Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Higher prices for plane tickets based on weight

Home ยป Topics ยป General Section ยป Obesity & Weight Loss Surgery Debates and Media. ยป Higher prices for plane tickets based on weight

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Lauren
    Keymaster
    hides

No I bloody don’t …… Plain and simple , for many reasons,on lots of different levels . Next we’ll be judged on hair colour etc etc . (We’re will it stop )

My blood is boiling over !!!!!!
    Heidi .

Lauren
    Keymaster

It wouldn’t work anyway. what about very, very tall people who weigh much more than us shorties but are not fat? Like you say, where will it stop?

Are you still fuming Heidi?!

Doodah x

londonmag

Problem is, my gorgeous brown hair doesn’t take more than its own seat, my 31 stone did. I have now dropped to just over 20 since the op in October but was nervous of getting on a plane as I would need an extender belt, couldn’t get a table down and belly was on-top of person sitting next to me – they never said anything – however if they had, it would not have been about my accent or hair colour. I couldn’t fit in a seat and needed 2 of them. My size not weight really the issue, so, sadly agree to having to buy 2 seats. Discrimination is a disgrace at all levels – there is though a reality of being larger than the average bear. Note – when I flew, I chose out of respect of fellow passengers and personal responsibility to buy an extra seat.

Lauren
    Keymaster

@londonmag 28070 wrote:

Problem is, my gorgeous brown hair doesn’t take more than its own seat, my 31 stone did. I have now dropped to just over 20 since the op in October but was nervous of getting on a plane as I would need an extender belt, couldn’t get a table down and belly was on-top of person sitting next to me – they never said anything – however if they had, it would not have been about my accent or hair colour. I couldn’t fit in a seat and needed 2 of them. My size not weight really the issue, so, sadly agree to having to buy 2 seats. Discrimination is a disgrace at all levels – there is though a reality of being larger than the average bear. Note – when I flew, I chose out of respect of fellow passengers and personal responsibility to buy an extra seat.

You have made a hugely significant point and a fair one. I remember getting on a tiny plane to go to Dublin 5 years ago and feeling so upset at two things: 1. the steward moved me because I was a ‘health and safety’ hazard so near to the emergency exit and 2. the look of horror on the face of the person they put me next to. I spent the whole 50 min flight trying to keep my stomach away from him. It was literally mortifying as I was dying of shame.

Last year, I went on holiday with my family to The Maldives (30th wedding anniversary treat) and the whole 10 hour flight was ok (apart from being FREEZING) as was the sea plane transfer. If I had still been 26+ stone, I would not have fitted on that sea plane and quite possibly would have had to charter a boat instead.

So, although it is yet another discrimination to overweight/obese people, I can see the reasoning behind it. I have to say though that, in MY opinion, sitting next to a large person is preferable to either a screaming child or someone with fag breath or flatulence!

Doodah x

Doodah x

Paul-H
    Participant

Are they going to introduce cheaper prices for all those under average weight as well. I suspect we know the answer to that one don’t we.

Paul

Lauren
    Keymaster

Yes we do! The answer is yes. And that is the element I don’t agree with 100% Paul.

Doodah x

londonmag

It’s too easy to be biased on this on as much as it hurts me too ๐Ÿ™ if underweight you fit in a seat and it is no issue – even though much smaller now, I still prefer sitting next to my 10 year old son as you get more space ! ๐Ÿ™‚
    it is one of the few areas it is not ridiculously discriminatory to penalise large people – sadly. That said I am still 20st and still get looked at, just less so!
    If you don’t fit and , importantly, impact others it is extra on a plane; would you get on a thundering roller coaster in a harness that didn’t fit and feel safe?
    And before anyone raises the issue – NO, I haven’t gone all skinny in my points of view ๐Ÿ™‚

Lauren
    Keymaster

@londonmag 28080 wrote:

