Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Help! Part 4

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 103 total)
  • Author
    Lauren
    Keymaster

Peter, that is the perfect way to think of it. Not only a present to your children but to the most important person in all of this….YOU.

I say at every seminar (and on our video on the website) ‘For once in your life, put yourself first’ and I honestly mean it. I also say: ‘Be as kind to yourself as you are to others’. When we feel so awfully depressed and unhappy with ourselves, we forget that we too are people who should be treated with kindness, love and respect. It’s hard because general society and the media label us as: ‘Lazy, lacking self-control and stupid’ and in the end it becomes the truth to us. We fail on every diet and course so it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. We end up genuinely believing that we are not worth saving. But I always think this – would I be so harsh and critical if it were someone I loved in my shoes? Of course, the answer is NO. I would do anything to help them. So, why should we be any different?!

I know how much better you are going to feel about yourself after surgery and it makes me smile. Do this one generous thing for yourself and your generosity will be paid back a thousand times over by the smiles on your loved-ones’ faces as they see you become healthier and happier by the day.

Love Doodah x

londonmag

Thanks doodah x

Keith not Peter though ๐Ÿ™‚

I just got involved in this thread ๐Ÿ™‚

Whitey

I can really identify with Keith. So many of us have tried everything to try and to get rid of this weight to improve our lives and received little or no support from the medical profession. I have a real phobia of going to my GP’s surgery after being made to feel so bad about myself because I could not lose weight. My GP was so unhelpful that I even had to pay a ยฃ40 fee for a private appointment before he would sign the paperwork for Lighterlife! I did not even apply for NHS funding because of lack of GP support and I felt so scared of any contact with doctors. With Streamline you feel you are treated like a ‘proper’ person. You feel that all the staff understand how you feel and how emotional you feel about being overweight. I even look forward to my clinic visits at the Sudbury Clinic now as everyone is so lovely and it is lovely to chat with other patients. 3 months post bypass and the weight is coming off slowly but surely and I am determined to become more assertive with future dealings with my GP.
    Doodah is so right when she says we should put ourselves first. I know it’s a lot of money but think of it as an investment in a new life for you and your family. I wish you all the best Elaine x

Lauren
    Keymaster

@londonmag 25514 wrote:

Thanks doodah x

Keith not Peter though ๐Ÿ™‚

I just got involved in this thread ๐Ÿ™‚

So sorry Keith!!

Lauren
    Keymaster

@Whitey 25515 wrote:

I can really identify with Keith. So many of us have tried everything to try and to get rid of this weight to improve our lives and received little or no support from the medical profession. I have a real phobia of going to my GP’s surgery after being made to feel so bad about myself because I could not lose weight. My GP was so unhelpful that I even had to pay a ยฃ40 fee for a private appointment before he would sign the paperwork for Lighterlife! I did not even apply for NHS funding because of lack of GP support and I felt so scared of any contact with doctors. With Streamline you feel you are treated like a ‘proper’ person. You feel that all the staff understand how you feel and how emotional you feel about being overweight. I even look forward to my clinic visits at the Sudbury Clinic now as everyone is so lovely and it is lovely to chat with other patients. 3 months post bypass and the weight is coming off slowly but surely and I am determined to become more assertive with future dealings with my GP.
    Doodah is so right when she says we should put ourselves first. I know it’s a lot of money but think of it as an investment in a new life for you and your family. I wish you all the best Elaine x

I can’t tell you how happy it makes me (and all my colleagues at Streamline) feel to hear you say that you feel valued as a person both at the Sudbury clinic and with the staff. It’s Streamline’s primary objective so it’s wonderful to hear that it’s working! I myself have experienced all the same prejudices as all of you so I can identify with you 100%. I know first-hand how awful it feels to be made to feel a failure. Shaw Somers and all the team made me feel worthy and valued as a patient right from the start and I am positive that it helped me to stay strong and focused throughout the 18 months it took to lose all my excess weight. Thank you so much for being so positive about them too!

Doodah x

Deifersmum
    Participant

Hi Peter

Hang in there you will get there, we’ve all been there, I know I was on tenterhooks the whole time right up to and including my walk to the operating room, I was positive someone was going to jump out at me and say there had been a mistake and I couldn’t have the surgery, but here I am, nearly 8 stone lighter and loving every minute of it. I know it’s hard when we all say be patient but you will get there. As Doodah suggested, do your research and get yourself prepared mentally as well as physically, it all helps.

Take care Peter and keep us informed of your progress.

Lots of love
    Lesley
    xxx

Lauren
    Keymaster

Wise words Lesley. Great post ๐Ÿ™‚

Doodah x

boothy babi

Hi guys & girls. Just down loaded this app and not sure how it works and such so please forgive me as I’m finding my way around. Im karen from south yorkshire, almost two & half years post op from gastric bypass surgery. Lost 14st 7lb but gained 14lb of that. Anyone else found they’ve gained weight? Im really unhappy about this and desperate to reach 10st again but cant seem to get the scales moving. X

Lauren
    Keymaster

Hi Boothy Babi and welcome.

