Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

I’m just over 2 weeks banding post op

Home » Topics » Surgical Journey » The Gastric Band operation » The first 6 months of the Gastric Band » I’m just over 2 weeks banding post op

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Inder

Hi I’m Inder, after years and years of yo-yo dieting I was losing the will to live and decided to do something about it. I’m 50 in a couple of months and decided last year I didn’t want to be fat at 50. I gave dieting a last ditch attempt about a year ago, that with going spinning 4 times a week but I wasn’t able to shift any weight at all. My daughter and I were at a wedding last summer and we bumped into somebody my daughter knew but hadn’t seen for a while. Apparently she’d had the band fitted a couple of years ago. My daughter had to do a double take as she just didn’t recognise her at first. When chatting to her, the seed was planted. From then on I started looking into it in more and more depth. I was telling a good friend about my thoughts and he said he had a friend from school days who’d had the band fitted a couple of years ago and she looked fantastic. He kindly arranged a meeting with her and she shared all her experiences, good and bad, pros and cons with me. She also said it was the best thing she’d ever done. My mind was 95% made up before meeting her, but after that coffee morning, I knew without doubt I was going to go ahead with surgery. I came back and phoned Streamline and made my appointment for mid-January. When booking the appointment, I also asked of availabilty dates for surgery in Feb.

Most people I mentioned my thoughts to said I was just cuddly, not fat and thought it was very drastic to have surgery. I’m 5’3″ and and was squeezing into a size 18. I just wasn’t prepared to buy a bigger size. I hated looking at myself and just felt fat and ugly, especially over Christmas. Self confidence was also at an all time low but knowing I had my appointment booked I felt like there was some sort of light at the end of the tunnel. I’m fortunate enough not to suffer from the ailments that come with age like blood pressure, diabetes etc. I was also aware that the risk is so much higher the more weight you carry. It was a health thing and definitely a confidence thing. I know, from my ‘smaller’ days (although a few years ago) how good I felt about myself and how my confidence went through the roof.

Off I went for my consultation on 24th January. It all went well and I booked surgery for the 21st of Feb. Excited, and nervous at this point. I went for my pre-op assessment on 7th Feb and started my milk diet on 10th Feb. In hindsight, probably not the best move by me, but I also gave up smoking after 25 years on the same day. Again, I always knew I didn’t want to be still smoking at 50. What a shock to the body, no food, no cigarettes!!! My body went though a serious detox and I felt absolutely awful but also knew it was all for a good cause.

I went in for my surgery on 21st Feb and haven’t looked back since. I went in for my first band fill last Friday. Everything seems to be fine, I’ve already lost 7kgs. Although I can’t really see the difference, I already feel better about myself. It’s only the start of a very long journey. The dietician mentioned that it sounded like I would be ‘fine’ with most foods which is a bonus. I’ve not had any problems eating any foods up until now but I am following all the golden rules and taking it very very slowly.

The one problem I still have is the pain in my shoulder (well it’s more just above my armpit). It seems to come on when I’m in a car. Having returned to work yesterday after 2 weeks, after a 40 minute drive, then sat at a desk all day, I was in constant agony. Painkillers didn’t seem to have any effect. I’m the same again today:-( I mentioned it to the consultant last week and he didn’t seem to be concerned and said it would go with time.

Of the few people I have told about my banding, some know of ‘someone else’ that has also had the band fitted but many have chosen to be open about it. Other than the friend’s friend (who has been a great support and rock) I have no-one else to talk to. I looking forward to sharing my experiences and journey with others on here.

treeza

Welcome Inder to this amazing forum. My name is Teresa & I had a bypass 7 1/2 months ago. I don’t know anything about bands so can’t help you there but I do understand the journey to needing WLS & starting to understand the post surgery journey. I wish you all the very best & delighted your on the losers bench with us x take care x as Doodah say be kind to yourself x please keep in touch & let us know how your getting on x

Inder

Aaawww thank you Treeza. Like you, I don’t know much about the bypass but I’m too am glad that I’ve finally done something about it. I already wish I had gone down this road earlier but better late than never. I’m glad I’m already on my way to my new me and getting my life back.

Next appointment and band fill in 10 days, I’ll let you know how I get on:)

Doodah
    Keymaster

That ten days will fly by. before you know it you will be buying new clothes because nothing fits anymore! So much to look forward to.

