Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

help

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    debbie83

i have been on here three times tonight then logged off.i feel i need to admit to being bad.had my band done 15th june and i have really let myself down.i lost 11 pounds on the milk diet then about 5 more.the weight is going back on and it didnt help going on holiday last week.i have no restriction at all.i have 1 ml in band,but my offical first fill will be on friday.most the weight is back.i think i got myself so ready after the op to not eat as much but when the hunger came i started to struggle.
    i am so looking forward to friday i really need some more help as i want this to work for me and my children.i just want to be happier and healthier.debbie x

hides

Hi debbie

You are being too hard on yourself, i am 8 months down the line and 4 1/2 stone lighter….. I know deep down i could of lost at least another stone, but i am who i am….. My sweet tooth has never left me, and sometimes i fight it and other times i dont. I am happier then i was this time last year and i look and feel better .

I promise once your fills start you will feel different, less hungry and slowly things will start going in the right direction again. I hope things go well on friday, please keep in touch, and stay positive……. This will work for you . 🙂

Heidi .

Lauren
    Keymaster

@hides 24824 wrote:

Hi debbie

You are being too hard on yourself, i am 8 months down the line and 4 1/2 stone lighter….. I know deep down i could of lost at least another stone, but i am who i am….. My sweet tooth has never left me, and sometimes i fight it and other times i dont. I am happier then i was this time last year and i look and feel better .

I promise once your fills start you will feel different, less hungry and slowly things will start going in the right direction again. I hope things go well on friday, please keep in touch, and stay positive……. This will work for you . 🙂

Heidi .

Fantastic advice Heidi.

Lauren
    Keymaster

Hi Debbie

Like Heidi said, don’t be so hard on yourself, it’s still very early days for you. Band patients take longer to lose their weight but once you have hit the ‘sweet spot’ with your fills, it can come off every bit as regularly as with a bypass. Anyway, it’s not a race is it? It’s about a life change. If you are willing to let the tool (your band) help you, you can achieve absolutely amazing results. Trust the surgery, keep at it, stay strong and positive and, most importantly of all, ask for help when you need it.

We have all been where you are at some point so we know what you are going through. Just reach out – you will be astounded at how many hands will be reaching back for you…. Don’t feel guilty or punish yourself – therein lies both upset and guilt: two little demons we need to kick straight back to the kerb.

Doodah x

debbie83

thank you both for your replies x

Lauren
    Keymaster

You’re more than welcome Debbie.

How are you feeling today?

Doodah x

debbie83

hi not to bad,losing a little of what i put on on holiday.just looking forward to friday.do you know if its your choice or theres on how much goes in the band.debbie x

Lauren
    Keymaster

I believe it’s more or less a mutual decision but of course, they know what is best for you. So, if it were me, I would go with what they suggest.

Doodah x

Debbie, I know how you feel. I think my weight loss is going OK (but I have old rubbish scales so it might not be!) but I am worried lots of the time that I am doing this stuff wrong, my recent fear is that I will have already damaged something like stretching the pouch, that means that it’ll never work . However, I am going to listen to the ‘experienced losers’ advice and just stick with it. I get my first fill tomorrow (I don’t think there is anything in there yet, but I might be wrong) and am nervous and excited. What if I’m one of the ones this procedure doesn’t work for? The promise of finally conquering this weight thing is too good, I can’t bear the idea of failing but also I just can’t help but think I’ll mess it up. I had no idea of the emotional roller coaster I was letting myself in for, did you Debbie??

Lauren
    Keymaster

Hi Patsy.

Your post has highlighted the one thing that most people don’t realise about any form of weight loss surgery – it’s not the ‘cheats’ or ‘easy way’ out of obesity. It is merely a tool with which you have to work to get the best results.

For bandsters, it takes longer because you have to find that ‘sweet spot’ where you have exactly the right amount of restriction to be able to eat a variety of healthy foods, slowly, but not too much that it’s hard to get/keep anything down. We bypassers have dumping in addition to restriction to help us to make healthy choices – bandsters have restriction only.

My friend Susan James, has lost 11st with her band and has kept it off for 4 years. Her secret: getting the restriction just right and sticking to the guidelines. Oh, and being very, very patient. I know it’s not easy (I really do) but if you can just devote one year of your life (even less for those of you with less to lose) I promise you, you will learn how to use your tool to YOUR advantage. I takes patience, commitment and a huge dollop of trust in the surgery to do it’s job.

Buy new, accurate scales so you can see every ounce coming off!!

Doodah x

debbie83

hi peppermintpatsy
    i know how you feel about the failing part i just wish i was at my sweet spot already,but it takes a while.how much did they put in your band.i have 2 mls in mine and still feel really hungary and no restriction so going back in two weeks.hope your doing ok.debbie x

Lauren
    Keymaster

If you are not consistently gaining weight, you are not failing in my book. Even plateaus are still winning in my opinion as all we ever did pre surgery was gain/lose/gain/lose/gain/lose….So, even if for a while we are simply maintaining our weight, we are still ahead of the game. I plateaued for about 2 months then all of a sudden, BAM, another stone dropped off. I was delighted of course but I was equally delighted with the previous 14st I had lost!!

Try to remember that we are aiming for a healthy weight: not an ideal one. and it is not a race.

Doodah x

Thanks for the encouragement Doodah – remembering it is not a race seems to be one of the keys but it is tough!

Debbie, I am not sure I completely understand all the terminology yet but I now have 3.5ml in my band since Friday. There seems certain food I can no longer eat without pain and it coming back up (bread and noodles are the ones I’ve found so far!) So I am having to take eating much slower and eating less so I guess that is restriction and movement in the right direction. I have no idea how I will tell what my sweet spot is, but just trying to plod on….

I think we need patience. However, looking back at some of the older posts there are people on here who also had these questions who are now big losers. We will get there I’m sure!

Lauren
    Keymaster

@peppermintpatsy 24940 wrote:

Thanks for the encouragement Doodah – remembering it is not a race seems to be one of the keys but it is tough!

Debbie, I am not sure I completely understand all the terminology yet but I now have 3.5ml in my band since Friday. There seems certain food I can no longer eat without pain and it coming back up (bread and noodles are the ones I’ve found so far!) So I am having to take eating much slower and eating less so I guess that is restriction and movement in the right direction. I have no idea how I will tell what my sweet spot is, but just trying to plod on….

I think we need patience. However, looking back at some of the older posts there are people on here who also had these questions who are now big losers. We will get there I’m sure!

You have hit the nail right on the head Patsy: being able to go back and re-read previous posts shows us that whatever your concern or problem is, someone on here has already dealt with it and may have the answer you are looking for. It’s also hugely encouraging when you also see that they have gone on to reach their goals. The band journey is far slower than the bypass one but the goal is identical: lose our excess weight, get healthy, live longer and enjoy life to the full. It WILL come. Just trust the operation, stick to the guidelines and believe in yourself. We are all here to support and encourage you.

Doodah x

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media