Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

I think I have a leak!!

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Mark

I had my gastric band in Jan ’11 and although it was a slow process, I managed to loose over 2.5 stone. I had ok restriction but my weight loss was slowing down so made an appt to see my Doctor Guy Slater last month for another fill.

Having had the fill, I had my first cuppa an hour after but noticed that there was no liquid backing up after a couple of gulps. Before the fill, I would have to stop drinking for a few seconds after a couple of mouthfuls before I could drink again. Not paying too much notice, I had my usual post-fill soup for dinner and didnt notice anything different. The next day however, I noticed that foods that would normally stick didn’t. This may sound odd but i felt ‘stomach bloated’ like I used to before my banding!

I had my appt at the Clementine Churchill/ Sudbury Clinic yesterday with Guy Slater and It seems that having had 9ml after my last fill, I only had 5ml left in the band!! I seemed to have lost 4ml in 2 weeks.

I had another 2ml put back in yesterday and unfortunately, as you’d expect, there’s no restriction. Guy did mention that there was a possible leak and for me to go back in a month to recheck the water level in the band.

I am a little concerned. Can anyone please advise??

hazelann70

Sounds to me like they have punctured the port line when you went for that fill. The only option is to have it replaced and hopefully as it is their fault it will be free. However, that’s not always the case. I’m sure in a court of law it would down to them to fix it as it was them who broke it but these things are often above the law! Fingers crossed something can be done as it’s obvious that you have a problem.

johncg

Hi mark

I hope this is not becoming a problem with a batch of ports… I have just had my port replaced by guy last Tuesday. As it developed a leak, ( cause not known to me) I did ask if I could see the power and shown the leak and how it could have happened but this was not forth coming.

My port developed the leak at six months, it was replaced free but I must admit I now wish I had opted for a bypass as it seems much more permanent.

Did you self fund? If so did you use a credit card?

John

Mark
    johncg wrote:
    Hi mark

I hope this is not becoming a problem with a batch of ports… I have just had my port replaced by guy last Tuesday. As it developed a leak, ( cause not known to me) I did ask if I could see the power and shown the leak and how it could have happened but this was not forth coming.

My port developed the leak at six months, it was replaced free but I must admit I now wish I had opted for a bypass as it seems much more permanent.

Did you self fund? If so did you use a credit card?

John

Hi John,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I did self fund and had to get an interest free credit card to do it. Although my surgery was 16 months ago, I hope to finally pay it off this month!

I did consider a bypass but I assumed this was not an option as I was right on the borderline weight to get the procedure done. It was also more expensive so my preference was for the band.

I am being careful to not put any weight on as I have no restriction, but still managed to put a couple of Kgs on. I’ll have to be more careful as my next appt is in a months time. Tried to get an earlier appointment but Guy suggested I wait till June so that he could confirm whether there was a leak.

How long did it take you to recover? Were you at the Clementine Churchill? How did it all happen? How long did you have to wait for the replacement port? Was it a general or local? Etc….

Mark

Mark
    hazelann70 wrote:
    Sounds to me like they have punctured the port line when you went for that fill. The only option is to have it replaced and hopefully as it is their fault it will be free. However, that’s not always the case. I’m sure in a court of law it would down to them to fix it as it was them who broke it but these things are often above the law! Fingers crossed something can be done as it’s obvious that you have a problem.

Thanks Hazelann70,

It had crossed my mind and I really do hope it’s not going to cost to rectify the problem. My wife and I are looking to move soon so the timing could have been better.

I am effectively without a band at the moment and it’s a scary thought!

johncg

Hi mark.

When the dr and new I had a leak I had to have the X-ray to see what was leaking the band or port or tube. The X-ray did not show a leak even though I lost several ml of fluid.

This took about 4 weeks to get to this stage. I then had an appointment with guy at the Sudbury clinic who tried to fill the band but said that he is sure its the port and they would replace it at no cost to me. I then went a further two weeks and had the port replaced last Tuesday. I have 6ml at the moment which is not a good restriction for me but we need to build up to the 8ml that I was at when the leak started. 8ml was a fantastic fill the restriction was just about perfect.

If streamline want to charge you for the replacement it’s worth contacting your credit card company… A few weeks ago on watchdog an item showed that the ladies who had Brest implants that leaked some were ably to recover the cost because they used there credit cards. This program was headed by Martin Lewis the money expert.

It’s so concerning that these leaks are becoming to the front.. I would have assumed the manufacturer and streamline would want to find out why these leaks are happening. Although we are told this could happen its also glasses over as its so rare, so you tend to think the chance if it happening is very rare but it happens more than we think..

