Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

im a newbie

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    aw48

hi all, im starting my intense weight loss program on the 28th, im still waiting on 3 other test, has anyone else been on the milk diet if so what is it as im not a lover of milk so any help would be great :confused::confused:

Lauren
    Keymaster

@aw48 27242 wrote:

hi all, im starting my intense weight loss program on the 28th, im still waiting on 3 other test, has anyone else been on the milk diet if so what is it as im not a lover of milk so any help would be great :confused::confused:

Hi there and welcome to the friendliest place around!

I did the pre op diet four and a half years ago (just over that in fact) and found it easy. I think the reason being that I flavoured my milk most of the time. I had lattes, milkshakes and hot milk chocolate (sugar free) milkshakes (does that even make any sense?!) I kept my stock cube for the evening so it seemed like I was having something savoury for dinner and ate the jelly throughout the day when I felt the overriding need to ‘chew’.

I guess the best thing to do is remember that it is only for a short while and for a very, very important reason: to make your surgeon’s job easier, therefore, safer for you.

Whereabouts and with whom are you having your surgery and what type? We all get really excited for newbies as we know how wonderful your life will be in the future. You are in the right place for support and advice.

Doodah x

aw48

im from ireland and I feel alone as im too far away from the hospital and there ismt a support group on line. im excited as i know this is not just to change my life but to save it,

Ganny
    Participant

Hi,
    I did the milk diet nearly two years ago and like Doodah I found it quite easy. I flavoured my milk with sugar free milk shake, made milky coffee and lots of tea. I too kept my savoury drink for my dinner at night so it felt like I was getting a dinner and I also kept my jelly for the evening as well, oh I used some of the milk to make the jelly as well. I topped up through out the day if I felt hungry with sugar free squash and lots of diet fizzy drinks, I also crunched ice cubes for the feeling of actually eating something and I chewed sugar free gum.
    Hope that helps.
    Elaine xx

aw48

thanks a mill Elaine some great tips there im so excited now thank you

natalieyoung

Hi there I am from Ireland too. What surgery are you having? I had my lapband surgery on the 10th of November in Dublin.

Paul-H
    Participant

Hi

I am another one who found the milk diet very easy, although I only had to do it for 7 days.

Crusher no added sugar strawberry milkshake all the way for me and 100% milk coffee’s as well, it was like not being on a diet.

Paul

I managed to get round the milk diet, as I have never managed to drink milk. I can tolerate it if used in cooking but not as a drink. So for my pre op diet I did a low carb diet given to me by the dietitian but there are variations depending on what you Consultant allows. I have a friend who did a yoghurt diet it seems there are regional variations in pre op diet, do ask as I did!

Good luck

Lauren
    Keymaster

It’s true, there are quite a few other diets that can be done so it’s definitely worth asking your dietitian if you are lactose intolerant.

Whereabouts in Ireland are you? My family come from County Galway. Did you recently come to a support group in England? My name is Sue Smith and I work for Streamline Surgical. I was at the support group last Thursday at the Clementine Churchill Hospital in Harrow. If you don’t want to identify yourself on here, please don’t answer: I understand perfectly. We all do.

Anyway, welcome again and please know that we are all here to help you 😉

Doodah x

natalieyoung

I did a low calorie low carb diet instead of the milk diet my surgeon does not like putting his patients on the milk diet.

Lauren
    Keymaster

Like Natalie says, all surgeons have their own preferences. they all work so it’s just a matter of finding (and sticking to) the one that suits you.

Good luck. Please let is know how you are getting on.

Doodah x

aw48

im from co clare and im having my op in galway

Lauren
    Keymaster

My family are from Galway! Oughterard (think that’s how it’s spelt!) to be precise.

How different are things in the South of Ireland to over here as regards waiting times, pre op diet etc?

Doodah x

aw48

@Doodah 27356 wrote:

My family are from Galway! Oughterard (think that’s how it’s spelt!) to be precise.

How different are things in the South of Ireland to over here as regards waiting times, pre op diet etc?

Doodah x

cant really say as I first saw the consultant the end of august he was hoping to have me in in january as he said i was top priority, the pre-op test are very slow some can take months to get app for all in all im hoping to have the operation in june which makes it 10mts from first app, I have been told it could take up to 2 & 1/2 yrs,

Lauren
    Keymaster

@aw48 27399 wrote:

cant really say as I first saw the consultant the end of august he was hoping to have me in in january as he said i was top priority, the pre-op test are very slow some can take months to get app for all in all im hoping to have the operation in june which makes it 10mts from first app, I have been told it could take up to 2 & 1/2 yrs,

That’s about the same as here in some counties. In others it can be 1-2 months. I was one of the lucky ones and from my appointment with Shaw Somers to the surgery was about 5 weeks in total. However, I was very poorly indeed.

Hope yours is a nice smooth journey.

Doodah x

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media