Doodah x

jabbajabba

:wave:

Yippee and well done on the 7kg.

I know your very early days and you’re on a high but I just wanted to post a please ‘stick with the rules’ type thing. I got my band about 8years ago and managed to mess it up for quite a while. Basically because I hadnt quite figured it out, didnt know what I was meant to do. (yes, i know that sounds stupid) I then moved area and ended up defaulting from followup.

Having given myself a shake, watched the aussie blokes ‘golden rules’ video and got some fills again, Im now back and totally on it, 50kg down over the last year and a bit. 😀

I’m sure you’ve heard this all before but:

– stick to the rules
    – remember occasional plateaus are ok
    – DONT default from follow up
    – Remember, if you do mess it up you can pull it back.

Jabba 🙂
    p.s. sorry if that went a bit school teacher-ish

Doodah
    Keymaster

@jabbajabba 31472 wrote:

:wave:

Yippee and well done on the 7kg.

I know your very early days and you’re on a high but I just wanted to post a please ‘stick with the rules’ type thing. I got my band about 8years ago and managed to mess it up for quite a while. Basically because I hadnt quite figured it out, didnt know what I was meant to do. (yes, i know that sounds stupid) I then moved area and ended up defaulting from followup.

Having given myself a shake, watched the aussie blokes ‘golden rules’ video and got some fills again, Im now back and totally on it, 50kg down over the last year and a bit. 😀

I’m sure you’ve heard this all before but:

– stick to the rules
    – remember occasional plateaus are ok
    – DONT default from follow up
    – Remember, if you do mess it up you can pull it back.

Jabba 🙂
    p.s. sorry if that went a bit school teacher-ish

I would add: ask for help if you need it, trust the surgery, research, research, research, be kind to yourself and put yourself first for once.

Not school teachery at all – just encouraging 😉

Doodah x

Kookla

Hello Inder
    I am due for surgery on March 29th and starting milk diet on 22nd(for a band). I went for my pre op appointment and was quite disappointed with the food advice from the dietician so didn’t feel that informed for food post op aside from that it needs to be in liquid form, she more or less just read the booklet my consultant had given! I have pcos so post op diet is very important for me!
    I am just interested to know what you have been having to eat post op for your first 2 weeks. Well done on your weight loss so far.

jabbajabba

Oh yes, absolutely ask for help when you need it and sooner rather than later.

If you find yourself gaining or just having a bit of trouble with it then ask for help early. It gets much harder the longer you leave it!

Not that any of this will happen to you but its definitely something to be aware of with a band, it is very easy to eat round it especially if your head is not in the right place. Remember being too tight is just as bad as not being restricted enough, two tight = hard to eat = sweet stuff is easier…..

I guess that bit is obvious but I wish someone had spelt it out black and white for me first time round!

I don’t mean to scare you with all this btw, it is all obvious but its just what I wish someone had told me. I spent quite a while wishing I hadnt got a band when actually the problem was me, I just didnt have a clue what I was doing!

Doodah
    Keymaster

@jabbajabba 31494 wrote:

Oh yes, absolutely ask for help when you need it and sooner rather than later.

If you find yourself gaining or just having a bit of trouble with it then ask for help early. It gets much harder the longer you leave it!

Not that any of this will happen to you but its definitely something to be aware of with a band, it is very easy to eat round it especially if your head is not in the right place. Remember being too tight is just as bad as not being restricted enough, two tight = hard to eat = sweet stuff is easier…..

I guess that bit is obvious but I wish someone had spelt it out black and white for me first time round!

I don’t mean to scare you with all this btw, it is all obvious but its just what I wish someone had told me. I spent quite a while wishing I hadnt got a band when actually the problem was me, I just didnt have a clue what I was doing!

Nor scaremongering at all – simply being honest and helpful. Thank you. I think the Streamline team do a good job of reiterating what we should and shouldn’t be doing at every stage but it is up to us to make sure we do it right? That isn’t always easy by any means. I have been very naughty these past 3-4 days and have literally been to busy to eat. I always make sure I am hydrated though so can sometimes get away with not enough food (which is just as bad as too much!) I was very hungry the other night at around 1am but couldn’t find the energy to get out of bed and make something to eat. It was also FREEZING! Hunger no doubt contributed to me being so cold too.

I think we should all be aware of the things that can (and do) go wrong and do our level best to avoid them. It is easier with support don’t you think?

Doodah x

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media