Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Hope you are all ok.

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Lauren
    Keymaster

Hello my lovelies.

I just wanted to know if you are all ok as not many people are posting at the moment. I take this as, either you are all doing so well and enjoying life that you are too busy to pop on here with updates (that’s usually the reason) OR some of you are struggling and can’t bring yourself to share what’s happening.

If it is the former them I am absolutely delighted as it means this forum is doing it’s job! If it’s the latter, then I would like to know as there is nothing worse than feeling like you need help and being afraid to ask for it.

We never, ever judge on here. It’s not allowed. So, if you need support, please just ask for it. I check in every day and I know most people have a wee look several times a week. You are NOT alone.

Doodah x

bikerchris
    Participant

I’d noticed fewer posts too. I usually drop into the forum most days and I’m excited when I click on the “what’s new” button and see new conversations

The forum is really important to me and it was invaluable before I had my op and in the early days. It isn’t just that we are bound together by common experience, we are a bunch of lovely, friendly and supportive people.

Chris xx

Lauren
    Keymaster

@bikerchris 34876 wrote:

I’d noticed fewer posts too. I usually drop into the forum most days and I’m excited when I click on the “what’s new” button and see new conversations

The forum is really important to me and it was invaluable before I had my op and in the early days. It isn’t just that we are bound together by common experience, we are a bunch of lovely, friendly and supportive people.

Chris xx

I couldn’t agree more Chris.

Before I found, then started a support group, this place was my first point of call for any help and support I needed. I’m so grateful for all the encouragement I got (and still get) on a regular basis.

I’m going to have surgery pretty soon so there’s no doubt that I will be bending your ears and asking whether or not I am doing everything right!

If you are off enjoying life like never before then I could not be happier. If you are not dropping by because you feel you are struggling, please talk to us. It’s at times like that when we need each other most. And like Chris says, we are a friendly bunch!

Doodah x

Boo22
    Participant

Hi doodah, just logged in and saw your post so thought I’d let you know that all is good thank you and I’m sorry I don’t get on here too much lately as life is usually pretty busy! I’m almost three months post op now and three stone lighter which is amazing for me. I’m in a size 16 which I haven’t been for so many years! Touch wood I have been lucky enough so far to have had no complications and hardly any dumping and have lost any craving for bad foods! One thing however does worry me which is the vitamins issue. I currently just take one forceval capsule daily. I work in a gp practice and see letters with regard bypass patients who have had their surgery down by the lovely Mr Pring stating that they must take 2 daily plus calcium and vit d plus a three monthly b12 injection. These letters are generic ones, not patient specific, given to patients post op that have had surgery on the nhs. Obviously no blood tests done as yet as they are straight out of surgery. I am really concerned that I’m going to end up deficient in some way and can’t afford to get ill or tired. Should we definitely have b12 injections 3 monthly and be taking calcium and vitamin d regardless of blood test results? I’m seeing Juliette next month and will discuss further then but what do you all take? Many thanks in advance.
    Boo xxx
    Hope you are all well and look forward to hearing from you

Lauren
    Keymaster

@Boo22 34881 wrote:

Hi doodah, just logged in and saw your post so thought I’d let you know that all is good thank you and I’m sorry I don’t get on here too much lately as life is usually pretty busy! I’m almost three months post op now and three stone lighter which is amazing for me. I’m in a size 16 which I haven’t been for so many years! Touch wood I have been lucky enough so far to have had no complications and hardly any dumping and have lost any craving for bad foods! One thing however does worry me which is the vitamins issue. I currently just take one forceval capsule daily. I work in a gp practice and see letters with regard bypass patients who have had their surgery down by the lovely Mr Pring stating that they must take 2 daily plus calcium and vit d plus a three monthly b12 injection. These letters are generic ones, not patient specific, given to patients post op that have had surgery on the nhs. Obviously no blood tests done as yet as they are straight out of surgery. I am really concerned that I’m going to end up deficient in some way and can’t afford to get ill or tired. Should we definitely have b12 injections 3 monthly and be taking calcium and vitamin d regardless of blood test results? I’m seeing Juliette next month and will discuss further then but what do you all take? Many thanks in advance.
    Boo xxx

Hi Boo.

It’s fantastic to hear you are doing so well! You must be thrilled and quite rightly so.

We spoke about vitamins and injections the other evening at support group. I asked Mr Somers how often we should get our bloods done and he said once a year. The group then discussed vitamins and minerals which are, apparently, tailored to each person’s requirements. The most usual supplements are a multi vitamin and mineral supplement, Vitamin D, and Calcium (especially for ladies of a certain age, like me!) I have not had a B12 injection in 7.5 years! I get my bloods done quite often for another issue and they are almost always ok. However, I’m not a clinician so rely on what my team have told me to do.

I think your best bet is to refer back to your GP or ask one of your team exactly what you need. We are all very, very different so there is no definitive answer as such. Juliette will know what you need as it also depends of what type of wls you have had.

Thanks for dropping by!

