wrote:

hi everybody.i am so upset cos ive only lost 6lb in a month.i am 16 weeks post op tomorrow and started off at 19 1 and weigh today at 14 11.dont get me wrong i am delighted with being that weight now,but why oh why only 6lb in a month.thats ridiculous isnt it?also am ashamed to say that ive started smoking again the last couple of weeks.i gave up the day before my op but me with no willpower have fallen off the wagon.would have thought would have lost wot with smoking again.luckily for me or maybe its unluckily i seem to be able to tolerate most things apart from dried meats.i havnt eaten anything mega naughty like any sweet stuff but do enjoy the odd b ag of quavers and had sum pringles the other night.i really enjoy my food and have good variety of homecooked meals.how many calories should i be on now?cos think am having between 8 and 900 a day so am eating healthy and nowhere as much as i used to eat so if anybody has any suggestions how i can kick start to lose a bit more than a measly 3lb a week i would be very grateful.love from a down in the dumps(even on this beautiful day)melissa.xxx

If you started at 19st and are now 14st that is a great loss in a very short time
    but you must try to remember that a bypass is suppossed to lose between 50% and occassionally up to 75% of your EXCESS weight only.(Although a few people do loose a lot more the majority don’t) so supposing you were supposed to be 10 st
    then starting at 19 st you have 9 st of excess weight-so 50% would be four and a half stone and although you can loose more
    the bypass has actually ”delivered” for you
    I KNOW THIS IS NOT WHAT YOU WANT TO HEAR and actually it may not be the case at all but that is a true fact of the matter.
    However -if you think about it REALLY carefully most weight losses slow down significantly and even STOP at the very same time that patients start to ‘snack” and what I still can not get my head around that it should not matter as we still eat FAR FAR less than we ever did pre op and yet we would have lost weight on that smaller amount!!!
    Having said that 6lbs in a month is still good at your weight
    I wish you well on your wl journey-but it really isn’t easy
    I have tried on several occassions to post these things to try to prepare people to what SOMETIMES (NOT ALWAYS) can happen-but I have been thought of as being negative.
    All the very best to you
    xxx

Ganny
    Participant

Hi Missy,
    I know how you feel I am 14 weeks post op this Wednesday and so far I have lost 67lbs, only lost a 1lb last week and was very disappointed but I think I have not been drinking enough so I have made a conserted effort this week to drink more but in saying that I know that even though I have not lost the weight I have lost the inches. Two weeks ago I brought a new pair of white trousers and when I tried them on no way would they do up, just tried them on again today and low and behold they slip on a treat and do up and don’t cut me in half so I know I have lost inches rather than the weight, guess as Irene says the body is catching up so please please don’t be disappointed you have done great with your weight lost and it is not quick fix we are in this for the long hawl.
    Elaine xx

Doodah
    Keymaster

Hi Missy

Congratulations on your briliant weight loss so far. You must certainly be feeling the benefits!

Don’t beat yourself up about starting smoking again too much. We all return to the things we think are helping in a time of need.
    Also, please don’t forget that you are probably more active now and that some of your weight is more than likely muscle. therefore, try measuring yourself instead for a while – I bet the inches have dropped.

It’s true we all need to accept there can be downsides to wls and that it is never plain sailing (I’ve had a few hiccups) but always remember, you have lost a brilliant amount already! Also, my friend asked me “When is my brain going to catch up with my body?” after his sleeve gastrectomy. He has lost over 20st but still thinks like a ‘fatty’. We decided that ‘Once a fatty, always a fatty’ should be our mantra as we will always see ourselves as such. He is now really slim but still hasn’t ‘forgiven’ himself for getting fat. I hope that makes sense!

Try concentrating on what you have already achieved (which is considerable!) and be kind to yourself – as kind as you would be to anyone else.

