Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Heart surgery

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 75 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #54637
    Kimberly
    Participant

    @Lelly 34623 wrote:

    It will be a pain for awhile my lovely, not being allowed to do what you want to do and having to wear that, probably very sexy sternum vest. It will pass and you will get stronger and healthier, I am on Warfarin and have been since 2011, it’s not so bad. You take care and don’t try and push things, we want you well

    Lelly xx

    I’m so pleased to find some one who has wls and on Warfin , when I’ve looked at papers it seems their are not many of us . It’s really reassuring to speak to some one who been on it and has wls .

    #54606
    Lauren
    Keymaster

    That’s the joy of this forum – there will always be someone who has had the same or a very similar experience and is willing to share it 🙂

    Doodah x

    #54638
    Kimberly
    Participant

    I had to go back into hospital for five days as my blood levels ( INR) dropped to 1.3 . I have to be between 2.5 and3.5 to be in to what called the therapeutic range . Too low and I’m at risk of throwing blood clots from my mechanical heart valve , too high and internal bleeding . It went last Monday from 7.1 to 1.3 !!!!!!!
    so admitted and on I V heprin . I kept aying I have a gastric bypass but they said is that they have another lady who had a gastric bypass and on Warfin , but it seems as my blood levels have to be a bit higher and making it more difficult . They kept talking about eating more vitamin K which I do . The nurse specialist and my self checked. The forceval vitamin Px by GP and also recommended by dietitian and it doesn’t contain any vitamin K !!!!!! But the vitamin dodah takes does .so I’m sharing this just in case any one further down the line need Warfin

    #54639
    Kimberly
    Participant

    What so funny is that during the past 7 weeks some medics , nurses look at me when I mention gastric bypass with confused looks . Some have said you don’t need a gastric bypass !!!!! I then have to explain that I’m this small because of wls ( 10 stone loss now) They seem to stuggle with this I wonder if when they think of gastric bypass their automatic thought is pictures of us is pre wls . At the end of the month I’m will be two years . What a journey I’ve had full of lots of exciting things that I have down . Maybe not exciting to every one but the joy of cycling around my local air field . Cycling along the beach prom stopping for a mug of tea . Going to Israel with my husband our first holiday with out children . Then going back again with my daughter for a special mother and daughter bonding holiday . Dancing again at parties . Going to the gym and aqua aroebics . Pilates . . It’s almost that these two years have been preparation for heart surgery . They told me that wls cut down my odds for cardiac surgery . That I’m in a much better place than before . The aqua and Pilates helped as after open heart surgery you are not allowed to use your hand to lift or pull your self up . As I’m tiny this was hard for me I couldn’t hook my toes under the bar like my friend did and lifted him self up , but I crunched / rocked up using my stomach muscle .now I don’t have a flat tummy ( skin ) but I do have strong abdominal . As for the skin ! I’m not bothered I’m alive with a future a saggy tummy is nothing that suck in pants can’t change .
    Just like wls this cardiac surgery has a mental / emotional and physical process. I am having to work hard at focussing on positive , challenging negativity thoughts, . Most of the time I ok but some times I sink into a pity party ( which is ok as long as I don’t spend too much time there ) then I have to pull up my big girl pants and look at the tons of possibilities I will have . Life is for the living , I’m so blessed with wonderful kind loving family and friends . What more could a girl want

    #54607
    Lauren
    Keymaster

    @Kimberly 34713 wrote:

    What so funny is that during the past 7 weeks some medics , nurses look at me when I mention gastric bypass with confused looks . Some have said you don’t need a gastric bypass !!!!! I then have to explain that I’m this small because of wls ( 10 stone loss now) They seem to stuggle with this I wonder if when they think of gastric bypass their automatic thought is pictures of us is pre wls . At the end of the month I’m will be two years . What a journey I’ve had full of lots of exciting things that I have down . Maybe not exciting to every one but the joy of cycling around my local air field . Cycling along the beach prom stopping for a mug of tea . Going to Israel with my husband our first holiday with out children . Then going back again with my daughter for a special mother and daughter bonding holiday . Dancing again at parties . Going to the gym and aqua aroebics . Pilates . . It’s almost that these two years have been preparation for heart surgery . They told me that wls cut down my odds for cardiac surgery . That I’m in a much better place than before . The aqua and Pilates helped as after open heart surgery you are not allowed to use your hand to lift or pull your self up . As I’m tiny this was hard for me I couldn’t hook my toes under the bar like my friend did and lifted him self up , but I crunched / rocked up using my stomach muscle .now I don’t have a flat tummy ( skin ) but I do have strong abdominal . As for the skin ! I’m not bothered I’m alive with a future a saggy tummy is nothing that suck in pants can’t change .
    Just like wls this cardiac surgery has a mental / emotional and physical process. I am having to work hard at focussing on positive , challenging negativity thoughts, . Most of the time I ok but some times I sink into a pity party ( which is ok as long as I don’t spend too much time there ) then I have to pull up my big girl pants and look at the tons of possibilities I will have . Life is for the living , I’m so blessed with wonderful kind loving family and friends . What more could a girl want

    YOU ARE A MARVEL. A force of nature. My little wing man.

