Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

HIBERNATION SYNDROME (AFTER WLS)

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Ms Ellie

Welcome home and back Jacquie. So glad everything went well. Hopefully you will be able to hibernate in a warm and sunny spot for the next few days! Lotos of luck!

Cheryl2013

I realise this is an old post but I am really glad I read it this evening because it describes just how I am feeling at 5 and half weeks post op. thanks to Ms Ellie for this post 🙂

nuttygirl

I’d not read this before so I’m glad you commented on it Cheryl! Very interesting and describes just how I felt a few weeks after surgery too. I put my tiredness and lack of energy down to the liquidized diet as I hated that stage… by the time I reached the soft food stage it was such a relief that it lifted my spirits no end. It makes perfect sense that it is our bodies way of coping by going into hibernation mode. 🙂
    Now almost 13 weeks post op I feel great. I’m really noticing the weight loss, I’m wearing smaller clothes and I have tons more energy and confidence. I can honestly say wls is the best thing I’ve ever done!

treeza

Oh my gosh just what I needed to read. I am now 6 weeks post surgery & I have felt exactly like this & said those exact words. Thankfully the past 3 or 4 days I’ve had a bit of a turn around. I hope & pray it lasts!!! I feel so relieved after reading this! Thank you x

Doodah
    Keymaster

Ms Ellie is a much loved and missed member of this forum. She is now so busy with her fabulous new life that she hardly ever gets the chance to come on here – which is exactly what we all aim for.

We love Ms Ellie. She is still losing weight and looks absolutely beautiful. I am so proud to be able to call her a friend, both on here and in ‘real’ life!

Doodah x

SlimmerShar

I’m so glad I read this, I am sitting here 3 days post op not knowing why I am crying and this is the first post I read. Can’t wait to feel happier and more positive xx

Doodah
    Keymaster

I know this sounds daft but I equated mine with the baby blues! My bypass was like having a newborn. My little pouch had to be weaned onto food again and it kept me on my toes 24/7 both mentally and physically in the early days! After only 1 week, I was so happy that I wondered if there was something wrong with me lol!

Hang on in there, keep crying when you need to regardless of where or when – it will pass. Then you will start to feel happier than you ever thought possible. Your positivity will soar and you will grab life with both hands and wring every last drop of fun out of it – I promise you! We are all here to help you on the inevitable ‘down’ days that happen after any major surgery so please keep in touch and let us know how you are doing.

Doodah x

SlimmerShar

Thanks doodah, I slept and cried my way through that day and woke up the next day feeling like a new person! I feel pretty normal now and even forget I’ve had a bypass sometimes, feeling really good at the moment!! Xx

Doodah
    Keymaster

@SlimmerShar 29969 wrote:

Thanks doodah, I slept and cried my way through that day and woke up the next day feeling like a new person! I feel pretty normal now and even forget I’ve had a bypass sometimes, feeling really good at the moment!! Xx

That’s my girl! You were kind to yourself and now your body is rewarding you. It’s one of my two chants – be kind to yourself, and, just for once, put yourself first. I always say them and I always meant every word.

So glad you are feeling better and thanks for letting me know 🙂

Doodah x

scpayne76

That is me at the moment. I’m having real regrets. Thinking that I would’ve been happier fat. I know it’s just a stage but I feel crap. I’ve been sick thanks to the tiniest amount of Tuna and have no appetite. Want to feel better so much. On top of the sickness is guilt about being a
    Misery around my daughters.

Doodah
    Keymaster

@scpayne76 32747 wrote:

That is me at the moment. I’m having real regrets. Thinking that I would’ve been happier fat. I know it’s just a stage but I feel crap. I’ve been sick thanks to the tiniest amount of Tuna and have no appetite. Want to feel better so much. On top of the sickness is guilt about being a

You have made the best decision you could possibly have made for your daughters. You may feel full of regret at the moment but it will pass. Take things even more slowly than you thought necessary food-wise. You have the rest of your (happier and healthier) life to get it right. Fish is always dodgy in the early stages and some people struggle with it for a long time.

Do NOT feel guilty about doing something for yourself! As parents, we find that the hardest thing to do. This is your time, your life, your future. if it is going to be a better one then your daughters will have the best gift you could possibly give them – you for longer.

Allow yourself time to feel better. You really will. Once the pounds start dropping off and you see the rewards for all your hard work, you will simply blossom.

Keep us all up to date and drop in any time you need help, support or just a bloomin good old fashioned rant! Everything you are experienced is totally normal.

Doodah x

treeza

@”scpayne76 32747″ wrote:

It will get better hun you just need to get through this first few weeks. I know that in the first 3 months I had a few moments when I thought what on earth have I done but with help & support I managed to get through it & I now have no regrets. You are still healing & your body is adjusting to the operation & eating so little. Please just hang on in there. Eat little & often also remember to sip fluids in between eating to keep fluids up. You can & will cope. Listen to your body & rest when you need to x

scpayne76

Thank you all. I’m avoiding tuna. Just had shepherds pie ( puréed) and coped well with that. Is it normal to have sharp wind pain while eating? I think that’s what’s getting me down. I definitely feel better than yesterday. The dressings are off- that gave me a shock! I look like I should be on a mortuary slab! 🙂

Kimberly
    Participant

I’m nearly a year out and I still struggle with tuna . Funny I can eat a fish finger with baked beans .sheppard pie is good for you at this time , mac and cheese . And funny enough l found liver and a bit of mash went down ok !!!!

Various things I have eaten during the puree stage that might help. Cauliflower cheese purees well, I also bought the red lentil and bacon soup from M&S which lasted lots of meals for me, but it was full of protein and had a good taste. Porridge and mashed banana; yogurt and pureed apple. I have realised I have been in the hibernation zone for the last 4-5 weeks and have had very little energy. I have had very supportive family around me and friends, but it has felt such a strain and I have struggled to share their enthusiasm. Having lost 2 stone already since the milk diet I feel great as far as weight loss, and so it is definitely working, but I have felt so low as I have not had much energy. I would go for a dog walk and then need to sleep! However, reading the initial post has made me realise this is normal and today I feel there might be an end to all the depression and that is is the result of the op.

Be kind to yourself, your body is healing inside and although the scars on the outside are small your internal scars are bigger and it needs to heal. Find a box set and allow yourself rest … as a mum we do not allow ourselves to rest much but sometime you have too. It will get better – and that is someone who is just a little further along.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media