Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Hello there!

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #31669
    Vickster
    Member

    Hi all, just wanted to say Hi really! I had my MDT on 16th January at St Richards, and was told that I will be having a gastric bypass – yaaaay and eeeeek!
    Apparently it will be a three to six month wait. I have waited one week and I think I am going to combust! I have been dreaming of all the things that this might mean, and I just want me new life to start! I know there will be challenges and pit falls on the way, but I just can’t carry on like this. I have a bmi of almost 75, and I am finding life so hard because of it.

    Wanted to say a huge thank you to Lelly who told me about this site, and for agreeing to swap email addresses at the appointment, it’s great to have someone to share the journey with!

    Anyway, just wanted to say Hi, had best get on with some work now!!

    #53303
    Lelly
    Member

    @Vickster 33116 wrote:

    Hi all, just wanted to say Hi really! I had my MDT on 16th January at St Richards, and was told that I will be having a gastric bypass – yaaaay and eeeeek!
    Apparently it will be a three to six month wait. I have waited one week and I think I am going to combust! I have been dreaming of all the things that this might mean, and I just want me new life to start! I know there will be challenges and pit falls on the way, but I just can’t carry on like this. I have a bmi of almost 75, and I am finding life so hard because of it.

    Wanted to say a huge thank you to Lelly who told me about this site, and for agreeing to swap email addresses at the appointment, it’s great to have someone to share the journey with!

    Anyway, just wanted to say Hi, had best get on with some work now!!

    Hello Vickster,
    It is lovely to see you on here and I am so pleased and grateful that we shall be sharing our journey together, cannot think of a nicer person to do it with. Do you realise that we shall be waddling into the sunset, getting thinner and thinner as we go. Hey, we shall never be models but we will be amazing. Take care lovely lady and we shall speak soon, everyone on here are absolutely brilliant and for once in my life I don’t feel abnormal xxx

    #53298
    treeza
    Member

    Hi there & welcome. Your journey has begun & so great to have found someone to share your journey with as well as all if us. We are all a different stages.
    Keep us up dated as to how you are getting on. Take care. Teresa xxx

    #53280
    Lauren
    Keymaster

    @Vickster 33116 wrote:

    Hi all, just wanted to say Hi really! I had my MDT on 16th January at St Richards, and was told that I will be having a gastric bypass – yaaaay and eeeeek!
    Apparently it will be a three to six month wait. I have waited one week and I think I am going to combust! I have been dreaming of all the things that this might mean, and I just want me new life to start! I know there will be challenges and pit falls on the way, but I just can’t carry on like this. I have a bmi of almost 75, and I am finding life so hard because of it.

    Wanted to say a huge thank you to Lelly who told me about this site, and for agreeing to swap email addresses at the appointment, it’s great to have someone to share the journey with!

    Anyway, just wanted to say Hi, had best get on with some work now!!

    Hi Vickster and welcome to our friendly forum.

    I’m so glad Lelly gave you the details and that you have made a wls friend already!

    One of the bonuses of having wls is the friends you make along the way – it truly is! I have met people who I know will be in my life forever. What a bonus!?

    The waiting time will zoom by, even though it won’t feel like it some days.

    Lelly is right, this forum is a place of help, support, friendship and absolutely 100% no judgement. We are all the same and have all been right where you are now.

    The only thing I would suggest at this stage is to try to get as healthy as you possibly can before the surgery – it will help the surgeon to keep you save during the operation. Also, read as much as you can about the procedure you are going to have, that way, there will not be too many surprises that you feel unable to deal with.

    The people on this forum are wonderful. I am lucky enough to call many of them friends and meet up with them in ‘real life’ all the time. They know exactly what I am talking about and offer fantastic advice and support.

    Speaking of support, I run a group in Portsmouth that you would be very welcome to attend if you are near enough and the lovely Streamliner runs one in Harrow if that is nearer for you.

    Anyway, I’m prattling again!! We are all very glad that you have come to join us on here and I know that I, for one, am really looking forward to hearing all about your journey.

    Have a great day

    Doodah x

    #53301
    bikerchris
    Participant

    Hi Vickster and welcome. As soon as I started reading your post I thought of Lelly who told us about her appointment on the same day. How lovely that you met and that you can undertake this wonderful journey together.

    As has been said, this forum is the place to be for everything wls related. Questions, advice, doubts are all resolved here. If you need a laugh or a cry, come here too. I’m looking forward to hearing how you’re getting on.

    Chris x

    #53294
    Kimberly
    Participant

    Hi so happy for you , it’s a wonderful feeling and I know the wait seem ages but your almost their , if you can please try a support group I find it really helpful and I learnt so much from every one . I meet some of the nicest kindest people here and at group. Honesty they really held me emotionally when I was having a bad time . It’s strange I know they will be my friends for life . My bypass has been awesome I’m living a life now rather than a watcher . I’m about to go on holiday and I’m so looking forward to eating with the table and arms down and no extender belt . But their other little things that mean a lot like being able to put a towel all the way around you . Painting my toe nails , I love nail varnish now and you have this to look forward to have you got a wish list ?

