Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Help – part 9

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Masie

Hi All Can anybody help please. I am on day 5 of the milk diet and an suffering badly with constipation. I am taking Benefiber (thats the new name for optifiber) and not finding it any good.Any help would be great. Thanks.

nuttygirl

I used Dulcolax tablets. They take about 12 hours to work but the relief was worth waiting for! I’d never realised constipation could be so painful until I was in the same position as you on the milk diet. You have my sympathy!

Masie

Thanks Nuttygirl ill give them a go. x

Paul-H
    Participant

Hi

I was the same as you on the milk diet, and can tell you this, Constipation is the result of not drinking enough water, 2 litres a day is the minimum and more if you can.

Ok now we have got that out of the way, the only thing that worked for me was Dulcolax and Grysarol suppositories, yes both at the same time. That combination will work in under 30 minutes.

One thing to remember though are you sure you are constipated, you are not consuming any solids on the milk diet so it might be a case of nothing in nothing out. If you are not feeling constipated you might not be and its the result of there actually being nothing to come out yet. Well we can all hope cant we.

If it is constipation do something about it quickly if it stays in there drying up and getting hard for too long you might need medical intervention to help out.

Good luck.

Paul

Masie

Thanks Paul I have taken Dulcolax and I think there is some movement. But as you say as there is nothing going in then nothing will come out. I will give it u till tomorrow and then if no joy I’ll try the other route lol. Thanks again.

Lauren
    Keymaster

Hi Masie – welcome to the world of wls. unfortunately, constipation seems to rear it’s ugly head (scuse the pun) quite often and paul is right – 99% of the time it is due to not drinking enough water. Our systems become sluggish and the stools end up being like ruddy bullets and sometimes have to be ‘manually evacuated’ (I have my own horrible experience of this!!)

Dulcolax usually works with me too – very effectively to the point that i only take them if I know I am going to be at home for the next day if you get what I mean 😉

How are you now?

Doodah x

Masie

Fine thanks Doodah All went well last night. To be honest I was lucky to get up the stairs. But all is well now. Do you think I should maybe take one Dulcolax a night till I go for the op. I couldn’t go through that again. Thanks. X

Paul-H
    Participant

Hi

Glad it all worked in the end, I wouldn’t take one every nite you will end up will malnutrition if you had a good clear out every day. Try upping your water levels first and then take one every 3 or 4 days if you must.

Paul

treeza

Is dulcolax ok post bypass? Coffee is usually my laxative but not working anymore! Starting to get uncomfortable! x

Lauren
    Keymaster

Dulcolax is fine as it has a coating that is resistant to acid so it doesn’t rip into your pouch! I agree with Paul that every day is too harsh as it is SO effective! however, I am prescribed senna by my GP which I take every other day or as needed. Paul is right in saying that the most effective way to get things moving is more water. I also drink (this is going to show my age!) cabbage or spinach water whilst it is still hot – sometimes with a teaspoon of marmite in it. It is delicious and really works for me. I also have no trouble with spots or sagging facial skin so I reckon it must be pretty good stuff! My dear old Mum swears by it and she hardly has any wrinkles at 76! It is also full of iron and the marmite has B6 and B12 in it. I’m not saying it will work for everyone but it does work for ME. And as it is so pleasant, it might be worth a try?

Glad you are comfortable again Masie. Treeza, coffee is actually a diuretic and will make you need more water. It is not a very good friend to those of us who have had wls which is a real flippin shame 🙁 I’m ok though as I drink tea. Maybe switching to decaf might work for you after your first ‘full fat’ coffee of the day to get you going? I only ever drink decaf coffee as there really is no difference in the taste.

Doodah x

treeza

Oh no I’m a total tea drinker I only have a coffee when bunged up & it usual acts like a laxative but not any more! I will try dulcolax I’ve got some from before surgery I just thought I remembered being told or reading somewhere that it was to harsh! Certainly works well for me! Thank you xxx

Paul-H
    Participant

Hi

In my case I have a very slow digestive transit and always have,once every three days was normal for me before surgery and that’s with the massive amount of food I used to Hoover up. Post surgery I was lucky if I went once a week and by then it needed help big time as it was dry and rock hard (TMI) from being in for too long and having just about everything taken out by my digestive track, and that with with me drinking loads of water.

I am now on a daily dose of Movicol and go every other day without issue, if its a problem post surgery See your doctor and ask for some help and don’t wait until it’s impacted and you need to get the spoons out or make like the constipated mathematician and work it out with Pencil and Paper 😉

Keep an eye on things and don’t wait too long before you ask for help.

And don’t take Moviprep instead of Movicol even though Moviprep will have you as clean as a whistle within minutes of taking it. 🙂

Paul

Lauren
    Keymaster

Paul, you are so funny! I’m sick with a chest infection at the moment so you just nearly made me cough up a lung haha!

Love your posts.

Doodah x

treeza

Well dulcolax in so x everything no spoons needed for me later! (Although as a nurse I don’t recommend digging for gold with spoons :0))). I shudder at the thought but fully understand the desperation! :0)x

Paul-H
    Participant

I only aim to please.

Mind you the wife says if only I could aim 😉 don’t know what she is on about though.

Paul

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media