Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Head Hunger

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Doodah
    Keymaster

Hi guys.

So much is said about head hunger and yet I bet it doesn’t even cover a quarter of what is really happening.

Why do we seek food in times of trouble, celebration, sadness, happiness etc….? What makes US so different from all the people who see food as merely a means of staying alive and healthy? Or even the ones who allow themselves the occasional treat but never take it to the nth degree? Is it because we associate food with comfort (our Mothers feeding us when we cry) or is there a more sinister underlying reason?

I once read that food addiction/eating disorders were the slowest forms of suicide. In many cases that has sadly been proven to be true. But if that were the case with obesity, why do so many of us yearn for the helping hand that wls gives us? We so want to save ourselves that we resort to major surgery and a life of watching what we eat so I’m not sure that we do (if somewhat subliminally) want to ‘end it all’.

I am grateful every single day to my GP, Mr Somers and all his team at Streamline Surgical and my family and friends that I was given a second chance at life. It’s quite possible that I wouldn’t be here now if it were not for them all giving me a life raft in which to paddle back to health and happiness. Head Hunger (HH) is the only enemy I have now. I have maintained my weight for 2.5 years but Old Mr HH still sits in the corner waiting for me to weaken and start listening to his chattering again: ‘You are not good enough, you are not worthy, you are destined to fail…etc’. The person who could invent something to shut him up permanently would be a millionaire!

Anyway, I just wanted to open up this discussion to find out what the rest of you do when HH rears it’s ugly head and tries to undermine our new found health, freedom and happiness.

Ganny
    Participant

Hi,
    I know all about Mr HH, been a comfort eater all my life and it is so hard to get out of the habiy of turning to food for comfort, but I really trying to get my head around it and if the situation arises that I feel I could really murder for a bar of chocolate or a cream cake or what ever else I want at the the time I try and remove myself from the situation and find something to occupy me like a nice walk, drive in the car, exercise,reading or just visiting a friend to have a chat with anything until Mr HH retreats back into his corner. I think he is something we are just going to have to live with for the rest of our lives but I am determine he is not going to rule my life again, I have not gone through all I have gone through for him to gain control. I have had the backing and help from my wonderful GP, the lovely Mr John and my family and friends and to be given the chance to live to see my beloved grandchildren grow and play with them and to at last after all the years that I have been a “large” lady have the chance to be “normal”, so Mr HH is NOT going th be playing a big part of my life, as my old dad would have said ” Elaine mind over matter” and that is what I am going to do, even if I have to fight a war with Mr HH he is not going to win.
    Elaine xx

midge

Mr hh s a real enemy of mine he has plagued me for years and feel sure he always will, b-*^#@d …….but I’m willing to fight him, I have downloaded a food diary app and find this really helps coz I put everything down and it does make me stop and think.
    Midge xx

hides

Well Mr HH, has been my friend since i was about 10 years old, when no one else was around, he’d be there for me. Sometimes he made me very happy and other times very sad…….. But you could always rely on him showing up (unlike people).

I’m now better able to deal with him…… Although, he does still win every now and again.

4 months in and 3 stone lighter…….. Yeah. X

Heidi. X

hazelann70

HH comes to me in times of bordome generally. I had a really horrendous day yesterday when I found that Housing Benefit seem to think they have overpaid me by £2500 and I have to pay it all back (I am going to appeal as it appears they have calculated things incorrectly). However, I could have turned to food or a fag but didn’t – until much later in the evening and I remembered or heard the remainder of a tub of Celebrations that had been lurking in a cupboard since I don’t know when. When that came into my head it was as if the devil had been let out. I just couldn’t stop myself and I dare not think about how many I ate. Even the mars which I really don’t like that much. It was terrible. I just prayed I would land up shitting it out but alas not and no effects today either. Thankfully they are all gone now and today has been a better day now I have spoken to Mr Tax man. Whoever said having your own business and being honest with the system is a good idea is a total idiot!! It’s because I’ve been so honest that I am now in the mire.

So, I hope this evening will be a better one for me and bordome doesn’t take over again. I’m so good in the day but come bed time/tv time it all goes tits up. I just wish my body would react to food and put me back in my place. Perhaps I should invest in another bag of sugar free humbugs lol

Deifersmum
    Participant

Hi All

I too find boredom is my downfall, and a friend to Mr HH, I find trying to keep myself occupied helpful, and exhausting… I’m now on book three of the Harry Potter series (again for the umpteenth time !!!) , even knitted a scarf a couple of weeks ago and we’re just finished decorating my son’s bedroom in time for him coming home on R&R from Afganistan but it all comes to an end eventually and even I have to stop sometimes but I do find my own body does helps, although I can’t say I’ve experienced any huge dumping syndrome I do start to feel a bit weird, you know light headed and out of bodyish, if that makes sense to anyone which I find helps to deter my pigging out, which I am proud to say I haven’t done since before my milk diet back in March 2011, gosh nearly a year….

I have come to realise that I can eat anything in moderation and more often than not one is definitely enough, it’s taken 52 years to learn that but boy is it a lesson worth learning at last. I know I’m going to be watching what I eat for the rest of my life but I’m controlling it now not the other way round.

Good look to anyone out there just starting out, it’s great on the other side.

Lots of love
    Lesley
    xxxx

Doodah
    Keymaster

Wow, Old Mr HH is certainly a ‘friend’ to so many isn’t he? It’s like reading something I would have written myself reading your posts!

I have taken up knitting too. It’s 2nd grade stuff – scarves and headbands – but it ties Mr HH’s hands in knots mwahahaha!! I also think this bitterly cold weather doesn’t help. We must surely need more food in the cold so maybe that’s why HH takes his chance at rearing his ugly-ass head at this time of year? In the summer months, we can sit in the garden, go to the park/beach/pub and not need so much food to keep warm. All I know is, the battle with Mr HH is going to be a life-long one. I know I won’t always win every battle, but I’m damned sure I won’t let him win the war. I’ve even invented a persona for him. If any of you are Buffy The Vampire Slayer fans (I’m a HUGE fan) you might remember ‘The Gentleman’. They are terrible, sinister men who float around Sunnydale in silence just grinning. They steal people’s voices. That to me is Mr HH – so pleased with himself for stealing my voice and ruining my life. Well, not anymore Mister!!!

Sorry for the ridiculous analogy but that’s how I deal with things lol! It has been working so far so I’m not going to change it.

Doodah x

johncg

Well well well, Mr H H

I met him a few times on my journey and just when he thought he had won, I vomited him down the toilet…. Eat to much your on your knees…. On several occasions I have fancied some choc choc and have looked In my wardrobe at the smaller shirts and settled for a coffee.

It is hard sometimes and the amazing mr slater never said it would be easy or a magic wand we have to play our part be strong, stay focused, and kick the arse out of me hh

Love John xxxx

Deifersmum
    Participant

Here, here, John, you and Doodah have hit that particular nail very firmly on the head, I just wish I had Spike next to me to help in the fight, (Doodah will know !!! big Buffy fan too !)….

In the great words of The Godfather, ‘lets take it to the matresses….”

Take care

Lots of love
    Lesley
    xxx

Doodah
    Keymaster

@Deifersmum 21820 wrote:

Here, here, John, you and Doodah have hit that particular nail very firmly on the head, I just wish I had Spike next to me to help in the fight, (Doodah will know !!! big Buffy fan too !)….

In the great words of The Godfather, ‘lets take it to the matresses….”

Take care

Lots of love
    Lesley
    xxx

Spike, Season 7….sigh xx

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media