Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

How do you cope on hoilday

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    tink1970

Just wondering I’m going away to Cyprus (first hols away) how do u cope…do u have to declare all your pills lol…. I know this sounds silly…. Tad worried as I’m going mid August why did I agree to it I ask myself think the panic has set in already. More worried about getting dehydrated c

Lauren
    Keymaster

@tink1970 28631 wrote:

Just wondering I’m going away to Cyprus (first hols away) how do u cope…do u have to declare all your pills lol…. I know this sounds silly…. Tad worried as I’m going mid August why did I agree to it I ask myself think the panic has set in already. More worried about getting dehydrated c

Tink this is a very good question.

I went to Corfu on my first holiday after wls! great minds eh?

Make sure you put all your medications in a clear plastic bag and include all your prescriptions or a printed list from your GP. This will apply wherever you go. I had to take two lots last year when I went to the Maldives because we were going the final few miles to the island on a seaplane. It meant our luggage would arrive later. So, half in my hand luggage and the other in my suitcase. This meant that if our luggage was late, I wouldn’t be without my meds and, more importantly, my inhalers. You do not need to declare your medications unless they are pressurised (like my inhalers.) But check with your airline to be sure.

As for keeping hydrated, just sip water all day long. ALL day long. You will find loads you can eat in Cyprus as they have a very healthy diet. I actually lost 8lbs on that holiday to Corfu!!! I swam every day, did plenty of ambling around plus (and this is only my own theory) the relaxation of being warm and in beautiful surroundings, made my digestive system work super efficiently.

Don’t panic but get TOTALLY excited. It’s almost the same feeling but one is negative and the other positive. Wls is all about leaving behind all the negative and embracing the positive so get those arms ready to hug the frilly heck out of life from now on ;-))

Doodah x

Whitey

Hi I was very worried about going on my first hols post bypass in fact I went through a stage when I didn’t want to go because I worried about food. I eventually decided I’d had this surgery to improve my life and I wasn’t going to stop doing anything. I went to Cyprus and coped well about 4 months post bypass. Plan to always have water with you and as Doodah says keep sipping. I took snacks with me for the plane in case there was nothing suitable. We stayed self catering in a villa which helped but I managed to eat out every night. Usually the portion size in Cyprus are very large so I either had a starter or asked for a small portion and if further questions were asked I just said I had stomach surgery so unable to eat very much. I did declare my surgery for travel insurance purposes but I know others don’t. Go and enjoy you will be fine x

Lauren
    Keymaster

I didn’t declare my surgery for travel insurance as i didn’t feel it was relevant. They always worry far more about my asthma which I have to declare everywhere I go. Wasn’t allowed to snorkel or scuba dive last year so had to wave my family off as they went… 🙁

Doodah x

Whitey

I know we have debated travel insurance before on here. I have heard of insurance companies not paying out for a claim when all pre existing conditions have not been declared. It could be unrelated to your medical condition but some insurers will look for any excuse not to pay out. You do have some cover in Europe if you have the EHIC card but for my piece of mind I have to declare everything even though it costs more.

Lauren
    Keymaster

Absolutely. Each to their own. All our circumstances are different. If I had declare all mine, it would take all day and cost as much as the holiday! I only include the life threatening one: asthma. If I were to get in trouble with it abroad, it could be deadly. I had to take special care last year as I was spending two weeks in the middle of the Indian ocean with the nearest hospital a 40 minute sea plane ride away. I’m also highly allergic to ibuprofen and Septrin which has to be declared.

You are right – always better to be safe than sorry but I just couldn’t see any reason to declare my wls as I have had no problems with it in almost five years.

Doodah x

Doodah x

tink1970

Thank you for the replies, thinking going to enjoy the clothes shopping more than hols it’s self ….. First time on a aeroplane, being away from home, leaving my dogs …. Haven’t got to worry about the children as we are taking the big babies with us lol x6 they range from 22 to 18 so might take some looking after x

Lauren
    Keymaster

@tink1970 28651 wrote:

Thank you for the replies, thinking going to enjoy the clothes shopping more than hols it’s self ….. First time on a aeroplane, being away from home, leaving my dogs …. Haven’t got to worry about the children as we are taking the big babies with us lol x6 they range from 22 to 18 so might take some looking after x

You will have a BLAST! And I bet you have more energy than your kids! We took our adult children on holiday last year (25 and 29) and it was brilliant. Like going with friends now. Made some treasured memories 😉

Doodah x

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media