It’s too easy to be biased on this on as much as it hurts me too ๐Ÿ™ if underweight you fit in a seat and it is no issue – even though much smaller now, I still prefer sitting next to my 10 year old son as you get more space ! ๐Ÿ™‚
    it is one of the few areas it is not ridiculously discriminatory to penalise large people – sadly. That said I am still 20st and still get looked at, just less so!
    If you don’t fit and , importantly, impact others it is extra on a plane; would you get on a thundering roller coaster in a harness that didn’t fit and feel safe?
    And before anyone raises the issue – NO, I haven’t gone all skinny in my points of view ๐Ÿ™‚

I’m in agreement with you on this. It was a safety issue that made the air steward move me to another seat – I may have blocked the exit had I fallen in an emergency as there was no way I could have got up again. It’s a fact of life that we have to accept unfortunately. As for people not wanting to sit next to me when I was big – that IS discrimination. I expect they thought I would be invading their ‘personal bubble’ and indeed, I probably would have to some degree. However, because I know how that feels. I often chose to sit beside a large person (circumstances allowing) to prove to them and everyone else that discrimination because of size is wrong. Maybe I’m wrong to do that but I remember how it felt to be shunned and judged because of my size.

I would not expect to be allowed on a ride if I did not meet the height restriction (only just make it by the skin of my teeth haha) so a weight restriction on a plane for safety reasons is the same.

Doodah x

ps I think this one could go on and on as it is such a contentious subject…..

falcon

I think it is fair to ask a larger person to pay for an extra seat it they encroach into the space above the seat next to it. After all that person has paid for their seat too and should be able to use all the space they paid for. With so many people being larger now I think it would make sense to have some larger seats on each flight to better accommodate them and make the journey more comfortable for everyone, I also think that seat belts need to be longer. I am a size 16 and some of them are still on the loosest position, when I was a size 32 I always had to ask for an extender. . I don’t think it is discrimination to not want to sit next to a large person, after all, aeroplanes are cramped spaces anyway and even worse if you can’t use all of your allotted spec (that goes for you too, elbow over the arm rest people. Lol).

If I wanted more food in a restaurant I’d have to pay for it, or more petrol in my car so why shouldn’t I pay for more space on an airline. Having said that I don’t understand why they don’t just charge per kg for luggage too!

Lauren
    Keymaster

You have raised some really good points here falcon.

I suppose if you are a heavier person you actually would use more fuel in your car – I had never thought of that. I just thought my newer (slightly smaller) car was more fuel efficient! Derr – must have lost weight off my brain too haha!

Doodah x

treeza

I have been a a fair few flights as a large person &i have to say I’d probably pay for extra seat rather than squeeze into one & squash the other person. I have also had good & bad experiences with asking for extensions for seat b

treeza

Oops!! Extensions for seat belt!! One hostess walked down the aisle swinging it then made it very obvious it was for me!! Not that people wouldn’t already know! She was a middle aged woman but on return journey & a very lovely &young Steward very tactfully handed it to me so no one had a clue!!

I’m looking forward to my weight lose so I can fly all over the world!!!

Lauren
    Keymaster

@treeza 28462 wrote:

Oops!! Extensions for seat belt!! One hostess walked down the aisle swinging it then made it very obvious it was for me!! Not that people wouldn’t already know! She was a middle aged woman but on return journey & a very lovely &young Steward very tactfully handed it to me so no one had a clue!!

I’m looking forward to my weight lose so I can fly all over the world!!!

I’m 54 this year and I made my first ever long haul flight last year! I have to say, along with painting my toenails, fitting into theatre seats and being able to buy clothes absolutely anywhere, not needing that ruddy bright orange extender belt is totally fantastic!! And being able to put the lap tray down too.

You have all these wonderful things to look forward to ๐Ÿ˜‰

Doodah x

treeza

Yay! My friend gives me a pedicure every 6 weeks so don’t need to do my own but my darling hubby bless him really wants to take me to a westend show & cinema & I just won’t go so something to look forward too! My son has also got me tickets to see Bruno Mars in Nov so really hope will be on my way to a slimmer me by then? Crossing everything x thank you x

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media