Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Inspirational………. dunno, but I have surprised myself !

Home » Topics » Surgical Journey » Bariatric patient experiences » Bypass Patient Stories and Photos » Inspirational………. dunno, but I have surprised myself !

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Jimbo

Hi everyeone,

Way too long since I last posted anything so I Thought I would post something that might be of encouragement to anyone who’s going through the difficult bits as I was 18 months ago (Gastric Bypass October 2009)

I have posted on here about my time during that period but right now I am in the middle of cycling long distances in support of my dad who is in the final stages of a Lands End to John O Groats trip.
    No way could I have ever imagined that I could be doing this two years ago…… I hadn’t owned a bike in over 15 years !!

Well Since Monday I have cycled 250 Miles and tomorrow (with a bit of luck) we will arrive in John O Groats (I only started in Balloch, just north of Glasgow).

I found myself reflecting during the day that Life is completely different to what it would otherwise have been without the major change of GB surgery…… And almost without exception it is all positive. Yes I still have a few tricky moments with food, dumping if I over do the sugar (and I know when I am over doing it) but really it is nothing compared to the upsides.

So please, any / all of you who are thinking about it, struggling through the miserable liquids phases and wondering “What the hell have I done” or just becomming frustrated that the weight is not coming off fast enough, stay focused, have a goal and I guarantee that you can surprise yourself.

I downloaded some pictures from my dad’s camera tonight and I can’t believe it is me I am looking at (I checked with my wife and apparently it definitely is me). I will try to attach a pic to this post if I can, but irrespective I am nearly 10 Stone lighter than I was, still technically overweight but mostly due to body composition / muscle and WAY healthier / fitter than I have ever been……. it could, and with some focus / drive WILL be you ……. (and yes, I know that you don’t believe me)

I hope that everyone is moving along their journeys well, certainly the most positive thing I have ever done, stay focused….. YOU are worth it !

Jimbo

Jimbo

Trying again (and if this doesn’t work I give up)

And yes I know I don’t look happy in the 3rd picture but I knew how big the hill was we were to climb after lunch !

IMG_0058.jpg
    P6030950.jpg
    P6030959.jpg

mandyl

makes my 20 miles today look lame, well done x

luckyflower

I have not posted on here before,just tend to read. I just want to say that i found this so helpful. I am thinking about bypass and little scared about the journey , thank you for this encouragment!!!

Irene

Jimbo.

Wow what can I say you are an inspiration if ever there was one.
    Hope you enjoyed the ride .
    Well done to you and your Dad

ruby tuesday

Jimbo, great post, very inspiring and it has to be said, you look gorgeous! Well done, bet your family are really proud too.

Pinkdancer

Wow – inspiration or what!!!

What a fantastic difference you have made to your life and that of your family well done you.

Keep up the good work so pleased for you.

Jimbo

Oooo, I am shocked and almost blushing at the replies …… Thank you.

Mandy, 20 Miles is still TWENTY MILES, and frankly it’s more than almost everyone else has done today….. well done you…. When I started practising (training sounds WAY too posh) after I got my bike, I managed 9.75 Miles, had to stop 3 times, arrived at my destination / half way point looking terrible and had to get a lift home !!…. and that was only 3.5 Months ago.

Luckyflower, stay strong luv, It’s a long journey and you will need good support but taking such a positive step in one’s life can make many many things better for you and those you care about. Not sure if my previous post is still on here, perhpaps it might also offer something (Just one view / experience of course)

Irene & Pinkdancer…. Thank you.

Ruby Tuesday…….. :redface:

Perhaps if I am feeling brave, I will post a before picture on here too ?? Like many of you I am sure I have VERY few photos of me from before as I used to hide from cameras.

Pinkdancer

Yes Jimbo put the picture up.

Show the world the work you have out in to be fitter and healthier – go on be brave why should you be ashamed look at what you have achieved.

Ms Ellie

@Jimbo 16053 wrote:

Hi everyeone,

Way too long since I last posted anything so I Thought I would post something that might be of encouragement to anyone who’s going through the difficult bits as I was 18 months ago (Gastric Bypass October 2009)

I have posted on here about my time during that period but right now I am in the middle of cycling long distances in support of my dad who is in the final stages of a Lands End to John O Groats trip.
    No way could I have ever imagined that I could be doing this two years ago…… I hadn’t owned a bike in over 15 years !!

Well Since Monday I have cycled 250 Miles and tomorrow (with a bit of luck) we will arrive in John O Groats (I only started in Balloch, just north of Glasgow).

I found myself reflecting during the day that Life is completely different to what it would otherwise have been without the major change of GB surgery…… And almost without exception it is all positive. Yes I still have a few tricky moments with food, dumping if I over do the sugar (and I know when I am over doing it) but really it is nothing compared to the upsides.

So please, any / all of you who are thinking about it, struggling through the miserable liquids phases and wondering “What the hell have I done” or just becomming frustrated that the weight is not coming off fast enough, stay focused, have a goal and I guarantee that you can surprise yourself.

I downloaded some pictures from my dad’s camera tonight and I can’t believe it is me I am looking at (I checked with my wife and apparently it definitely is me). I will try to attach a pic to this post if I can, but irrespective I am nearly 10 Stone lighter than I was, still technically overweight but mostly due to body composition / muscle and WAY healthier / fitter than I have ever been……. it could, and with some focus / drive WILL be you ……. (and yes, I know that you don’t believe me)

I hope that everyone is moving along their journeys well, certainly the most positive thing I have ever done, stay focused….. YOU are worth it !

Jimbo

Hi there jimbo congratulations on your superb weight loss and achievements. we all look forward to hearing people’s stories like yours on here it gives most of us a real boost. I echo what the others have said you are truly an inspiration to us all.

Good luck xx

Ps lovely pictures

Ms Ellie

@mandyl 16057 wrote:

makes my 20 miles today look lame, well done x

Ere mrs …. 20 mies today 21 miles tomorrow and so on, continue like this and you will joining jimbo in Scotland!

Well done to you too Mandy

Much love Ellie dxx

Ms Ellie

@luckyflower 16058 wrote:

I have not posted on here before,just tend to read. I just want to say that i found this so helpful. I am thinking about bypass and little scared about the journey , thank you for this encouragment!!!

Hi there lucky flower welcome, don’t be shy if any of us can give you some help please let us know.

Ellie x

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media