Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Hiya, I’m a newby being banded on 11th March at Clementine Churchill, Harrow

Home » Topics » Welcome to Streamline Surgical » Introductions to Weight Loss Chat Forum » Hiya, I’m a newby being banded on 11th March at Clementine Churchill, Harrow

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Tagged: 

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Kookla

Thank you so much and good to hear from a fellow pcos sufferer! I am glad to hear of success. I would like to lose approx. 3.4 / 4 stone, so am hoping the band will give me the tool to control and assist with the right food choices for pcos and to get those insulin levels down! I have been lucky with my cycles and have a child, but its the weight loss that helps with other symptoms.

Looking forward to this journey.

audrasharon

H Kookla, just wanted to say welcome and good luck. Advice for milk diet would be drink plenty of water on top of the milk amounts really helps with reduce headache. If you start to get constipated take some magnesium hydroxide before it gets too bad. 3-4 days after not going it with save you from lots of pain and discomfort. I did the milk diet twice ( as I was cancelled first time round) 1st time for 15 day 2nd time for 12 days and it was fine if you follow the advice. X

katy

Hi kookla

Welcome to the friendliest forum in the world!
    I had a bypass 2 years ago and had severe PCOS. I was on metformin for 10 years and prior to that had been taking dianette but my periods were so sporadic. I could have one that lasted a month and then not have one for 2 years!
    I have lost 11 stones and my PCOS reversed (probably within 6 months of the surgery)
    My periods are pretty regular now. My skin is much better and although I have had some laser treatment, the excess hair I really suffered with is much improved. I take no medication and am pretty sure my fertility would be much improved (considering I now have regular cycles)
    I do still crave sweet things sometimes but gave learned to manage it by eating fruit or drinking water!
    My gynae doc always said PCOS was a vicious cycle as it causes weight gain but also makes it really hard to lose. If you can break that cycle then that is the key!
    Anyway I wish you the best of luck and I hope this helps

Enjoy the ride!!
    Katy

Lauren
    Keymaster

@Kookla 31481 wrote:

Hi

I am a newbie -being banded on March 29th at St Richards, had pre op appointment today and starting milk diet on 22nd March. Suffer from PCOS – would be interested if anyone has had success whilst having PCOS as worried the band wont work!
    Looking forward to this journey -any advice / support would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Hi Kookla and welcome to our friendly forum (which is a growing family now!)

How are you today? It’s all so exciting but a week bit scary too isn’t it?

So, this week is the week! I cannot wait to hear all about your journey. If you live near enough, why not join our support group? There is one in Harrow and one in Portsmouth (which I run.) You will receive the warmest of welcomes form amny of the people here on this forum.

Hotels in Portsmouth | Holiday Inn Express Portsmouth

Third Thursday of every month (this month’s is 20th so maybe not possible) at 19:30 in the restaurant are on the first floor. It is fully accessible and they do nice coffee/tea!

Who is doing your band? I had my bypass in St Richard’s. The team there are wonderful. Look forward to your next update.

Doodah x

Kookla

Hi Katy

Thanks for your info and congrats on your success. I have been lucky in that I have had cycles although they are currently a bit hit and miss but have had a child – its more about weight gain and loss and I am hoping the band will help me have more control and be able to choose more suitable foods and amounts. I have about 3 /4 stone to lose so I am hoping the band will help me.

Kookla

Hello Doodah

Thanks for your message.

I have to start the milk diet on Saturday just one week before, my BMI is 32 so was advised a week before was fine to start. Chris is doing the band, and I am really looking forward to starting this journey.

Great to know about the support group in Portsmouth.

Its also good to read the information that is shared here.

Thanks

Kimberly
    Participant

Hi kookla
    not long until the milk diet , you organised ? It’s ok . I found the sugar free syrups really helpful,, and I divided the jelly up into three old yogurt pots , psychologically I felt that I was having some thing to eat every meal ! And lamb oxo in the evening

Lauren
    Keymaster

That’s exactly what I did Kim. The savoury drink in the evening felt like ‘dinner’ because it was like gravy lol! Shame no mash, cabbage and veggie sausage to go with it haha!

The milk diet was perfect for me – easy to follow and no faffing about. And I still love milk! Have any of you gone off it?

Doodah x

Kookla

Hi again

Well after a successful band op I am now 6 days out. I have learnt in these days that I have the ability to burp with the best of them much to my 9 year olds delight!!!!

Couldn’t eat much at all for the first few days and the trapped wind was very painful but am now up and about and feeling happy. I have lost 8 pounds since my op, and since I have pcos this is a complete miracle! I have started to notice appetite creeping back but I am keeping to controlled portions of pureed foods as I would like to lose more before my first fill.

Could I ask you who decides how much goes into your band on the first fill? just concerned that I have read that some people seem to have no restriction after the first fill and restriction is what I need to control myself.

On a very positive note, I saw 2 people this week who hadn’t seen me for 2/3 weeks and both commented that I was looking well and had I lost weight? I never said I was 4 days post gastric banding but it made me feel so b**** great and positive.

Thanks everyone

K

Lauren
    Keymaster

@Kookla 31834 wrote:

Hi again

Well after a successful band op I am now 6 days out. I have learnt in these days that I have the ability to burp with the best of them much to my 9 year olds delight!!!!

Couldn’t eat much at all for the first few days and the trapped wind was very painful but am now up and about and feeling happy. I have lost 8 pounds since my op, and since I have pcos this is a complete miracle! I have started to notice appetite creeping back but I am keeping to controlled portions of pureed foods as I would like to lose more before my first fill.

Could I ask you who decides how much goes into your band on the first fill? just concerned that I have read that some people seem to have no restriction after the first fill and restriction is what I need to control myself.

On a very positive note, I saw 2 people this week who hadn’t seen me for 2/3 weeks and both commented that I was looking well and had I lost weight? I never said I was 4 days post gastric banding but it made me feel so b**** great and positive.

Thanks everyone

K

Hi Kookla

Welcome to the ‘loser’s bench’! What a fabulous start you have had. I love how it amuses your child that you can now belch like a navvy haha!

The decision on how much fill you have at your first appointment is very much a team effort with your surgeon and you. However, please be aware that your insides will still be swollen from surgery so I would say this – if it were me, I would follow the surgeon’s recommendation 100% as they have afar better idea of what you will need in the early days. It can take some considerable time and adjustment to find the ‘sweet spot’ so be prepared to be patient. Bypassers lose weight very rapidly and bandsters more slowly. The important thing is that we all get to the same point in the end – like the hare and the tortoise!

I’m delighted that you are feeling so positive and that people are beginning to notice the changes already. It makes you feel great doesn’t it?

I’m sure some of our lovely bandsters will come along and give you far better ‘advice’/support than me.

Doodah x

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media