Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Help – part 7

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    DonnaB

Hi guys, I had band on 29th march, I had 1ml put in on my first fill 4 weeks ago and was not restricted anywhere near enough, this Saturday I had 3ml put in under xray but couldn’t keep anything down, not even squash, I went for a de-fill yesterday and half a ml was taken out, had nothing solid but liquid was fine, ive just tried some tomato soup and I have once again regurged it, bearing in mind now I have not eaten since Friday eve!!! I have text the nurse although I feel like I’m being a complete idiot and that maybe I’m doing something wrong! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Donnabee xx

Paul-H
    Participant

Hi

Someone will post soon who will better understand your problem but for now, I assume water will go down ok, if it does just make sure you keep drinking pretty of water, we can go without food for quite a long time but not water, keep that up untill you get you band sorted.

Paul

Nettie

Hi Donna,
    This has only happened to me once, you must tx or speak to your team, you are not being a pain, it is their job to make sure you are safe and comfortable. The problem gets worse when you are dehydrated so keep up clear fluids, I drink Ribena when my restriction feels tight as at least it has sugar to give you some energy but whatever you drink you must keep your fluids up and clear fluids have always been easier for me, peppermint tea will also be soothing. Sip the fluid do not gulp, I found taking small spoonfulls helpfull, have a spoonfull and then wait a few minutes and then another. Some people recommend ice cubes or ice lollies also. You must have some fluid removed as soon as possible. Keep us updated and try not to get too stressed as this will just makes matters worse. Take care of yourself.

Nettie xx

DonnaB

Thanks guys, that makes me feel better, I have managed to keep down some liquidized scotch broth soup so that’s a great improvement. Am also drinking ok so that’s good, I’m really reluctant to take out more fluid just yet as only had a de-fill yesterday, gonna give it 24 hours and see how I go. The bariatric nurse said I should stop worrying and go have the band emptied but I am honestly not panicking but I am concerned that if I’m struggling with soup how on earth will I eat solid food again???

Donna xxxx

@DonnaB 23482 wrote:

Thanks guys, that makes me feel better, I have managed to keep down some liquidized scotch broth soup so that’s a great improvement. Am also drinking ok so that’s good, I’m really reluctant to take out more fluid just yet as only had a de-fill yesterday, gonna give it 24 hours and see how I go. The bariatric nurse said I should stop worrying and go have the band emptied but I am honestly not panicking but I am concerned that if I’m struggling with soup how on earth will I eat solid food again???

Donna xxxx

Hi Donna, I know how you feel I had my first fill Friday. That was 6weeks post op. I only had 2mls put in as 2.5 was too much. i panicked over the weekend as I could not eat anything at all either and water wasnt too great either.
    I am manging now some soup and porridge but not much else but feel each day is getting better.

I am breaking multivitsmins in half to swallow with smal amounts of water as I am worried I am not getting enough nutrients.

Do keep in contact wit your team as you should not struggle.

I also wonder if I will ever sit down to a dinner with the hubby and kids again………Its like we have had a bypass isnt is?

keep in touch

Xxxx

Nettie

Relax relax relax, you will both be able to sit at a table and enjoy food with your families at a restaurant I promise you, I went to a lovely seafood restaurant at the weekend and had a lovely relaxed meal, in fact I find it easier to eat out than I do at home because there is nothing to do, at home I eat too quickly because there is too much going on. When you are out you will need to choose your food very carefully, I always have soup as a starter without bread and I eat about half a portion and then I choose another starter as my main course, I haven’t found a restaurant that has been opposed to that and as long as you eat very slowly and there is a gap between starter and the next starter then I cope just fine. I promise you will make friends with your band although sometimes I have days when I break friends with it overall it is my best friend in the world, just remember no 2 days are the same, what you can eat one day may not go down the next day and no one seems to be able to explain why.
    Nettie xx

DonnaB

Its always nice to know you are not alone, my only question now is how long do I continue to eat just soup before it improves or I know that I definitely need a de-fill????

