Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Help! Part 10

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Lelly

I am going to phone Loxwood tomorrow but has anyone had diarrhea problems after surgery? I do have IBS but has been under control with Co-Codamol but is not having any affect at the moment. I am also having problems with eating, like I can eat something one day and try again and bring it up, some of what I bring up is food the rest is really thick gungy stuff, sorry too much information I know. It is getting me down now and I am frightened to leave home regarding bottom problem

Lelly

penny

poor you, that’s not nice, It will be great to see the team tomorrow at loxwood they are so nice there. They will sort you out and let you know the best thing to do, please let us know how you get on, best wishes
    penny
    x

bikerchris
    Participant

Hi Lelly,

I’ve not had that problem but I agree it is not nice for you.

The ‘thick gungy’ you describe sounds like a symptom of dumping, although again I have no personal experience. I assume you’re being v careful about sugar and fat? Remember recovering from wls is a marathon not a sprint, if you’re having trouble, take a step back. Try a few days on purees and fluids to see if it settles. You’re absolutely right to have a chat with your team though, they are the experts. Hope you’re better soon xx

Doodah
    Keymaster

@Lelly 34361 wrote:

I am going to phone Loxwood tomorrow but has anyone had diarrhea problems after surgery? I do have IBS but has been under control with Co-Codamol but is not having any affect at the moment. I am also having problems with eating, like I can eat something one day and try again and bring it up, some of what I bring up is food the rest is really thick gungy stuff, sorry too much information I know. It is getting me down now and I am frightened to leave home regarding bottom problem

Lelly

Hi Lelly.

What you are describing sounds like dumping syndrome. The gunge is caused by over production of the salivary glands in the body’s attempt to digest food. It is like something out of ‘Ghostbusters’ – ectoplasm!

I have also had botty trouble when I have dumped. It’s horrible and can make you nervous about going out. The solution? Eat very, very slowly and avoid high fat, high sugar foods. Also, don’t drink anything 20 mins before or after food. Your little pouch doesn’t have the capacity to take it all and will chuck it out (either end) of your body.

Dumping Syndrome: Causes, Symptoms, Foods to Avoid, and Treatments

Please click on the above link to read more about it. Also, have a word with your team. Everyone is different and you may have a problem that isn’t even wls related so it is always wise to check with your team. Don’t worry, they will have heard everything before and will be eager to put your mind at rest.

Hope this is helpful.

Doodah x

Lelly

Thank you all, I haven’t phoned Loxwood today, as reduced size of meals, changed meals and felt better today xx

Doodah
    Keymaster

@Lelly 34371 wrote:

Thank you all, I haven’t phoned Loxwood today, as reduced size of meals, changed meals and felt better today xx

So glad you are feeling better Lelly.

It’s such a learning curve after wls isn’t it? I’m seven years post surgery and I am still learning every day!

I always say that if you run into trouble, go back to basics. I go to soup. I have home made, nourishing and easy to digest soup for a few days to allow my pouch to settle. It works for me, but we are all different. If you continue to feel uncomfortable, ring your team. We can fall into the trap of ‘blaming’ our weight loss surgery for for everything!

Have a great week my lovely.

Doodah x

Lelly

@Doodah 34380 wrote:

So glad you are feeling better Lelly.

It’s such a learning curve after wls isn’t it? I’m seven years post surgery and I am still learning every day!

I always say that if you run into trouble, go back to basics. I go to soup. I have home made, nourishing and easy to digest soup for a few days to allow my pouch to settle. It works for me, but we are all different. If you continue to feel uncomfortable, ring your team. We can fall into the trap of ‘blaming’ our weight loss surgery for for everything!

Have a great week my lovely.

Doodah x

Thank you for your advice and kind words, I am better, I still get problems but I believe that it is probably my IBS now. I think that I was trying to eat too much, I look at what I have on my plate and think, is that it but when I eat it, it is enough or even too much, it is weird after eating so much to eat so little, now I realise that I don’t care about food it has been easier. I was also keeping to the same things and I was bored, I now have lots of little bits in fridge and cupboard to ring the changes, had nuts for the first time today, chewed them to within an inch of their lives and they went down fine, also having cucumber with my cheese now, peeled obviously, bliss!

Lelly xx

Doodah
    Keymaster

@Lelly 34385 wrote:

Thank you for your advice and kind words, I am better, I still get problems but I believe that it is probably my IBS now. I think that I was trying to eat too much, I look at what I have on my plate and think, is that it but when I eat it, it is enough or even too much, it is weird after eating so much to eat so little, now I realise that I don’t care about food it has been easier. I was also keeping to the same things and I was bored, I now have lots of little bits in fridge and cupboard to ring the changes, had nuts for the first time today, chewed them to within an inch of their lives and they went down fine, also having cucumber with my cheese now, peeled obviously, bliss!

Lelly xx

I cannot praise nuts highly enough! I’m a vegetarian so nuts are my main source of protein along with cheese and pulses. Most days I have porridge for lunch with a variety of nuts and fruit in it. Yesterday I had blueberries and brazil nuts and today I will have honey and fresh nectarine with hazelnuts. With some berries and nuts, you can make a different lunch every day and the texture of the nuts forces you to chew, chew, chew!

