Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Hiya, I’m a newby being banded on 11th March at Clementine Churchill, Harrow

Home » Topics » Welcome to Streamline Surgical » Introductions to Weight Loss Chat Forum » Hiya, I’m a newby being banded on 11th March at Clementine Churchill, Harrow

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #29844
    Soolie
    Member

    Hi everyone, my name is Soolie, I am 52 years old and have battled with my weight all my life. I can not do this on my own anymore… I have done Weight Watchers, Slimming World, hypnotherapy – you name it I’ve tried it and athough I have initial success I just CAN NOT keep at it. I lapse and end up heavier than when I started. I am miserable, I dont look in the mirror any more, not really, I certainly dont see the fat lump that I have become – I am 227lbs and am lazy and immobile, just because everything takes so much effort. I am small compared to some, but hey, its all relative. I’ve made the decision to have a gastric band and had my first consultation on Monday 10th February and am now booked for surgery on 11th March in London.

    I am worried about my health, I’ve given up smoking at last, and now fear diabetes etc as I get older. I am very happily married but have no kids, so no one to look after me when I get old and grey !

    I am excited and scared in equal part – and have joined this forum for support and information from all you good people. I want to share this journey with you and desparately want you to tell me your stories and how its worked for you.

    Love and best wishes to you all as we travel this path together xxxxxx
    🙂

    #32442
    Kimberly
    Participant

    Hi Soolie welcome your find every one really helpful and supportive . I’m nearly three months post surgery and despite my moan this morning , my healthy has dramatically improved and I don’t regret it

    #32444
    treeza
    Member

    Hi there Soolie & welcome to our friendly & supportive forum. We are so lucky to have somewhere to go to, to celebrate out successes, talk about our down days & to help & support people going through this journey post WLS. I had gastric bypass surgery 7 months ago. I have only one regret that I didn’t have the courage to do it sooner. We all reach the point of needing to have surgery for different reasons but generally we have finally said enough is enough I want to be happier & healthier. We are blessed that there are amazing surgeon out there who can do this life changing surgery for us x keep in touch x

    #32437
    Lauren
    Keymaster

    @Soolie 31143 wrote:

    Hi everyone, my name is Soolie, I am 52 years old and have battled with my weight all my life. I can not do this on my own anymore… I have done Weight Watchers, Slimming World, hypnotherapy – you name it I’ve tried it and athough I have initial success I just CAN NOT keep at it. I lapse and end up heavier than when I started. I am miserable, I dont look in the mirror any more, not really, I certainly dont see the fat lump that I have become – I am 227lbs and am lazy and immobile, just because everything takes so much effort. I am small compared to some, but hey, its all relative. I’ve made the decision to have a gastric band and had my first consultation on Monday 10th February and am now booked for surgery on 11th March in London.

    I am worried about my health, I’ve given up smoking at last, and now fear diabetes etc as I get older. I am very happily married but have no kids, so no one to look after me when I get old and grey !

    I am excited and scared in equal part – and have joined this forum for support and information from all you good people. I want to share this journey with you and desparately want you to tell me your stories and how its worked for you.

    Love and best wishes to you all as we travel this path together xxxxxx
    🙂

    Hi Soolie and welcome to our friendly forum.

    Well, I can see that your journey so far has been very, very similar to everyone else’s – yoyo dieting and declining health and happiness to look forward to in our old age! Luckily for us, there is a solution. Thank heavens for wls eh?

    Where and with whom are you having your surgery? And what wls are you having?11 March will come round SO quickly! Are you doing the milk pre op diet or another kind? It is quite normal to feel excited and scared equally. In fact, if you were not at all scared , you might not have realised the impact surgery will have. You have to be prepared to follow the guidelines and change your whole way of eating. It takes time and effort but my life, it is worth it! My surgery saved my life – what more could I have asked of it? As Teresa says, i just wish I had done it sooner.

    Have you joined a support group? Streamline surgical have two – one in Harrow with the lovely Stacey Brova and one in Portsmouth with yours truly! Everyone is welcome and you don’t have to have had your surgery with Streamline.