DonnaB

And just to say I was sitting eating normal meals with the kids just smaller ones but now I am not so p,ease be assured that you will again I promise.

Donna xxxxx

Doodah
    Keymaster

Please remember to keep hydrated. Dehydtation is one of our biggest enemies. It not only makes us feel nauseous but makes it difficult to digest food properly. The old mantra: ‘sip, sip, sip; chew, chew, chew’ is one never to be forgotten 😉

Brillaint advice from Nettie again.

Doodah x

@DonnaB 23490 wrote:

Its always nice to know you are not alone, my only question now is how long do I continue to eat just soup before it improves or I know that I definitely need a de-fill????

Hi Donna,its hard isn’t it to know, I stopped panicking after getting Nettie and hides feedback at the weekend and now that I am 4-5days post fill I am starting to eat a bit better, still not manging much of it but did manage some mash last night which pleased me. some of the bansters have saidit can take 1-2weeks to settle down and we are all different.
    I, like Doodah and nettie says have been making sure I drink plenty ( not that I have ever been good t that really) but always carry a bottle round it me if I am at work or out and about.

still, if you are concerned I would just call and have a chat with your team, if anything to outyour mind at rest. keep in touch……

sam x

hazelann70

It is a few years since I had my band but do remember that after a fill it would be quite tight for a few days and then relaxes a bit. Don’t know if that helps! Mind you, I was one of them who could eat everything and anything with the band (no difference with the bypass for me).

Nettie

My fills always take 2 weeks to settle and I just get used to eating solids again and then I’m due another fill! I was last filled 6 weeks ago and I’m still not back to many solids even now!!!! Everytime I’ve had a fill I seem to lose something from the list of foods I can eat, 2 fills ago I was able to eat pasta once I had setled but now I wouldn’t even attempt it there is just no way. I don’t want to sound negative but you guys are not going to be able to eat the same foods as you used to not once you are further down the line, you have to accept that your food intake will change in both quantity and types of food, you will only eat meals that are the size of a ramekin dish and those meals will have to consist of foods that your band will accept. I can’t remember the last time I ate proper meat or bread in any form, pasta and rice are now a no no, am I bothered??? No I love my band and the new me it has helped me achieve. Keep the faith girls your journeys have just begun.

Nettie xx

Thanks Nettie for being so open and honest, its the not knowing what to expect that is the worst, my band is settling down now after a week so am getting used to it now.

Your a geatsourceof information Nettie, thanks x

hazelann70

Everyone is different. I was able to eat anything I wanted with the band in reduced quantities but much more than a remekin! (I was a very proficient chewer though) whereas other people couldn’t. I’m the same now with the bypass and so I can only say that it is because of our different make ups perhaps. We all have to use everyone else’s experiences so we know what the different extreams are of bariatric surgery and how it affects people. One rule for one is definately not the same rule for others. If anything, I would say it’s more scarey reading my posts where I bang on about being able to eat so much cr*p. I wish I could have had that restriction with the band and I wish I could dump with the bypass. Think yourselves lucky if either apply!!!

hides

Thanks nettie, i know your post was helping Donna , but it has also helped me too. I go tomorrow for my next fill and i have only had 1/4ml put in the last 3 times, but i defo need a fill tomorrow….. I think i look at my food and my head tells me a saucer of food isn’t enough, so i stop myself having a big fill because i dont know if a ramikin of food enough to fill me up, but from what you are saying this is the stage we have to get to to lose the weight…… And it is enough !!! I have found it hard to lose the last half a stone , so i know i’m eating more then i need …… I think i must have about 1100/1200 cals per day, and i’m losing about 1lb a week, sometimes it’s alittle less. Hoping to get my 4 stone tomorrow, but i thought i’d be at 5 by now , i know i shouldn’t compare but it’s human nature….. Having a bloody sweet tooth doesn’t help, but i’m human

Moan, moan, sorry , feeling alittle glum, needed to off load…… Know i need a kick up the bum .
    Heidi

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media