Doodah x

penny

Hello all,
    sorry not been in touch lately been very unwell moving around like i was 20 years older than i am. but have now turned a corner i think, i did see the lovely C Pring and he believed it was were my port was taken out and there is a lot of scar tissue pulling on things not sure what things but there is some bits stuck, he said time will settle this , if i still feel bad get back in touch with him. today i walked half way to work about 30 minutes , worn out when i got there but fine after a rest. i am eating fine to fine actually i did ask c Pring how big is my stomach as i do seem never to feel restriction ever! not sure what that would feel like. sorry i am going on and on, i do hope you are all well best wishes to you , chris and boo xxx

Kimberly
    Participant

@penny 34883 wrote:

Hello all,
    sorry not been in touch lately been very unwell moving around like i was 20 years older than i am. but have now turned a corner i think, i did see the lovely C Pring and he believed it was were my port was taken out and there is a lot of scar tissue pulling on things not sure what things but there is some bits stuck, he said time will settle this , if i still feel bad get back in touch with him. today i walked half way to work about 30 minutes , worn out when i got there but fine after a rest. i am eating fine to fine actually i did ask c Pring how big is my stomach as i do seem never to feel restriction ever! not sure what that would feel like. sorry i am going on and on, i do hope you are all well best wishes to you , chris and boo xxx

Hi penny so sorry to hear that your in pain but pleased that the surgeons are on to it .

Kimberly
    Participant

@Boo22 34881 wrote:

Boo xxx

Hi boo the cardiac rehab nurses contacted the dietitian recently as I was on one Forceval a day and via d and calcium. cacti D3 . But because of being on Warfin and having to monitor the bit k in my diet they edited it was better to have two sanatogen a day and the cacti . As the forceval doesn’t have vitamin k in which was a problem for my bloods . I never had vitb12 injections yet ! But having blood done soon . I don’t think there’s a problem as the cardio surgeons do loads of bloods in October .

Lauren
    Keymaster

@penny 34883 wrote:

Hello all,

Hi Penny

I hope by now you are feeling much better. There is so much illness going around that I think almost every person I know has either been ill or has had to take care of someone who has been poorly.

As for restriction, are you eating as much as before wls? That’s what you have to compare your intake to. It’s so easy for our portion size expectation to become skewed.

If you have seen Chris Pring, please let us know what was said (if you would like to of course.)

Doodah x

Lauren
    Keymaster

I’ve just had the most wonderful weekend. My Sister married the love of her life on Saturday. They were married in a Royal Navy chapel on a Naval base. It was one of the best weddings I have ever been to. To see my family from all over the world all together for a happy reason for a change was so heart warming.

I was chief bridesmaid! At my age! See, it’s never too late….

Doodah x

bikerchris
    Participant

That’s wonderful, congratulations to the happy couple. Life after wls throws us gems like this for us to treasure x

Lauren
    Keymaster

@bikerchris 34897 wrote:

That’s wonderful, congratulations to the happy couple. Life after wls throws us gems like this for us to treasure x

It really does. I’m eight years out this year and I still feel so lucky. I never take it for granted 🙂 x

Kitten
    Participant

Hi Everyone, just getting myself into good habbits, have stopped using my treadmill as a towel rail, and using it for its intended purpose – poor neighbours – I turn up the music and sing along whilst out of breath and dripping in sweat (keeping the bedroom curtains closed, as I look a right state)! Looking at healthy food yoghurts, monin etc incase I do manage to go for bypass, cut right down on tea with sugar from about 9 cups a day to 2. Having readybrek, eggs, veg, tuna, nothing sweet in the house much to my teen’s disgust (they have money if they want to get their own). Just doing some research, and have found that once someone is obese, the body changes, and it is so much more difficult to lose any weight at all, and all the hormonal messages get messed-up, so it is more complicated than energy in, verses energy out once you have become obese, and the only way to re-set the biology is weight loss surgery, and to start again. It makes me feel less guilty about being fat, but I won’t use it as an excuse to stop trying.

Lauren
    Keymaster

Hi Kitten.

Well, what can I say? You are doing SO much to get yourself healthy. I’m worn out just reading it!

It’s known to be true that once you reach a certain level of obesity, dieting is no longer successful in the long term. In fact, do any ‘diets’ work? I lost the same three stones ten times over. Long term healthy eating is what we should all be working towards in my humble opinion.

The most important point is – never feel guilty about needing surgery to help you lose weight. Would you feel guilty about having your leg in plaster if you broke it? No-one becomes obese on purpose and food can be just as addictive as alcohol, tobacco and recreational drugs.The only difference is that you can’t go ‘cold turkey’ with food and give it up altogether!

Weight loss surgery is an amazing tool, but you still have to work hard for the best results. So, keep up the hard work you are doing now to make positive changes because, if you do have weight loss surgery, you will be in exactly the right frame of mind to make it work. You are doing brilliantly.

Doodah x

• This reply was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by Lauren. Reason: typo
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media