A little rebound weight gain is perfectly normal and absolutely nothing to worry about. If you had said you had gained 4st back then I would have suggested seeing your GP to get a referral to a dietitian but you have gained back only lbs.

It is your body settling in to the new way it has to process food. At first we lose weight hand over fist and keep on losing it. It then slows down, realises that the ‘job’ is done so takes a rest. This is when regain can occur. You can deal with it in several ways:

1. Accept that you are still 13+ stone lighter than you were and still be delighted with your hard work and achievement.
    2. Step up your exercise regime and make adjustments to your diet.
    3. Go back to basics for a few weeks.

I have gained 4lbs and have chosen to do the 1st option. In the scheme of things, it is absolutely ridiculous for me to beat myself up over a small regain. My Mother reiterated this by telling me that I am a middle-aged woman and it would have happened anyway!! Harsh, but true haha! Also, we have to consider what we think of as our goal. Our surgeons teach us to aim for a ‘Healthy’ weight rather than an ‘Ideal’ one. If your ideal weight is much lower than your healthy one, you could spend the rest of your life being miserable and being hard on yourself for absolutely nothing. Therein lies madness. We had wls to rid ourselves of all that negativity so why re-introduce it to our lives?

Anyway, this is merely my own opinion. I’m four years post op and thank my lucky stars every day that I am still here and own my life again. Hope this has helped.

Don’t worry about finding your way around – we all get a bit lost to start with haha!

Doodah x

Lauren
    Keymaster

Forum Tutorials and Help Section – Welcome to Streamline Surgical – Streamline Surgical Forum

This will help you find your way around too xxx

• This reply was modified 5 years, 6 months ago by Lauren.
    • This reply was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by clare.williams.
    boothy babi

Thanks for being so kind. Thank you for taking the time out to read & reply to my messages. I totally agree with everything you said to me. I should have started cognitive behavioural therapy yesterday but I’m just recovering from gastroenteritis. I was referred for the therapy as i have a lot of issues about myself since losing the weight. I don’t know who i am and struggle with the mirror image. Im proud of my achievement however still not happy and have a seed planted in my head that i need to get to 9st 7lb and i know this is an unrealistic weight, I’ve acknowledged i have issues and I’ve asked for help.
    You spoke true words in your message and i know its true in what you say, i need to start listening to people who understand lol. You are very lucky in your job, keep up the good work, you are so inspiring ๐Ÿ™‚ x

Lauren
    Keymaster

You are more than welcome. On this forum, if someone asks for help, we all respond because we have/will be all, at some point, in the very same position. You are not alone. Nothing you say will be judged (we don’t do that on here) and you will get only help, encouragement, support and friendship

Try to get another appointment for CBT as soon as you can but in the meantime, go and look at some ‘before’ pictures and REALLY look at them. Look at your eyes and see what story they tell you. You will be amazed how much you can learn by going back to that time and place, then coming back again to where you are now. You ARE a success. Your own story is hugely inspirational!! The very fact that you are faltering slightly will resonate with the lovely people on here and then they too might have the courage to ask for help.

Thank you so much for your honesty – that must have taken so much courage. You are one of us now and we will help you as much as you want/need :-))

Doodah x

Gwaza

Hello All

I’ve now got my initial consultation date at St Richard’s 16 November 2012 so can stop stressing. I can hardly wait as it’s been several years since I first tried for the surgery option in 2004. ๐Ÿ™‚

Lauren
    Keymaster

That’s amazing Gwaza. It will feel like waiting for Christmas a bit early!

The moment you get accepted, is the actual nano second that your life starts to change – well, it was for me. I walked out of Shaw Somers’ consulting room feeling lighter immediately. Like I had been given a stay of execution, as my weight was killing me very, very slowly. A month later, my death sentence was lifted and I have been clawing back my life ever since.

This sounds dramatic but when you are so poorly that you know you are going to die young if no-one helps you, it’s exactly how it feels. It has been said that eating disorders are the slowest form of suicide and I agree with that. I knew what I was doing was killing me but I was powerless to stop. The misery of my everyday life as a super morbidly obese person made me eat for comfort and thus the cycle was repeated, ad infin. Shaw Somers gave me the tool to break that cycle.

Wls isn’t about the ‘plumbing’ (as Mr Somers refers to his hugely skilled profession haha) it’s about being given a lifeline. I’m so excited for you. It’s hard work and there will be times when you might think ‘What have I done?’ – usually, in my case, when I’m freezing cold and can’t get warm – but what you will have done is save your own life from absolute flippin misery and possibly even an early grave. Now THAT is exciting!!

Doodah x

RaeRae

Hi Peter
    Lovely to meet you, I to was NHS funded and would just like to say was treated no differently at all, I had a bypass on September 25th at The Churchill Clementine with Mr Guy Slater( FANTASTIC MAN)
    I got the approval for funding at the end of July, initial consultation was August 25th and surgery just 1 month later, so please don’t feel like a charity case. I really look forward to watching your journey unfold.
    Rae xxxxxx

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 103 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media