Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Help 2 months post op and gaining weight :(

Home » Topics » Surgical Journey » The Gastric Bypass Operation » The Gastric Bypass- 6 months & beyond » Help 2 months post op and gaining weight :(

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Noodlex

Help! I have totally let myself down and dont know what to do…I am ashamed of myself but can eat crisps and chocolate!!! I have no idea why 🙁 I only have 1 packet a day but even so WHY? I have no dumping symptoms or anything 🙁 I ate a creme egg just to satisfy my craving for chocolate and I wanted it to make me really ill 🙁 but it did nothing!
    I have now put on weight and am only 8 weeks post surgery! How can I stop this? I can also eat alot of food…far too much 🙁
    I will ring St Richards but am ashamed of this gift I have been given and have abused it….
    Sophie

SJ

It’s never too late to get back on track. You have found out that you do not dump, so it is going to be harder for you to avoid sweets, chocolate, fatty foods (like crisps) etc, but you CAN still do it. Speak to the team at St Richards, they may be able to offer some counselling to support you as well as dietary advice. The problem is that the surgery fixes our tummies but not our heads, you have to use willpower to avoid eating all those foods that you shouldn’t.

The added problem is that crisps and chocolate if they don’t make you ill are slider foods full of empty calories that will sail through your new pouch meaning you can eat of lot of them. Stop now! Please!

It is only more recently that I have started to eat bigger portions and that is after the dietician has nagged me into doing so, I do feel hunger now, but get full quite easily. I haven’t tried chocolate or sweets, and don’t plan to. I have a few crisps at parties now and then, but that is all. You need to set yourself some rules (hard, I know), get some help and work hard and getting back on track. Weight gain must be hard to manage, but you can turn this around…

Whilst you have your windown of opportunity to lose weight (which can last from 6 – 18 months post op) make the most of this chance, it won’t come around again, and whilst you can still lose weight after this time, it will be harder…

You could always try posting your daily food intake on here for some help and advice on what to avoid, what to eat more of eat. Focus on protein first, then fruit and veggies and finally carbs like bread, rice, potatoes. Avoid sugar, fatty foods pretty much completely, and try to drink at least 2 litres of water a day.

Good luck, and let us know how you get on.

Oh darling
    it’s so hard
    this is what i TRY to get across in my posts and i know that some forum members may think i a a bit negative at times

but i ALWAYS TRY TO POST HONESTLY
    and truth is some people can eat andsd in bigger amounts and sweets and fats ect and never suffer dumping!!!
    AND THASTS WHEN IT COMES DOWN TO OLD FASHIONED WILL POWER
    which ironicallly if we had that to begin with -then we wouldnt have needed the surgery
    you may not like what i am about to say-but with the greatest of respect you NEED tpo hear it
    SIMPLY PUT-
    YOU NOW HAVE 2 CHOICES
    1/STOP eating sweets use your gastric bypass ”tool” and lose weight and get healthy
    or
    2/KEEP EATING SWEETS a bit more and a bit more
    and bite by bite you will gain weight get FAT AGAIN and right back to square one
    ONLY YOU CAN CONTROL what YOU PUT into YOUR mouth
    anyone pre op who thinks this op is a miricle cure is craxy
    its control and self restricition for the rest of your life
    THE key phrase being you will have a life!!
    best of luck x
    @Noodlex 13810 wrote:

Help! I have totally let myself down and dont know what to do…I am ashamed of myself but can eat crisps and chocolate!!! I have no idea why 🙁 I only have 1 packet a day but even so WHY? I have no dumping symptoms or anything 🙁 I ate a creme egg just to satisfy my craving for chocolate and I wanted it to make me really ill 🙁 but it did nothing!
    I have now put on weight and am only 8 weeks post surgery! How can I stop this? I can also eat alot of food…far too much 🙁
    I will ring St Richards but am ashamed of this gift I have been given and have abused it….
    Sophie

Noodlex

Thank you both for your replies. I will definatly take on board what you are saying and will act on it 🙂 got any ideas for healthy snacks? some which i can keep on me? I had a rich tea biscuit in the hospital but I know this is not healthy but I do like it mand find that easy to carry with me. Or any idea so I dont feel the need to snack on rubbish as soon as I walk in the door 🙂

Thanks
    Sophie x

A great and filling snack is
    a small sized multi seed pitta bread from ”the food doctor” range at tesco
    toasted and sliced into quarter inch strips
    and 1 tbl sppon of flavored humous or spicy chickpea dip
    its nutritious and low fat
    and yummy xxx

snacks to carry with you
    a few nuts not salted
    I have roasted almonds and dried cherries again from tesco
    yummy xx

peewit

Thank You, Noodlex, for your post.
    Are you having large enough meals and sticking to scheduled snacks? And of course keeping your fluid intake up. After that, it may very well be down to distracting yourself until the cravings past and willpower.

I don’t think there is a problem with one rich tea biscuit as a snack. I have made myself some protein ice cream which I found in Carol’s Cookbook. Its all protein so good for boosting protein levels and whilst not being quite the same, it still feels like a treat. I also love Petit Filous. On a personal basis, I have always found carbohydrates rather addictive so try limiting your carb intake to wholefoods and complex carbs. Although not handy to carry with you, all these will help if you are really hungry but if it’s head hunger then maybe you need some professional help with a councellor to help you learn to overcome this. I’m sure you are not the first who has encountered this problem so get in touch with The Loxley Centre and see if they can help. I’m sorry you are finding it so hard, I’m only just over a week post op so have all the temptation of a returning appetite and cravings to face. Take the bull by the horns and try reorganising what and how you are eating now and you can return to success. Remember this is path is a winding one.
    Patsy

oops! I forgot
    drink drink drink at LEAST 2 LITRES of water per day
    I drink this every night to help fill me up a bit and take my hunger pangs away
    best of luckx

Anonymous

Sophie sweetheart, Please dont be so disapointed quite yet.
    You will be one who like me can enjoy most things and possibly find yourself stalling occasioanlly.

Just conisder the times you might be turning to the foods you think might be the cause.
    Make more time between treats and ensure they are not a daily thing.
    its heartbreaking to stall or see the scales go up, but it happens if your not careful.
    It takes weeks for the scales to be effected so this is not down to what you did yesterday…

You might just need a little more support than some, but it will be worth it in the long run…

Make a treat time a weekly thing, a reward…..

Renn might well be able to help here, weight consultant…..;)

Otherwise lets do something together, The “fewer treat club” a daily blog or catch up or something…..
    I too need to revise what I am doing…. lol

All the best

Buzz xx

or better still….
    TRY to make your ”TREATS” non food related
    i.e. a good long soak with candles and soft music or a pamper night time just for yourself etc
    or once a month a new dress size item of clothing????
    Associating treats with food is our old behaviour which got us into this state to begin with.
    it’s very difficult but changing behaviours and the way that you think about food is what will help you most
    After all
    IF you ALWAYS do
    what you have ALWAYS done
    Then you will ALWAYS get
    What you have ALWAYS got
    Time for change eh???

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media