    I look forward to hearing all about your journey and remember, we are all here to help. It’s a tough one so lean on us whenever you need to.

    Doodah x

    #32454
    clairec
    Member

    Hi Soolie,
    Welcome to this wonderful forum. I know how you feel, I think! I had my op at the Clem last Tuesday, a bypass and I am doing great really. I don’t know where you live but support is everything in this. I was discharged from the Clem on the day of their group last Thurs and it would have been a step too far to go that day. I have to say that I have never been to Portsmouth, and will probably get lost, but I really want to go to the Portsmouth group because all the support I have been getting on here is from people in the Portsmouth group. They are wonderful, simply great! Treeza is meeting me outside tonight when I go, and my husband Alan is coming too. I can not wait to meet everyone for the first time.

    So if you can get to a group as soon as possible I think that will really help. I am sure that both groups are both great, but in you connect with people on here, it is worth travelling I think to go to the one which feels more supportive. That is only my opinion though and the support will be here from everyone, whatever and wherever you choose.

    Meanwhile take care and looking forward to being in contact with you as you carry on with your journey
    Claire

    #32446
    830830
    Member

    Hi Soolie!
    My name is Julie and like you, came to a similar conclusion about the future of my health.
    I had tried everything, loosing weight but never keeping it off for very long.
    This completely put me off dieting which was my life long regime, leaving me in limbo and panic into which way I should go next with my weight.
    I am the same age as you, and I feel I have a good few years ahead of me still, so I decided to research wls surgery as a potential option for me.
    I am very new at all this as I had my surgery on the 8th February 14.
    I recommend attending a support group before finally making up your mind on this huge descision- wls is not ideal for everyone – research as much as you can.
    Your surgery date will come round quickly for you.
    We try to be as supportive as possible on this forum- we all have something in common to connect us.
    Welcome to the forum,
    Julie

    #32436
    Lauren
    Keymaster

    I have just noticed you have stated that you are having a band. That will teach me not to pay attention won’t it haha??!!

    Doodah x

    #32457
    Soolie
    Member

    Thank you all for your kind welcoming words! I would love to come to the Pompey group where and when do you meet pls?
    Xxxx

    #32448
    Soolie wrote:
    Thank you all for your kind welcoming words! I would love to come to the Pompey group where and when do you meet pls? Xxxx

    Hi soolie

    I was banded sept 21 2013…..after many years of yo-yo dieting!!!

    I am now 3 stone 5lb lighter….and gone from a size 20 to a 12-14….

    I personally have had very few difficulties at all really, just silly things like leaving to long between meals which make you eat quicker and are more susceptible to getting food stuck and did a couple of weeks ago eat to much and Ohhh did I know about it, but other than that nothing really!

    I eat 5-6 spoons of Special K in a morning ( half spoons or even less)

    A worburtons thin with ham in for lunch

    Maybe a ryvita thin mid afternoon

    And veg and chicken served on. SmAll plate for tea

    The weight loss is very slow now but although the scales arnt moving a great deal my body shape is ?

    I wouldn’t say I was ill after the op but more sore is a better way to explain it.

    As long as you do everything that is asked of you you will be fine honest!!!
    You will be kicking yourself wishing you’d done it years ago ?.

    They will be certain foods that you won’t be able tolerate in time, mine is mainly red meat and bread, skin off pears and oranges, and doughy things!

    I have got 6.75 ml in my band now and am nearly at what they call the sweet spot so I’m a little bit more reluctant to go for another fill yet, my last fill was 16 th jan…..

    Good luck on your journey Hun and honestly you have nothing to worry about!!!! A little bit of discomfort from the op and that is it!!!!

    GOOD LUCK

    LISA

    #32435
    Lauren
    Keymaster

    @Soolie 31178 wrote:

    Thank you all for your kind welcoming words! I would love to come to the Pompey group where and when do you meet pls?
    Xxxx

    https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Holiday+Inn+Express+Portsmouth+-+Gunwharf+Quays/@50.795699,-1.104474,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0xc6ea96b37fd25407

    Please click onto this link Soolie.

