Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Hi I’m new

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Whitey

Hi everyone I’m new to the forum. I’ve just booked my bypass for the 5th June. Feeling excited and very nervous at the same time. I wondered if anyone has advice on telling other people about the surgery. I have just told my close family at the moment and intend to tell one or two close friends nearer the time. But wondered if anyone else has any advice

Doodah
    Keymaster

Hi Whitey and welcome to the forum.

I guess it’s up to you whether or not you want to go public with it. Many don’t and that is perfectly normal as it’s a private, medical matter. Then you get people like me who would shout it from the rooftops (if I were not terrified of heights!!) I found it easy to tell people about my decision as I literally had no other option but surgery as I only had about 3-5 years to live if I didn’t. I just looked people straight in the eye and told them. If you honestly believe that what you are doing is 100% right for you then they will see it in your eyes. Don’t feel or look apologetic. It’s not the ‘easy way out’ that people imagine. It takes hard work and total committment. Good luck and June 5 will come round 10 times faster than you could imagine!!

Doodah x

yasanne

Hi Whitey, im new too, welcome to you. Im having my op 28th April. I havn’t told anyone other than 3 people i work on reception with, not even my boss, ive said im having my hernia repaired, and my family and about 5 very close friends. I havn’t seen any other friends recently to tell. With facebook and twitter everyone seems to use that instead of phoning now, and everyone knows everything about everyone, i find i want to keep it more to myself right now, i guess i just want to deal with it my own way at the moment, I may tell everyone once ive had my op.

Vonone

Hi, welcome to the friendly site. I keep umming and arching about what to say, told my boss yesterday and she was so supportive – although did appear a little surprised. I have told some people as having 3-4 weeks off work, I hope they notice the difference by the time I go back!! There are only a few I haven’t told, the ones that I think will try to tell me I don’t need it, or some other reason why. This hasn’t been a decision that any of us take lightly. Whatever your decision, you will get support x

Ganny
    Participant

Hi,
    I have told everyone that is interested, my family and close friends but as I am a “helper” at WeightWatchers I told my leader and the other helpers and once I had my bypass I told the other members who were very supportive and have actually been my support group and have been there all the way with me. Now I am a year on from my bypass and my honeymoon phase is over and I am having to fight for every pound that I loose I am now following the WW’s plan, keeps me on track, so it is entirely up to yourself who you tell.
    Elaine xx

LINDY LOO

@Whitey 22881 wrote:

Hi everyone I’m new to the forum. I’ve just booked my bypass for the 5th June. Feeling excited and very nervous at the same time. I wondered if anyone has advice on telling other people about the surgery. I have just told my close family at the moment and intend to tell one or two close friends nearer the time. But wondered if anyone else has any advice

Welcome to the forum. I am four weeks post GBP. It is a dilema telling people or not. After me and my husband had discussed having the op I did tell others but only after deciding I was strong enough not to let anyone put me off. It was surprising who was supportive and who wasn’t. take care
    lindy loo

Whitey

Hi Thanks for all your replies. I feel I will tell people who are important to me and the rest don’t matter. I intend to tell my boss because of the time off and I will ask her to keep it to herself for the time being. I will probaly tell everyone later on. I’m about to go away on my last ‘FAT’ holiday. It’s quite exciting to know that this will be the last time I have to squeeze into an airline seat. I now know that the next time I fly I will not have to lengthen the seat belt to the end and pray it will fasten or face the embarrassment of asking for an extension belt.

78rpm

Hi

Welcome to the groups, I made the decision to tell people as I thought the changes to come would look weird otherwise I am glad I did but I understand that everyone is different. You do get different reactions from people and it does allow you to see who is supportive and who isnt. As I have said in other discussions joining a support group is a must as you can meet people pre and post op and get help from their experience and also just meet decent people!

rgds

Jay

Doodah
    Keymaster

I told everyone about my surgery as, at the time I was so poorly with all the associated problems that super morbid obesity brings, I didn’t want anyone who loved me to think I was dying!! I was actually dying a very slow death and surgery saved my life but people who don’t understand about wls would have panciked so I told everyone.

Most people were so happy that I wouldn’t die an early awful death from obesity that they supported be wholeheartedly. I say ‘most’ because some didn’t. And you are right – they don’t matter 😉

Doodah x

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media