    Please take care of yourself Kim. If love could heal, you would be running marathons by now 🙂

    Doodah x

    #54640
    Kimberly
    Participant

    Two years today an amazing surgeon Shaw Somers operated a gastric bypass and repaired my hiatus hernia . We knew my heart was poorly back then . He really has saved my life . I have lost over ten stone gone From a size 28 to a size 12 . With a BMI of 24. ( it was 50) . . Recently I have had open heart surgery , the cardiac surgeon did tell us that losing all that weight had improved my risk . Which given that I bleed and was reopened I’m so grateful to Shaw and the streamline team they really did give me a fighting chance . I’m useless at posting photos , which is a shame as even I struggle to recognise that sad lady of nov 2013

    #54608
    Lauren
    Keymaster

    @Kimberly 34745 wrote:

    Two years today an amazing surgeon Shaw Somers operated a gastric bypass and repaired my hiatus hernia . We knew my heart was poorly back then . He really has saved my life . I have lost over ten stone gone From a size 28 to a size 12 . With a BMI of 24. ( it was 50) . . Recently I have had open heart surgery , the cardiac surgeon did tell us that losing all that weight had improved my risk . Which given that I bleed and was reopened I’m so grateful to Shaw and the streamline team they really did give me a fighting chance . I’m useless at posting photos , which is a shame as even I struggle to recognise that sad lady of nov 2013

    Do you want me to post them for you, Kim?

    Without a doubt, you are one of the most inspirational people I have ever met. You and I had similar reasons for needing wls, not least to save our lives! I’m going to save the ones from facebook that you have posted just in case you want me to put them on here for you. I can’t do it without your permission though 🙂

    Doodah x

    #54641
    Kimberly
    Participant

    Please doodah that would be great . This surgery changes lives , saved my life . I know I wouldn’t have survived the heart surgery if I hadn’t lost ten stone .

    #54609
    Lauren
    Keymaster

    @Kimberly 34747 wrote:

    Please doodah that would be great . This surgery changes lives , saved my life . I know I wouldn’t have survived the heart surgery if I hadn’t lost ten stone .

    Please bear with me Kim as I am trying a new upload method today! Might not get done until tomorrow as I have hospital appt soon 😉

    Doodah x

    #54610
    Lauren
    Keymaster

    Kim Styles Before And After Photos by Smythe59 | Photobucket

    As there were so many photos, I have created an album for you, Kim. The password is:

    streamlineforumphotos

    Hope this works!

    Doodah x

    NB I have tried it and it works but could you let me know if it works for you please? Thank you x

    #54649
    bikerchris
    Participant

    Yes I could access these, what an amazing transformation x

    #54611
    Lauren
    Keymaster

    @bikerchris 34754 wrote:

    Yes I could access these, what an amazing transformation x

    Yay! Aren’t they just brilliant Chris?

    I have to say that your ‘Ta Da’ after pic, along with the one of Kim in front of the Sea of Galilee are my all time favourite ‘after’ photos. They are so animated and positive. The new zest for life simply jumps off of them.

    If any of you would like me to create an album for you, please just email me the pics at:

    sue.smith@streamline-surgical.com

    You can then share them with all your friends and family using a password that I will give to you. Let’s spread the word about how totally amazing life can be after wls!

    Doodah x

    #54650
    bikerchris
    Participant

    Thank you. I rather like my “ta da” pic too. In fact I can’t remember when, if ever, I’ve liked a picture of myself. For me it’s about the memory of that holiday, I was having a lovely time, I was fit and well and with good friends. I’d like to think I’m taking full advantage of the gift of my bypass

    Chris x

    #54612
    Lauren
    Keymaster

    @bikerchris 34758 wrote:

    Thank you. I rather like my “ta da” pic too. In fact I can’t remember when, if ever, I’ve liked a picture of myself. For me it’s about the memory of that holiday, I was having a lovely time, I was fit and well and with good friends. I’d like to think I’m taking full advantage of the gift of my bypass

    Chris x

    I have two friends who are enjoying riding again after losing weight with wls. It might not seem like much to some people but it’s a huge deal to bikers 😉

    Doodah x

    #54657
    Lelly
    Member

    @Kimberly 34627 wrote:

    Lelly
    did you find that your INR level stabilised after surgery . I’m not sure if it’s the gastric bypass, or the Hearst mess they put me on , or because in new to Warfin but it seems all over the place . I also have this massive bruise on my arm from where they tried to take blood two weeks ago which is very slow in fading ? Is that normal . Also was is complicated having surgery whilst on Warfin ?

    Sorry, I haven’t been on here for awhile, been busy as Hubby’s Dad died and loads of things to do. My INR was all over the place and it’s only now that it is stabilising, I go to my local Pharmacist for finger prick testing, so much easier.
    I am waiting for an MRI as the GP had diagnosed me with Labrynthitus but as my hearing and balance became worse I was referred to ENT. If MRI is normal then I have Menieres Disease….great!

    Take care Kim x

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 75 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Search Forums

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media