Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Hello there!

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    Vickster

@treeza 33143 wrote:

People are just mean & not worth our time or tears x

I was at the theatre with my Mom once & couple women were staring, looking me up & down then whispering to each other. In a moment if being brave & pissed off (sorry for swearing). I turned to my Mom & said very loud hey those two woman are checking me out!!! I think I’ve pulled. They looked very embarrassed when people turned & stared at them. They very quickly walked away.

I just want to shout at people you don’t know me, you don’t know what I do for a living, how many people who truly love me for me. It’s hard to ignore people being blatantly rude! Vickster can I ask were abouts you live? You don’t have to answer if you’d rather not x

Ah Treeza, what a brilliant, brilliant response!! I live in Eastbourne x

Vickster

@bikerchris 33144 wrote:

I identify with all of this. Having a towel that goes round me and using a chair with arms were on my wish list too.

But the comments from strangers is a horrible thing and Vickster’s post made me remember how upsetting it is. Whilst its not ok to ridicule someone for the colour of their skin, their sexuality or comment if someone has big ears or a big nose, but somehow it’s ok to point out obesity.

In fact it seems to be positively encouraged! I really don’t understand it, it’s an addiction like any other, so why is it ok to ridicule? Makes my blood boil!

Vickster

@Doodah 33147 wrote:

YES I AM!! Are you? I’m a total geek. I wrote my dissertation on the works of Joss Whedon – how he always has women in the ‘hero’ role. Buffy is my all time favourite character. I have every single episode on DVD and the extra ones like the musical episode. I even have the music from both Buffy and Angel. As for Star Trek, I have been a fan for 45 years! Love all of them, including the films.

Oh my life, do I come across as scary now hahaha!? Maybe one day we will attend a convention in our star Trek costumes wearing the lovely long boots, just like my other hero Lt Uhura?

Star Trek Uhura Costume – Fancy Dress and Party

Oh my goodness, Vickster, I promise you I’m not a nutter (well…..) but I am now thinking of organising a fancy dress party for my husband’s birthday and guess what I will be wearing?!

Have a great day – Live long and prosper 🙂

Doodah x

Fantastic! I didn’t think I was a geek, but I think my husband has bought out the inner geek in me! We both love Buffy and think Joss Whedon is pure genius! And the musical episode is a real favourite, I often get in the car and find the cd playing! Steve tells me that I am his Anya..I don’t know what he means…lol
    Love Star Trek, favourite is TNG, Steve would be in his element if I one day could dress up as seven of nine!!

I am hoping that you really are that mad!

In the meantime, I’ll leave you with a Buffy quote –

“That’s right, I’m back, and I’m a bloody animal!”
    From one of my faves..Spike!

x

Lauren
    Keymaster

FANTASTIC QUOTE!! And yes, I was a Buffy and Spike, not Buffy and Angel. And I’m mad. We are going top get along famously 🙂

Anya was one of the funniest characters ever in Buffy. I loved her – she had no censor and would just tell it like it is (bit like me really haha!)

Your husband has taste – Seven of Nine is a goddess!

I’m bloomin LOVING this!

Doodah x

Lauren
    Keymaster

@Lelly 33142 wrote:

Yes Doodah, she is brave and honest but what she fails to tell you all is how pretty she is and how smart she looks and as for the people in the street who we know can be very cruel, they cannot be nice people as we would never point at someone ugly or take their photo to laugh at later, they are the “freaks”. I have been a bit down lately and she has been so supportive and caring, thank you Vickster xx

LOVE this. I love this forum. There are people on here who are so wonderful that it feels like I have known them my whole life. And you will feel the same xx

Doodah x

Kimberly
    Participant

We have a dear friend who I meet at group and she has a great saying skinny ugly . You know skinny but ugly in the inside . . I also struggle with authority and use to get really anxious so a tip a friend gave me is to visualise them constipated and straining for a pooh , honesty it works for me lol

Lauren
    Keymaster

@Kimberly 33154 wrote:

We have a dear friend who I meet at group and she has a great saying skinny ugly . You know skinny but ugly in the inside . . I also struggle with authority and use to get really anxious so a tip a friend gave me is to visualise them constipated and straining for a pooh , honesty it works for me lol

HAHAHAHA!! I’m not well this morning but this really made me laugh out loud, Kim!! Definitely going to try this.

Doodah x

Lelly

@Vickster 33148 wrote:

Oh Lelly, thank you so much, I really don’t know what to say! I am so lucky to be sharing this journey with you. thank you so much for your support!

Lets hope we can get together soon for good news!!!