    #53310
    Vickster
    Member

    @Kimberly 33125 wrote:

    Hi so happy for you , it’s a wonderful feeling and I know the wait seem ages but your almost their , if you can please try a support group I find it really helpful and I learnt so much from every one . I meet some of the nicest kindest people here and at group. Honesty they really held me emotionally when I was having a bad time . It’s strange I know they will be my friends for life . My bypass has been awesome I’m living a life now rather than a watcher . I’m about to go on holiday and I’m so looking forward to eating with the table and arms down and no extender belt . But their other little things that mean a lot like being able to put a towel all the way around you . Painting my toe nails , I love nail varnish now and you have this to look forward to have you got a wish list ?

    Thank you all for the lovely welcome! And that’s so lovely of you Lelly! Yep, looking forward to our sunset walk!!!

    Doodah, I am afraid that is a little far away from me, but there is a local one in a couple of weeks, just need to pluck up the courage to go, especially as I will have no one to go with me that day! But I really will go, I just need to make that leap!

    Kimberly, I have a huge wish list! And they are mainly silly things that people that have not been there wouldn’t understand, a lovely bubble bath is one of them, and then being able to wrap myself in a towel after! Painting my toe nails is another, having a lap that my god daughter can sit on, or balance something on it! And being ale to sit in any srt of chair without fear of it collapsing or the sides digging in and bruising me! Also on my wish list is being anonymous, to not have abuse thrown at me in the street, to not have people take photos of “the freak” on their smart phones, etc etc. Good grief that sounds ridiculously depressing!
    Mostly though I am looking forward to being able too start again, to be healthier and fitter, and to get to know who I am again (which also in part terrifies me as I have been overweight since childhood!).
    Anyway, it’s an exciting time, and I will do my best to use the waiting period wisely!

    Thank you all for your support x x

    #53281
    Lauren
    Keymaster

    @Vickster 33130 wrote:

    Thank you all for the lovely welcome! And that’s so lovely of you Lelly! Yep, looking forward to our sunset walk!!!

    Doodah, I am afraid that is a little far away from me, but there is a local one in a couple of weeks, just need to pluck up the courage to go, especially as I will have no one to go with me that day! But I really will go, I just need to make that leap!

    Kimberly, I have a huge wish list! And they are mainly silly things that people that have not been there wouldn’t understand, a lovely bubble bath is one of them, and then being able to wrap myself in a towel after! Painting my toe nails is another, having a lap that my god daughter can sit on, or balance something on it! And being ale to sit in any srt of chair without fear of it collapsing or the sides digging in and bruising me! Also on my wish list is being anonymous, to not have abuse thrown at me in the street, to not have people take photos of “the freak” on their smart phones, etc etc. Good grief that sounds ridiculously depressing!
    Mostly though I am looking forward to being able too start again, to be healthier and fitter, and to get to know who I am again (which also in part terrifies me as I have been overweight since childhood!).
    Anyway, it’s an exciting time, and I will do my best to use the waiting period wisely!

    Thank you all for your support x x

    People can be SO cruel can’t they? SO judgemental.

    I had forgotten the towel thing – even a mega sized bath sheet didn’t go round me and as for a towelling robe/hospital gown – forget it!

    Go along to the support group if you can find the courage. It really will change things for you and you can learn so much more from people who have actually had wls.

    I still check chairs before I sit in them and I never tire of painting my own toenails. Or being able to wear zip-up long boots! All this is yours for the taking along with so many more things that ‘regular’ sized people don’t even have to think about.

    I think you will like the ‘real’ you very, very much as she sounds like a very brave and honest woman to me ๐Ÿ™‚

    Doodah x

    #53311
    Vickster
    Member

    Thank you so much Doodah, that really, really touched me!
    I do struggle with the shoe thing so much, and usually end up wearing seasonally inappropriate shoes, either feet baking in the summer, or freezing and soaking in the winter, so I am sooo hoping that this time next year I will be wearing a nice pair of winter boots!
    Yep, same as, can’t get a bath sheet round me, really do have a dream of a perfect bath with candles, expensive bubbles, the lot!
    I just want it all to get started! I always thought I was quite a patient person, turns out I am just like my Mum after all!