I just hope I can get back to 8ml get another two stone off

John xxx

marie

I too sympathise as I had a band leak 4 months ago after everything being OK for 5 months. I was also told how rare it was but to be fair streamline were very quick at fixing it for no charge. I was told one of the joins in the pipework! had come away although it was very difficult to pick up after x-ray. I’m sure they will sort it out for you but I would push to get it done sooner rather than later! good luck

Mark
    johncg wrote:
    Hi mark.

When the dr and new I had a leak I had to have the X-ray to see what was leaking the band or port or tube. The X-ray did not show a leak even though I lost several ml of fluid.

This took about 4 weeks to get to this stage. I then had an appointment with guy at the Sudbury clinic who tried to fill the band but said that he is sure its the port and they would replace it at no cost to me. I then went a further two weeks and had the port replaced last Tuesday. I have 6ml at the moment which is not a good restriction for me but we need to build up to the 8ml that I was at when the leak started. 8ml was a fantastic fill the restriction was just about perfect.

If streamline want to charge you for the replacement it’s worth contacting your credit card company… A few weeks ago on watchdog an item showed that the ladies who had Brest implants that leaked some were ably to recover the cost because they used there credit cards. This program was headed by Martin Lewis the money expert.

It’s so concerning that these leaks are becoming to the front.. I would have assumed the manufacturer and streamline would want to find out why these leaks are happening. Although we are told this could happen its also glasses over as its so rare, so you tend to think the chance if it happening is very rare but it happens more than we think..

I just hope I can get back to 8ml get another two stone off

John xxx

Thanks for the heads-up.

I asked if an X-ray would be done to check for the leak but was told that it wouldn’t help which makes sense. I have an appointment in just under a month when Guy will check if the volume on my band has gone down. Cosidering I lost 4mls in 2 weeks, I’d be surprised if I didn’t loose more from my last measured 7mls. I imagine I’ll be scheduled in then if I have lost some. Which follows your schedule.

If I could put the restriction to any kind of scale, I had 60% restriction (if 80% is the ‘sweet spot’) when i went for my last fill and had less then 10% the next day. Like you, I had ok restriction after 8ml so 9ml would probably have been perfect. I’m pretty sure, going on my current state, it will be at least 10 weeks before I get to the right restriction. Very disheartening considering it’s taken me 16 months to loose just under 3 stone, with only 1 more stone to go!

Thanks for the advise regarding credit cards. Its good to know, just in case. Let’s hope i don’t need look into that.

It does seem, from examples that I’ve read (although I appreciate that we cant make any assumptions from potentially isolated cases) that either there is a manufacturing fault where the band joints are unable to cope with pressure from the fills, the port is prone to leaking, weakened by repeated fills or the pipe close to the port is not puncture proof. I’m certainly not an expert bit it does make you think…..

I know i sound a little less optimistic (cant spell pessimistic? 😉 ) but having the band is one of the best things ive done. Certainly made me feel good about myself, especially when going out! My wife has certainly noticed the change in me.

Good luck with it. I’m sure after the little setback, you’ll manage it! Let me know how you get on.

Do you go to any support groups near Harrow? If so, do you find them useful?

Mark
    marie wrote:
    I too sympathise as I had a band leak 4 months ago after everything being OK for 5 months. I was also told how rare it was but to be fair streamline were very quick at fixing it for no charge. I was told one of the joins in the pipework! had come away although it was very difficult to pick up after x-ray. I’m sure they will sort it out for you but I would push to get it done sooner rather than later! good luck

Thanks for that. I do get the impression that Streamline will do all they can to rectify any problems. I do have a lot of faith in Guy. He is very good!

I did try and hasten the process a little but will have to wait until the 7th June before I find out what the next step is.

How did you manage after the ‘change’ ;)? Did it take a while to get restriction again?

johncg

Guys…

For us who have had a set back it’s very very disappointing we have the worry of putting on weight.. The cost… Mental state of mind etc… but as been said streamline are one of the best of not the best to be with when a problem occurs.. I have tried to put my own situation into prospective…. Remember all the times we have gone on the Monday diet only to have a set back on Wednesday, start again next Monday, set back by Wednesday and so the cycle starts again… And my last set back lasted 20+ years. So a set back of 4/6 weeks falls into the the depths of beyond… We have to remember ( as hard as it is) but surgery is not the be all and end all. Its the best possible chance we have of getting to our own goal weight.. I say own goal weight Coss as far as I’m concerned my own goal weight is when I can stand tall, proud, and upright I front of a crowd and talk without feeling everyone is just looking at my belly… (and moobs) and feeling very confident with myself … The medical profession may have a slight slant on goal weight… I have very very nearly reached this own goal weight

Love John xxxx

Doodah
    Keymaster

I’m entirely biased but I honestly believe Streamline are the best. They really do care about their patients and it makes no difference whether you are private or NHS – everyone is treated with dignity and kindness. Putting it bluntly, if it were not for Streamline I wouldn’t be here now.

Doodah x

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media