Please stay in touch and let us know how you get on. As for the dreaded weed, I gave up 32 years ago and thank goodness I did as I am now a chronic asthmatic. I gave up because my new boyfriend (now my husband of 30 years) hated it. I wanted him more than the fags!!! Young love eh?!?!

Doodah x

miss missy

thankyou my friends for your replies.i knew i could count on you all to make me feel better.i no ive done well and delighted to be 14 11.cant remember the last time i was that weight.about 5 years ago i think when i was in the lighter life diet.its just that up till 2 weeks ago i was losing about 10 to 12lbs a month and to go to just 6lb is a bit of a let down.if i was a mr men person i would be little miss impatient but if im totally honest i no im eating too much not exercising enough and not drinking enough.so the plan 4 the next 2 weeks is to count my cals walk the dog EVERY day(shell think its xmas)and drink as much as i can stomach.will see if that kick starts a bigger weight loss.gonna try and not go over 800 cals.i was reading an old post where the dicussion was about ice cream and somebody had written that theyd had a couple of small spoons of ice cream and 2 strawberries and they were much further down the line than i am so i no im eating way 2 much cos i had a normal size bowl of that the other day and could have eaten more but stopped myself.so my plan is in action and will report back on this in subject in 2 weeks.much much love.xxxxxxxxxx

miss missy

and can i ask why my post isnt in the main bypass section and has a little green arrow in it?sorry if im a bit thick but as i said before im computer illiterate.xxxx

@miss missy 17044 wrote:

thankyou my friends for your replies.i knew i could count on you all to make me feel better.i no ive done well and delighted to be 14 11.cant remember the last time i was that weight.about 5 years ago i think when i was in the lighter life diet.its just that up till 2 weeks ago i was losing about 10 to 12lbs a month and to go to just 6lb is a bit of a let down.if i was a mr men person i would be little miss impatient but if im totally honest i no im eating too much not exercising enough and not drinking enough.so the plan 4 the next 2 weeks is to count my cals walk the dog EVERY day(shell think its xmas)and drink as much as i can stomach.will see if that kick starts a bigger weight loss.gonna try and not go over 800 cals.i was reading an old post where the dicussion was about ice cream and somebody had written that theyd had a couple of small spoons of ice cream and 2 strawberries and they were much further down the line than i am so i no im eating way 2 much cos i had a normal size bowl of that the other day and could have eaten more but stopped myself.so my plan is in action and will report back on this in subject in 2 weeks.much much love.xxxxxxxxxx

Hi Missy
    this sounds like a gr8 plan
    and will kick start your losses again
    the woofie will think they are in heaven with all the ”walkies”
    all the best x

Doodah
    Keymaster

Great plan Missy!! Keep us informed’ Little Miss Impatient’ hahaha!!

Doodah x

Ganny
    Participant

Hi Missy,
    Just wanted to update you after only loosing a 1lb last week I made a conserted effort to drink more and to exercise more been weighed today and have lost a amazing 8lb’s am I chuffed or what so it goes to show I was not getting enough fluid, so I will keep on taking in more fluid and see how I get on.
    Elaine xx
    PS My weight lost total is now 75lbs in 14 weeks, whey hey.

miss missy

hi there.gonna weigh a week sunday so will post the results of my changes then.all going well so far.ganny that is brill.you must be jumping around with glee.how much are you drinking a day now?still dont think am drinking enough but find it so hard to get down.i dont drink tea or coffee so i think thats harder for me.and can somebody tell me why my post has now got a yellow arrow and in a different section to the main bypass posts.am finding it very confusing to find wot im looking for now the forum has changed.well done ganny again.hope i get the same results.much love.xxx

Missy,

Be careful with the smoking! My friend had gastric two years ago, at around 18 months post surgery she began smoking again. She landed herself in the hospital with a stricture and bleeding ulcer. She had to receive two units of blood. I feel your pain, I stopped two days before surgery! My husband still smokes as does one of my friends. I understand the need and desire. Just be careful. Good luck with the new plan.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media