Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Heart surgery

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 75 total)
  • Author
    Kimberly
    Participant

May be some of you don’t know and if you want you can look back on my journey from sickness to health . When I first went to Shaw Somers in November 12 my asthma had just stared to be out of control , I was unable to walk 200 yards couldn’t go out in the night as this triggered an attack . I remember telling him that I had mild aortic stenosis , this is narrowing of the aortic valve . I wasn’t worried about my heart as I knew about this for 20 years it had never effected me . Any way got funding for wls because of Heath issues sleep apnoea , asthma , high blood pressure , low thyroid , high cholesterol . I had a appointment with the cardiac team and my cardiac echo showed my heart valve was worse . Im so grateful to streamline that when I went for my anaesthetic appointment ,which I failed . They just didn’t leave it and send me away , they wrote and wanted a multi disciples team discussion , with them and the cardiologist . They looked at the whole of me . It was explained what if I had the bypass and then three month later needed open heart surgery !!! That would be so much for my body to cope with and now looking back I can see this . .Because it hard work after. That wls would may be improve most of my health problem but not my heart .( So true I’ve lost asthma , sleep apnoea , high blood pressure. )My family were so worried about me and were planning ow to care for me in the next few years till I died. , my health was declining I was in and out of ED . I saw a cardiac surgeon who recommend wls first . My BMI was 50 . He was honest I appreciate straight talking . That with so much flesh to sew up it would be very dangerous . To this day I don’t know how but their cardiac echo came back not so bad !!!! . With this information I was able to have my bypass on November 22 2013 . The team wanted me under as short time as possible because of my heart . I went down not knowing if I would live or die , but what I wanted is quality of life not quantity . And streamline has given me this to me . I began going to the gym doing aqua aroebics Pilates . I have been on two holidays which were just fantastic . My dream has alway to be healthy and have focused on non scale victories , but I be honest I only ever wanted to reach a healthy bmi of 25 . .
    sorry for going on and not getting to the point , this is helping me process it all . Last Thursday I went for my check up with the cardiologist .for a few months I been getting some symptoms tightness in my chest when I did aqua or just increased my cardiac out put . Dizzy when going up hills . As you all know I’m a retired nurse so I knew I was having symptoms of angina . I was told that my heart valve has now gone into server and I’m being referred to a cardiac surgeon and will probably having open heart surgery jan 2016 . I’m going into this surgery with such better odds than two years ago . I’m so thankful to Mr Somers and the streamline team and you all especially Doodah Teresa . Sharon And Julie . This time next year I be back at the gym may be I might try running !!!!!

Lauren
    Keymaster

@Kimberly 34444 wrote:

May be some of you don’t know and if you want you can look back on my journey from sickness to health . When I first went to Shaw Somers in November 12 my asthma had just stared to be out of control , I was unable to walk 200 yards couldn’t go out in the night as this triggered an attack . I remember telling him that I had mild aortic stenosis , this is narrowing of the aortic valve . I wasn’t worried about my heart as I knew about this for 20 years it had never effected me . Any way got funding for wls because of Heath issues sleep apnoea , asthma , high blood pressure , low thyroid , high cholesterol . I had a appointment with the cardiac team and my cardiac echo showed my heart valve was worse . Im so grateful to streamline that when I went for my anaesthetic appointment ,which I failed . They just didn’t leave it and send me away , they wrote and wanted a multi disciples team discussion , with them and the cardiologist . They looked at the whole of me . It was explained what if I had the bypass and then three month later needed open heart surgery !!! That would be so much for my body to cope with and now looking back I can see this . .Because it hard work after. That wls would may be improve most of my health problem but not my heart .( So true I’ve lost asthma , sleep apnoea , high blood pressure. )My family were so worried about me and were planning ow to care for me in the next few years till I died. , my health was declining I was in and out of ED . I saw a cardiac surgeon who recommend wls first . My BMI was 50 . He was honest I appreciate straight talking . That with so much flesh to sew up it would be very dangerous . To this day I don’t know how but their cardiac echo came back not so bad !!!! . With this information I was able to have my bypass on November 22 2013 . The team wanted me under as short time as possible because of my heart . I went down not knowing if I would live or die , but what I wanted is quality of life not quantity . And streamline has given me this to me . I began going to the gym doing aqua aroebics Pilates . I have been on two holidays which were just fantastic . My dream has alway to be healthy and have focused on non scale victories , but I be honest I only ever wanted to reach a healthy bmi of 25 . .
    sorry for going on and not getting to the point , this is helping me process it all . Last Thursday I went for my check up with the cardiologist .for a few months I been getting some symptoms tightness in my chest when I did aqua or just increased my cardiac out put . Dizzy when going up hills . As you all know I’m a retired nurse so I knew I was having symptoms of angina . I was told that my heart valve has now gone into server and I’m being referred to a cardiac surgeon and will probably having open heart surgery jan 2016 . I’m going into this surgery with such better odds than two years ago . I’m so thankful to Mr Somers and the streamline team and you all especially Doodah Teresa . Sharon And Julie . This time next year I be back at the gym may be I might try running !!!!!

I have to admit to you, Kim, that I am shedding a few tears here. Me – the one who never cries!