    P.S. I have seen the trekky quote from you, and your Joss Whedon quote, am I right to assume you are a bit of a sci-fi fan? x

    #53299
    treeza
    Member

    Hi again Vickster
    So much of what you wrote rings bells for me. The being worried that you won’t fit in the seat. I used to freakier every time we went somewhere different & if the seats had arms or not. That moment when you go to sit down & know your not going to fit. People are so mean. Staring at you, whisper or just blatantly making rude comments. So hurtful when a family member hear or see it as it really affects them to.
    The good news this will soon all change for you. Your life is going to change for the better in so many ways.
    Sue is right I still worry about seating I’m not sure that ever completely goes away. I had my first bath in years a couple of weeks ago – bliss :0). It was in a hotel as we only have a shower at home!
    Fitting into an airplane seat with no seat belt extension, painting your toe nails, going to the theatre, going to the cinema & walking any kind of distance without being exhausted after a few steps.
    My advice to you whilst waiting just try to get as fit as you can. Any kind of exercise will help. Keep coming on here everyone is so helpful & supportive. We do tell it as it is I’m afraid warts & all. I think for me it was important to know the ups & downs.
    It really isn’t the easy way out in fact it’s very hard but oh so worth it.
    Keep in touch. There is no such thing as a silly question so please don’t be afraid to ask. Someone is bound to know the answer or can source it for you x good luck xxx

    #53304
    Lelly
    Member

    @Doodah 33135 wrote:

    People can be SO cruel can’t they? SO judgemental.

    I had forgotten the towel thing – even a mega sized bath sheet didn’t go round me and as for a towelling robe/hospital gown – forget it!

    Go along to the support group if you can find the courage. It really will change things for you and you can learn so much more from people who have actually had wls.

    I still check chairs before I sit in them and I never tire of painting my own toenails. Or being able to wear zip-up long boots! All this is yours for the taking along with so many more things that ‘regular’ sized people don’t even have to think about.

    I think you will like the ‘real’ you very, very much as she sounds like a very brave and honest woman to me ๐Ÿ™‚

    Doodah x

    Yes Doodah, she is brave and honest but what she fails to tell you all is how pretty she is and how smart she looks and as for the people in the street who we know can be very cruel, they cannot be nice people as we would never point at someone ugly or take their photo to laugh at later, they are the “freaks”. I have been a bit down lately and she has been so supportive and caring, thank you Vickster xx

    #53300
    treeza
    Member

    People are just mean & not worth our time or tears x

    I was at the theatre with my Mom once & couple women were staring, looking me up & down then whispering to each other. In a moment if being brave & pissed off (sorry for swearing). I turned to my Mom & said very loud hey those two woman are checking me out!!! I think I’ve pulled. They looked very embarrassed when people turned & stared at them. They very quickly walked away.

    I just want to shout at people you don’t know me, you don’t know what I do for a living, how many people who truly love me for me. It’s hard to ignore people being blatantly rude! Vickster can I ask were abouts you live? You don’t have to answer if you’d rather not x

    #53302
    bikerchris
    Participant

    I identify with all of this. Having a towel that goes round me and using a chair with arms were on my wish list too.

    But the comments from strangers is a horrible thing and Vickster’s post made me remember how upsetting it is. Whilst its not ok to ridicule someone for the colour of their skin, their sexuality or comment if someone has big ears or a big nose, but somehow it’s ok to point out obesity.

    #53282
    Lauren
    Keymaster

    @Vickster 33138 wrote:

    Thank you so much Doodah, that really, really touched me!
    I do struggle with the shoe thing so much, and usually end up wearing seasonally inappropriate shoes, either feet baking in the summer, or freezing and soaking in the winter, so I am sooo hoping that this time next year I will be wearing a nice pair of winter boots!
    Yep, same as, can’t get a bath sheet round me, really do have a dream of a perfect bath with candles, expensive bubbles, the lot!
    I just want it all to get started! I always thought I was quite a patient person, turns out I am just like my Mum after all!

    P.S. I have seen the trekky quote from you, and your Joss Whedon quote, am I right to assume you are a bit of a sci-fi fan? x

    YES I AM!! Are you? I’m a total geek. I wrote my dissertation on the works of Joss Whedon – how he always has women in the ‘hero’ role. Buffy is my all time favourite character. I have every single episode on DVD and the extra ones like the musical episode. I even have the music from both Buffy and Angel. As for Star Trek, I have been a fan for 45 years! Love all of them, including the films.

    Oh my life, do I come across as scary now hahaha!? Maybe one day we will attend a convention in our star Trek costumes wearing the lovely long boots, just like my other hero Lt Uhura?

    Star Trek Uhura Costume – Fancy Dress and Party

    Oh my goodness, Vickster, I promise you I’m not a nutter (well…..) but I am now thinking of organising a fancy dress party for my husband’s birthday and guess what I will be wearing?!

    Have a great day – Live long and prosper ๐Ÿ™‚

    Doodah x

    #53312
    Vickster
    Member

    @Lelly 33142 wrote:

    Yes Doodah, she is brave and honest but what she fails to tell you all is how pretty she is and how smart she looks and as for the people in the street who we know can be very cruel, they cannot be nice people as we would never point at someone ugly or take their photo to laugh at later, they are the “freaks”. I have been a bit down lately and she has been so supportive and caring, thank you Vickster xx

    Oh Lelly, thank you so much, I really don’t know what to say! I am so lucky to be sharing this journey with you. thank you so much for your support!

    Lets hope we can get together soon for good news!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Search Forums

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media