Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

If you do not "dump" what does it mean – chemically?

Home » Topics » Surgical Journey » Eating and Drinking Pre and Post Weight Loss Surgery » If you do not "dump" what does it mean – chemically?

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    londonmag

I have either been more careful than I think, or I do not dump – am certain it is the later.

May be one for the surgeon team, but what does it mean for the body? Does the input of sugars just not effect you as a person?

Would love to understand how the bodies we have work differently

K

katy

Hi!

I am just under a year post op and I don’t dump either. Or so I think. I’m not however brave enough to test my theory as I had a horrible episode 3 days post op where I think I dumped but may have just done too much….either way I collapsed in a sweaty heap on the bathroom floor!!
    Instead I suffer with reactive hypoglycaemia…..the symptoms are similar but it doesn’t happen until 2 or 3 hours post eating a meal. This is not a refined sugar issue but more to do with complex carbs.
    My dietician confirmed my suspicions last week and suggested a diet of low GI carbs with lots and lots of protein to balance the carbs in my system.
    I’m sharing this as it demonstrates just how different we all are! Rather than fast absorption of refined sugars I am dropping my sugars so low that I get the sweatiness, headache, palpitations and dizziness. The only thing I can do is sleep it off…..as with dumping.
    I really think that everyone is very different but the guidelines we are given help us to make the correct choices and prevent the worst happening. If you are worried its always worth speaking to your dietician, they are such a fountain of knowledge!
    Good luck
    Katy

Paul-H
    Participant

Hi

I dump but not in the normal way, I will either get very bad sweats or blinding headaches, although not had either once I found out that was me dumping so just made extra sure I cept my sugars down to 6 grammes per meal.

Paul

londonmag
    Paul-H wrote:
    Hi

I dump but not in the normal way, I will either get very bad sweats or blinding headaches, although not had either once I found out that was me dumping so just made extra sure I cept my sugars down to 6 grammes per meal.

Paul

That’s why I find it so tricky Paul, even in the fortnight after the op, the “low fat” custard has about 20 grams of sugar in a pot, and I had no problems.

It is something else to add on the list to keep a tight check on !

More proof I guess to ensure we know that the op is a tool and not a fix in itself

K

Paul-H
    Participant

Hi

Another thing that my have a baring on this issue is that if I understand it correctly, the surgeons do three different length bypass’s, so the higher your BMI the longer your bypass will be and the more chance you have of dumping, I know in my case I had the short bypass as on the day of my surgery my BMI was about 35. So that might be the reason I don’t dump in the normal way and why you don’t dump, or you are one of the unlucky ones that don’t regardless of the bypass length.

The way I see it is that dumping or rather the fear of dumping is one of the reasons it works.

Just make a conscious effort to keep your sugar intake low, or else it will hinder your weightloss and Risc your health.

Paul

londonmag

Think I would have had long one Paul.

BMI was 59, but happily now 42 and lowering!

Will be keeping well focused on sugar though

K

Paul-H
    Participant

Hi

Yes at 59 you probably did have the longer one so ignore what I said, and keep an eye on not only the sugar content but also the fat content, not only is it easy to be a slim diabetic through too much sugar consumption but its also easy to have coronary heart problems by being slim and consuming too much of the wrong sort of fats as well.

Although WLS is a wonderful tool, a tool is all it is, for life we still have to fight our food demons, and putting the lid firmly on the sugar and fat consumption is one way to help. It is however quite healthy to consume sugar and fats in controlled amounts, unless you cannot for other medical reasons, Diabetes for one.

We just always have to be careful and keep an eye on what we are putting in our mouths. Maybe after 3 or 4 years we can say this is finally beaten, but I know in my case at almost one year they demons are still lurking in the background and have to be kicked into touch every now and then.

Paul

Lauren
    Keymaster

Absolutely fantastic support and advice guys.

My own personal experience in my fifth year post bypass tells me that even if you think you don’t dump, try eating something high in sugar or fat then see what happens….it certainly shows you who is boss still.

I got caught out about a month ago when we went to visit my sister on the Isle of Wight. I had pasta for lunch then didn’t wait long enough before I had a small ice cream. I almost passed out on the sea front. Had to sit on a bench in the rain until it passed as there was no way I could walk back to her house. I can’t believe (in hindsight) how stupid I was. It almost ruined the entire evening. All because I was ‘on holiday’ and wanted an ice cream like everyone else. If I had waited an hour, it would have been no problem. Or better still, not had one at all!

So, what I’m trying to say is that you might think you don’t dump but never, ever test that theory if you are out and about! In fact, just don’t do it at all – learn from a silly old fool like me….

Doodah x

Ganny
    Participant

Hi All,
    I am now nearly 2 years post bypass and 11 stone lighter and for the pass 6/8 months have been suffering really bad sweats,palpitations, being light headed. I went to my GP who thought I was suffering from “dumping syndrome” which normal happens a few weeks after the op not so far down the line as I am, she suggested a low carb diet which I did and still do but the symtons didn’t go away, so I was referred back to St Richards to see a Endocrinology consultant, who said that this is quite common in bypass patients and it is to do with the absorption of food to quickly or to slowly. I had to go back in December where they did an extensive glucose tolerance blood test to find out what was happening to my body over a period of two/three hours after a glucose drink. I was back at St Richards again last Friday and yes I do have a problem with how my body is coping or in my case not coping with any form of carbs/natural/ process sugar. Apparently your blood sugar should be below 5.6 mind is peaking well above that at the least little bit of carbs/glucose/sugar so what he is doing for me is arrangements are being made with my local hospital to see the dietician to try and work out a diet that agrees with me, I have to try a drug that will either help and slow down the absorption or it will make all that I eat pass straight through, in which case I will need to come off it as it will be to dangerous as it could cause malnutrician and dyhdration and I will have to control my symtoms by diet alone. I have been told I can expect to lose more weight which I don’t really mund as I could do with maybe loosing another stone but not much more than that. I am sure I will get this small problem sorted out this year but the way I look at it is, the bypass was a life saver for me and I can’t thank the lovely Mr John and St Richards for giving me back my life and if I have to give up carbs for the rest of my life then so be it, at least I am alive and healthy because if I had not been given this chance I am sure by now two years down the line I would 30stone plus and have no life, small price to pay no carbs.
    Elaine xx

Paul-H
    Participant

Hi Elain

Glad to hear they are finally getting to grips with your problem.

My bad sweats are also all under control as well, in my case I just went back on metformin and that controlled it fully.

Paul

Lauren
    Keymaster

So glad you are on the road to a more suitable diet Elaine. I’m always amazed at how our bodied cope with things.

I think we often forget that we can have other conditions post wls. We get so caught up in the mechanics of how our bodies now work that I think we can sometimes over look things and put it all down to wls. I’m certainly ‘guilty’ of doing it!

Jansus has posted on another thread that she had stopped losing so went back to basics. Not only has she lost weight again but has also reignited her dumping syndrome. How amazing is that? Our bodies do try so hard for us don’t they?

It makes me so very happy to know that you are living life to the full now and not regretting the fact that you have to live without carbs. I have to live without meat but, like you say Elaine, what a small price to pay for being alive 😉

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media