We are both lucky to be sharing this together, it is lovely having someone who is in the same boat as you and at the exact same time. We are also so lucky to have been given this lifeline, our lives will change forever, how brilliant is that. It would be the cherry on the cake if we have our operation on the same day xxx

Lauren
    Keymaster

My dear friend Susan was my ward companion when I had my bypass. We remain lifelong friends. There is nothing to compare to having someone with you right from the starting line, to the winning tape. She is wonderful. My Surgery Sister.

Doodah x

Vickster

I really feel so touched that I have already encountered such lovely people, and feel so, so lucky to have met Lelly, I think I have really found a very special friend!

Lauren
    Keymaster

We don’t allow negativity on this forum. That’s not to say we don’t encourage people to be honest about drawbacks or problems they encounter, quite the opposite in fact: nothing is swept under the carpet. However, rudeness and intolerance isn’t, well, tolerated!

This is a sanctuary. A place where people feel supported, encouraged and helped. By people who know exactly what it is like to have such a life changing experience. We are very, very lucky to have such wonderfully giving people here, and some of us are even luckier in that we get to meet them in real life!. I have no doubt that you and Lelly will be lifelong friends. It’s one of the biggest bonuses about wls that people can overlook.

In the past, I have had to remove people from this forum. It’s a horrible thing to have to do but, it can be absolutely necessary sometimes to make sure that everyone feels valued and safe. So, be assured that the people you encounter here are all potential friends!

I’m so looking forward to hearing all about your journeys together.

Doodah x

Kimberly
    Participant

I agree this is a wonderful forum , people here are so kind , I was in a bad way summer of 2013 failed anaesthetics , and I was so sad I thought at that time this is it I’m just going to be house bound waiting for my big heart attack . But the wonderful people on this forum supported me they didn’t judge and were fantastic .they are just great kind people

Vickster

@Kimberly 33168 wrote:

I agree this is a wonderful forum , people here are so kind , I was in a bad way summer of 2013 failed anaesthetics , and I was so sad I thought at that time this is it I’m just going to be house bound waiting for my big heart attack . But the wonderful people on this forum supported me they didn’t judge and were fantastic .they are just great kind people

It’s really not so many months ago that I said to my husband that I didn’t care anymore if my weight killed me. The only thing that I was worried about was the lack of dignity when they had to come and cart me out of the house, and the extra large coffin etc etc.

But now I have hope, I want to live, and I know that I am worth this! (I can’t believe I have said that!). In the last couple of weeks I have finally accepted that being overweight doesn’t make me a bad person. I am so going to grab this with both hands!
    I just wish I knew when it was! The wait is driving me bonkers!

It is so easy to talk to you guys, this journey really is something special x x

Lauren
    Keymaster

@Vickster 33169 wrote:

It’s really not so many months ago that I said to my husband that I didn’t care anymore if my weight killed me. The only thing that I was worried about was the lack of dignity when they had to come and cart me out of the house, and the extra large coffin etc etc.

But now I have hope, I want to live, and I know that I am worth this! (I can’t believe I have said that!). In the last couple of weeks I have finally accepted that being overweight doesn’t make me a bad person. I am so going to grab this with both hands!

Oh Vickster, I’m SO glad that you care whether or not you live again. This resonated with me on so many levels. At many points, I felt exactly the same way. With a BMI of 64, mobility problems and a massive, struggling heart trying to keep working when carting round 26+ st, I absolutely didn’t care some mornings if I never woke up again.

My wls was such a lifeline, just like it was for Kim. I’m never going to be a healthy, active person but you know what? I’m here! And the new friends I have made (along with the old ones and my family) make every day worth living.

I cannot wait for this to happen for you. I’m so lucky to be able to hear about all our combined victories (and a few not so successful events – like dumping syndrome!) and be able to celebrate them together, as a group. When I see people change month after month at support group, it makes me SO happy. I get to see all the beautiful butterflies emerging from their chrysalis-like tombs of obesity. And the smiles!! well, they get bigger and bigger!

I’m glad you find it easy to talk on here, Vickster, because that is exactly what is intended. I honestly hope you get to hear soon. The suspense is almost unbearable haha!

Doodah x

Kimberly
    Participant

@Vickster 33169 wrote:

you are so worth it .we all are , and it’s something I belive we have to keep saying to our self and each other , I know it’s hard waiting , but you are worth it don’t they say good things come to thouse who wait ! So keep talking and believing , this surgery saves life’s and is transforming . In the mean time start looking to get yoir self as fit as possible , because yoir worth it x

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media