Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Help! Part 4

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 103 total)
  • Author
    Gwaza

Hi Everyone. I’m waiting for an initial appointment at St Richard’s for a gastric bypass. Has anyone a rough idea how long the average waiting time is? I’ve got NHS funding for the operation and am keen to get cracking and get on with my life. Peter

neehaa

Hi,

I had my initial appointment at St Richards in April & had surgery at the end of June. I don’t think their wait is much more than 2-3 months usually.

Good luck & hope all goes well

Neehaa

Ganny
    Participant

Hi Peter,
    If I remember righthly, (been nearly 2years since I started the journey and 18 months since my bypass), saw my GP in the September who then applied for NHS funding, had my funding come through within about 2 weeks, chose St Richards for my bypass, had my appointment come through again about 2 weeks later for the 21st of December for my pre-assessment, St Richards and the lovely Mr John approved me suitable for my bypass and had the op on the 23rd of March and have not looked back since and are now 11stones lighter and have a whole new life. You won’t have long to wait before you start out on your own roller coaster ride of this weight loss journey and I wish you all the best and lets us all know how you get on. Good luck.
    Elaine xx

Deifersmum
    Participant

Hi

I was in the day before Ganny, 21st March, what a day, and if memory serves I had my Multi Discipline appointment in January and managed to get a cancellation for the March appointment, it might be worth ringing the secretary and ask if there are any cancellations going, they can only say no.

Take Pete and let us know when you get your date.

Love
    Lesley
    xxx

Gwaza

Thanks for the replies I’m quite encouraged by them

Pete
    xxx

Paul-H
    Participant

Hi

I had my first appointment (MDT) at St Richards in December last year and my bypass at the end of February this year, so about 12 weeks in total. They do vary though depending on the load, but between 12 & 16 weeks is quite common.

To give an idea how quick they work through there waiting list, I was first referred to a MR El-Hassani at kings and then found out his waiting list is 2 years, which is why I got moved to St Richards, glad I did as my surgery went as smooth as silk and not had a single WLS related issue since.

Paul

Paul

Lauren
    Keymaster

Hi Peter, glad to hear you are encouraged by the replies.

I always think it’s so much easier to wait for something very important if you are given some sort of clue as to how long it will be – even if it’s slightly longer than you’d hope for! Mine all went through very quickly too at St Richard’s. I think the admin is the main thing that needs to be done throughly and that takes time. It all has to be extremely accurate, up-to-date and comprehensive. The team there are second-to-none so you are in the very safest of hands. Do you know which surgeon you will be seeing?

Keep us all informed as we love to hear all about a new journey ;-))

Doodah x

Gwaza

Hiya Doodah. I have no idea which surgeon I’ll be seeing though I’m hoping for Shaw or Guy. The frustration is that I’ve come so far on a difficult journey only to come up against total silence. I chose St Richard’s and sent in my paperwork in July but have heard nothing since. I did manage to get confirmation that my paper work arrived OK which is something. I phoned today to say if a cancellation comes up I can be there within 3 hours. I guess being NHS funded makes me a bit of a charity case in terms of waiting time. Peter

Lauren
    Keymaster

Hi Peter.

With my hand on my heart I can honestly say that as an NHS patient you are in no way treated as a ‘second class citizen’ at St Richard’s. Going private merely speeds up the process. They are such a busy unit there that the poor staff are on the go the whole time so things are a bit slower.

I know it’s really difficult but try to be patient. I had to apply for funding three times before I got the go-ahead. Therefore, even though I was in and done within a month after consultation, the actual application process took almost 2 years. Things have become much easier since my bypass four years ago and I doubt very much that you will take anywhere near that long. NICE guidelines are much more relaxed now and the whole process has speeded up considerably.

So, be patient, stay in touch with St Richard’s and keep researching – the better prepared you are the easier it will be. It’s frustrating to have to wait for something that is so important but their hands are tied. I’m still grateful beyond the telling of it to have had my surgery on the NHS and to have had such wonderful treatment at St Richard’s.