It has been my privilege to see you claw your way back to better health. You have worked incredibly hard and have been a total inspiration to everyone. Your courage is staggering. You have overcome so many setbacks yet have remained a constant source of comfort and support for everyone else.

I want you to know that we are all behind you 100%. I know you believe in the power of prayer (as I do) and that they are heard. I have no doubt that you will have the heart surgery, get fit again and continue to go from strength to strength in your journey to better health. AND be an inspiration to us all – AGAIN. You are one tough little cookie and if anyone can do it, it’s you Kim.

Doodah xx

Kimberly
    Participant

I do hope so Doodah , I suppose some might think why is there a post about heart surgery on a wls forum but with out my bypass I wouldn’t be fit and healthy enough , I’m so thankful to streamline for giving me a fighting chance . I’v loved this past 22 months enjoying things that I could only dream about before . And yes I would do it all over again . If your reading this and think should I have surgery , then I would seriously say YES , don’t leave it too long and let life just drift by whilst you look . I think a lot of us have spent too much time looking and not participating too embarrassed , hiding from photos , not going on fun things with our children . Watching other enjoy themselves . As you say life not a dress rehearsal .and I found out that I’m half an inch taller so my BMI is 24.5 yeah .

Lauren
    Keymaster

‘Letting life pass you by’ – how many of us did this for ages and ages? I know I did.

My wls hasn’t improved my asthma or Fibro but I have had 3 more years than was predicted if I hadn’t had my gastric bypass so I am grateful, like you Kim, for every extra day I get.

For me, it’s about quality of life, not quantity. I know you feel the same Kim.

And the extra inch taller….you jammy little thing, you!

Doodah x

bikerchris
    Participant

Do you think your extra height has come from being able to stand up straight? There is a picture I’ve seen, I think on the streamline Facebook page, of a scan of an obese woman’s skeleton. It shows how her knees are sort of splayed sideways with the weight she’s carrying. I know I used to stand like that too. No wonder so many joint problems come with obesity. I wonder if I’m taller now too?

Chris xx

Kimberly
    Participant

No I just lazy and never lol bother measuring my height and always thought I was 5 ft 2 but I’m not im5ft 2 and 1/2 and when I did it using cm it was such a difference in bmi lol

Lauren
    Keymaster

One of my knees is still ‘bowed’ inwards. The knee cap is on the side of my leg almost. My poor skeleton having to carry 15st extra weight all that time. There is bound to be lasting damage. It’s just that we can’t actually see it!

Doodah x

ps I remember that pic, Chris. Frightening isn’t it?

Kimberly
    Participant

Oh Doodah that sound so. Painful x

bikerchris
    Participant

That picture had a big impact on me, it’s one of the things that put me on the path to wls

Lauren
    Keymaster

It is painful Kim, but not as painful as it used to be! Our bodies are incredible. They keep on trying to function for us no matter what we throw at them – too much bad food, alcohol, tobacco etc – yet it just keeps plodding on.

I think we should all learn to love our bodies, no matter what they look like. They will, quite literally, allow us to work them to death!

hark at me being all spiritual at this time of the morning!

Doodah x

Lelly

@Kimberly 34444 wrote:

This must be scary for you pet as it is the unknown but you are now a healthy fit lady, if you had not had your surgery the odds would have been sooo low but now, well they are amazing. You will be “fixed” and the sky will be the limit. I won’t say don’t worry because you will but it will be fine. So pleased that you will be able to do anything, take care

Lelly xx

Lauren
    Keymaster

Kim is one of the kindest people I have ever met. We have all benefited from her wls as she is here with us and able to soothe us with her gentle voice and calm words. Wls is like a pebble tossed into a pond: the benefits just keep coming. The biggest benefit is often felt by those who love us. To be given a second shot at life is almost a miracle. I never take mine for granted and I know our lovely Kim doesn’t either.

Doodah x

Kimberly
    Participant

Thank , I keep telling every one I’m fine I’m going to be even better , but I think emotionally I’m not , the pouch shut up shop . Difficult in eating and I just don’t fancy any thing . Making my self eat a veg Sausage and beans . Not because I want to but because ic got to keep healthy . When I’m stressed I can’t eat !!!!!! I know how weired is that me who could eat emotionally now can’t , it tough , coz I can’t even exercise to help with the anxiety / stress . Reading difficult as struggling to concentrate . Ahh there is only so many bath I can have a day . I’m blessed with great friends who phone me up and take me out for coffee . And you all thank you xx

Lelly

@Kimberly 34487 wrote:

Thank , I keep telling every one I’m fine I’m going to be even better , but I think emotionally I’m not , the pouch shut up shop . Difficult in eating and I just don’t fancy any thing . Making my self eat a veg Sausage and beans . Not because I want to but because ic got to keep healthy . When I’m stressed I can’t eat !!!!!! I know how weired is that me who eat emotionally now can’t , it tough , coz I can’t even exercise to help with the anxiety / stress . Reading difficult as struggling to concentrate . Ahh there inly so many bath I can have a day . I’m blessed with great friends who phone me up and take me out for coffee . And you all thank you xx

Bless you

Lelly xx

Lauren
    Keymaster

You are putting on one heck of a brave face Kim. I know you – it will be to stop your family from worrying about you.

Doodah x

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 75 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media