You have done exactly the right thing by buying some nice bits and pieces to keep in your fridge. That way you won’t get bored but will be healthy and be balanced nutrition wise. Cucumber – another underrated food! I LOVE it. I have a tiny little loaf of multi grain bread (they look like a child’s portion) to make a sandwich. Thin slices of cheddar cheese, cucumber, whole grain mustard and a tiny scraping of butter. YUM!!

http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/tesco-price-comparison/Bread/Warburtons_Seeded_Batch_Loaf_400g.html

I’m so happy that you are learning what suits you. Like I said, we are all learning – all the time!

Doodah x

Lelly

@Doodah 34386 wrote:

I cannot praise nuts highly enough! I’m a vegetarian so nuts are my main source of protein along with cheese and pulses. Most days I have porridge for lunch with a variety of nuts and fruit in it. Yesterday I had blueberries and brazil nuts and today I will have honey and fresh nectarine with hazelnuts. With some berries and nuts, you can make a different lunch every day and the texture of the nuts forces you to chew, chew, chew!

You have done exactly the right thing by buying some nice bits and pieces to keep in your fridge. That way you won’t get bored but will be healthy and be balanced nutrition wise. Cucumber – another underrated food! I LOVE it. I have a tiny little loaf of multi grain bread (they look like a child’s portion) to make a sandwich. Thin slices of cheddar cheese, cucumber, whole grain mustard and a tiny scraping of butter. YUM!!

http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/tesco-price-comparison/Bread/Warburtons_Seeded_Batch_Loaf_400g.html

I’m so happy that you are learning what suits you. Like I said, we are all learning – all the time!

Doodah x

Tried fishsticks today, formally crabsticks and no not for me, hated taste, texture and the look of them, so our doggies will get them later, if they like them. I am enjoying trying things now but my taste buds have changed, I so had a sweet tooth before my op and now I am savoury but food is not the be all or end all anymore, love it!

Doodah
    Keymaster

@Lelly 34387 wrote:

Tried fishsticks today, formally crabsticks and no not for me, hated taste, texture and the look of them, so our doggies will get them later, if they like them. I am enjoying trying things now but my taste buds have changed, I so had a sweet tooth before my op and now I am savoury but food is not the be all or end all anymore, love it!

This is actually very common, Lelly. I have been told by many people who have had wls that they end up preferring savoury to sweet. However, I have never heard of the reverse happening. It’s very interesting isn’t it?

I still have days where I really crave salty food and have to keep myself in check and not give in. Too much of anything is not good for us. I’m of the generation when Mum’s salted all the vegetables whilst cooking them and put sugar on your cereal in the morning and in your tea. Yet, I was a slim child and there were hardly any fat children at school.

I hope your doggies like their fish sticks! They will see them as a real treat if they do. Dog’s are basically dustbins on four legs haha!

Doodah x

Kimberly
    Participant

I have an I phone and found an app eat slower it’s free , I found if I didn’t eat u ghostbusters dumped yuck .rome wasn’t built in a day . Learning to eat slowly takes time . They say in research psychologically a month or two to unlearn habits . I found a journal helpful when first out . I also made a time table with fluids , meals and snacks on a timer . Also good advise from here have a warm drink in the morning helps warm up the pouch . Personally i have two mugs of tea before I’m human . Then breakfast milky weetabix ( use ramekin ) then 20/30 minutes more sips foods . Snack tenish then more fluids , lunch then snack. Then tea then more fluid then milky drink to go to sleep on . Plus a pint of nas squash for the night . Any way just an idea

bikerchris
    Participant

I found learning to eat more slowly was really difficult. Immediately after surgery was OK, probably because it was all new and I was terrified of damaging myself. But once I knew my new plumbing was working well, it was hard not to let old fast eating return. I do try to put my knife and fork down between mouthfuls and to have a conversation over mealtimes instead of shovelling it in. I don’t know about 2 months to learn a new habit, I’m still working on it!

The other thing about dogs being dustbins, after I had wls, my dog got fatter because I was giving him everything I couldn’t manage. I had to stop doing that, obviously it’s OK to give him the odd thing but excess weight is as bad for them as it is for us. These days, if I give him the fat off my meat, it’s instead of his usual dog meat not as well as. That way, we both slimmed down together

My dog’s favourites are poppadoms and prawn crackers, odd fella!

Chris x

penny

Hi bikerchris, there is so much to learn, I have been reading and watching the you ,tube with all surgery, but i am counting the days until i am having mine done, I am so glad vickster is doing well, i am looking forward to following her progress, who was her surgeon ? as you know mine one is chris pring.
    xx

Doodah
    Keymaster

@Kimberly 34395 wrote:

I have an I phone and found an app eat slower it’s free , I found if I didn’t eat u ghostbusters dumped yuck .roke wasn’t built in a day . Learning to eat slowly takes time . They say in research psychologically a month or two to unlearn habits . I found a journal helpful when first out . I also made a time table with fluids , meals and snacks on a timer . Also good advise from here have a walk drink in the morning helps warm up the pouch . Personally i have two mugs of tea before I’m human . Then breakfast milky weetabix ( use ramekin ) then 20/30 minutes more sips foods . Snack tenish then more fluids , lunch then snack. Then tea then more fluid then milky drink to go to sleep on . Plus a pint of nas squash for the night . Any way just an idea

Only two cups Kim?? I take at least four haha!

Fab advice, as always 🙂

Doodah x

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media