Doodah x

Gwaza

Hi Doodah
    Thanks for the encouraging reply I will try and be more patient. My biggest concern is that if the process takes too long I believe the NHS funding can be withdrawn. I’ve tried for years to get this far having also been turned down in the past. Peter

Ganny
    Participant

Hi Peter,
    As Doodah says be patient it will be worth it in the long run and St Richards is a lovely hospital and a wonderful team down there. From the moment you step through the doors on your first appointment you will be treated well, the staff up on the unit will give you the best care going and like you I wanted to have Shaw, Guy or Chris Pring as my surgeon but I had Tim John, less well known as the others but a wonderful man all the same, though they are all equally as good. Keep in touch with them, but they will be in touch soon.
    Elaine x

Lauren
    Keymaster

Peter, I’m keeping everything crossed for you mate. It IS a terribly difficult process to hurry up and it’s made all the worse for us because it means so much. I tried not to think about it and became almost ‘Zen’ like thinking ‘que sera’. It worked. I got on with my life: eating healthily, trying to move about as much as possible and willing myself to be fit enough to survive the operation should I be lucky enough to be accepted. I’m a firm believer that we make our own luck sometimes by positive thoughts and actions. It worked.

By the time I got the final go ahead, I knew I had done everything I could to make myself fitter for the op (almost 26st and a BMI of 64 needed a lot of work!) Not only did I survive the op, but I was up and about the next day looking for my toiletries to get in the shower (I had an open bypass plus gall bladder removal) with a 10cm scar but absolutely no pain whatsoever by the second day!)

So, keep on with the positive thinking, help yourself by eating healthily and keeping mobile and trust that we are all behind you sending our very best wishes ;-))

Doodah x

londonmag

Makes me want to cry doodah that at 31st and bmi or 57 my trust – Berkshire will not help. Not only nervous as hell, but had to take out 2 credit cards for this with no huge plan to repay.

Never had a bad thought in my life in reality, but what goes through my head in regards to the people in charge locally would not make pleasant reading

๐Ÿ™

Lauren
    Keymaster

@londonmag 25503 wrote:

Makes me want to cry doodah that at 31st and bmi or 57 my trust – Berkshire will not help. Not only nervous as hell, but had to take out 2 credit cards for this with no huge plan to repay.

Never had a bad thought in my life in reality, but what goes through my head in regards to the people in charge locally would not make pleasant reading

๐Ÿ™

I’m so, so sorry that you are finding things so difficult and that you have received so little help along the way from the people who should be taking care of you. The funding issues for almost every area of health care need to be addressed and quickly. I don’t understand why they are not helping you with a BMI of 57. Berkshire’s BMI limit is 50 isn’t it? You can apply to other PCTs where the limit suits yours or is it too late?

I wish I could make things better for you but all I can do is offer my support and help with whatever I can. Not much I know… It’s hard to stay positive when you feel like the whole world is against you but a negative attitude is insidious and ends up blighting every other aspect of your life so please try to remain hopeful that things will be ok. Try contacting the hospital again to see if they can offer any help with how to go about applying for a PCT with a lower BMI threshold. They may not but then you could research it on the internet or NHS direct. Also, make yourself very familiar with the NICE guidlines regarding bariatric surgery. They change all the time! Your GP should be able to help you with this too. NEVER give up hope xx

Doodah x

londonmag

Thanks doodah, but 4 weeks today and we are off and running as long as shaw remembers to sharpen his scalpel and staple gun!

I have had nearly 5 years of private dieticians, shrinks, OA, lighter life, weight watchers, slim world, paul mckenna himself, the cardinal clinic, the priory etc etc, I was told I had to go on an nhs course for another 6 months, then on the list – all in all a year more, and I might be dead.

My docs were and still are an abomination, all running the numbers and patient care is low down the list, I am just trying to think of it as the best Christmas present I can give my darling children

๐Ÿ™‚

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 103 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media