Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Help required… a friend of a friend is coughing up black stuff

Home » Topics » Surgical Journey » The Gastric Band operation » The Gastric Band- 6 months & beyond » Help required… a friend of a friend is coughing up black stuff

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    RHD

Hi, I have a friend who has a friend… who had the band done 4 years ago.. recently she is coughing up black stuff. Her friend asked me to check to see what the forum would say… she thinks it may be that the band has slipped, has anyone experienced this?

I told her that she should go to the doctors in the first instance as anything that does not seem right should be checked out! But her friend wanted me to check on the forum to see if it may be related to the band… so being a good friend I am posting this message.

Anyone seen anything/experienced anything like this?

Thanks
    RHD
    x

Doodah
    Keymaster

@RHD 24876 wrote:

Hi, I have a friend who has a friend… who had the band done 4 years ago.. recently she is coughing up black stuff. Her friend asked me to check to see what the forum would say… she thinks it may be that the band has slipped, has anyone experienced this?

I told her that she should go to the doctors in the first instance as anything that does not seem right should be checked out! But her friend wanted me to check on the forum to see if it may be related to the band… so being a good friend I am posting this message.

Anyone seen anything/experienced anything like this?

Thanks
    RHD
    x

Hi RHD

You are indeed, a very good friend.

Please advise him or her to go straight to her GP as the condition sounds potentially harmful and should be addressed immediately.

Whilst we all care for and support each other on here, none of us are in a position to offer clinical advice at any time. Therefore, it is essential that your friend seek advice from a health professional as soon as possible.

Hope your friend gets help soon. Please let us know how they get on.

Doodah x

RHD

Thanks. I find it strange she has not gone to her GP? any how I think the message here is, if in doubt just get it checked out. I will let you know how she gets on… but I dont know her, she is a friend of a friend of mine! Thanks again doodah X

Doodah
    Keymaster

It is quite strange that she hasn’t gone to get it checked out already in my humble opinion. I would have, wouldn’t you?

Hope she’s ok. I have worried about her since I read this yesterday! I’m such a silly old fool.

Doodah x

katy

Hello
    I’m a bypasser so can’t really comment on specific band issues but I am also an experienced A&E nurse and what you are describing sounds like ‘coffee ground vomit’ this is a sign that ‘old blood’ is sitting in the stomach and is potentially a serious problem…usually related to ulceration in the .GI tract. It’s VERY important that this Is checked out as it is potentially very dangerous.
    Hope this helps in persuading your friend to see a medical professional asap
    Katy

Doodah
    Keymaster

Thanks for this Katy. I thought it was something like that but I’m not qualified to say. I was very, very sick (hyperemisis gravidarum) with both my children and ended up in hospital for 5 months on drips. I too used to vomit up black stuff so I have experience of it 🙁

Thank you for stepping in and reiterating that it needs to be investigated asap.

Doodah x

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media