    Every third Thursday at 19:30 – 21:30. first floor in the restaurant area to the left. We would all love to see you at the next one! I can guarantee you a very warm, supportive and friendly welcome.

    you can private message me or email me should you wish to know anything you would rather not share so ‘publicly’. my email address is:

    sue.smith@streamline-surgical.com

    Doodah x

    #32456
    Soolie
    Member

    @”Doodah 31199″ wrote:

    https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Holiday+Inn+Express+Portsmouth+-+Gunwharf+Quays/@50.795699,-1.104474,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0xc6ea96b37fd25407 Please click onto this link Soolie. Every third Thursday at 19:30 – 21:30. first floor in the restaurant area to the left. We would all love to see you at the next one! I can guarantee you a very warm, supportive and friendly welcome. you can private message me or email me should you wish to know anything you would rather not share so ‘publicly’. my email address is: sue.smith@streamline-surgical.com Doodah x

    Thank you, is that the 3rd Thursday of every month? Yes I will definitely come, can hubby cone too?

    #32455
    Soolie
    Member

    @”flutterbylily 31181″ wrote:

    Hi soolie I was banded sept 21 2013…..after many years of yo-yo dieting!!! I am now 3 stone 5lb lighter….and gone from a size 20 to a 12-14…. I personally have had very few difficulties at all really, just silly things like leaving to long between meals which make you eat quicker and are more susceptible to getting food stuck and did a couple of weeks ago eat to much and Ohhh did I know about it, but other than that nothing really! I eat 5-6 spoons of Special K in a morning ( half spoons or even less) A worburtons thin with ham in for lunch Maybe a ryvita thin mid afternoon And veg and chicken served on. SmAll plate for tea The weight loss is very slow now but although the scales arnt moving a great deal my body shape is dde04 I wouldn’t say I was ill after the op but more sore is a better way to explain it. As long as you do everything that is asked of you you will be fine honest!!! You will be kicking yourself wishing you’d done it years ago dde09. They will be certain foods that you won’t be able tolerate in time, mine is mainly red meat and bread, skin off pears and oranges, and doughy things! I have got 6.75 ml in my band now and am nearly at what they call the sweet spot so I’m a little bit more reluctant to go for another fill yet, my last fill was 16 th jan….. Good luck on your journey Hun and honestly you have nothing to worry about!!!! A little bit of discomfort from the op and that is it!!!! GOOD LUCK LISA

    Oh thank you Lisa xxx

    #32434
    Lauren
    Keymaster

    @Soolie 31210 wrote:

    Thank you, is that the 3rd Thursday of every month? Yes I will definitely come, can hubby cone too?

    It IS the third Thursday of every month and your husband is more than welcome to come with you. We actively encourage supporters, especially family members as the journey is one that affects everyone.

    Look forward to seeing you on the 20th march, 19:30. It will be the day after I move house so please forgive me if I look/sound frazzled haha!

    Doodah x

    ps I am Sue Smith, Communications Assistant at Streamline Surgical.

    #32449
    Kookla
    Member

    Hi

    I am a newbie -being banded on March 29th at St Richards, had pre op appointment today and starting milk diet on 22nd March. Suffer from PCOS – would be interested if anyone has had success whilst having PCOS as worried the band wont work!
    Looking forward to this journey -any advice / support would be very much appreciated.

    Thanks

    #32445
    treeza
    Member

    Hi kookla welcome :0) my name is Teresa & I’m nearly 8 month post bypass! I obviously can’t say much about banding I’m afraid but I to have pcos & it really hasn’t been an issue! Pcos can give you carb cravings (in my case they do! but we are all individuals so have different symptoms). I think that’s why a lot of people with pcos have weight problems. I haven’t had any cravings so far! Just be warned if your like me & your periods have always been few & far between be prepared for them to spark back to life when you start losing weight!!! I’m 50 & gutted they have returned but for everyone wanting to get pregnant it’s a god send x I hope your surgery helps you in all the ways you hope x

    this forum is great with loads of helpful, kind & compassionate people who will help all they can.

    Please keep in touch so we know how your getting on. X

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Search Forums

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media