Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Having my 1st Fill tomorrow!

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    RHD

Hello,

I had my op for the band before Xmas and am now going for my fill tomorrow! Cant wait to get started with working with the band. I know I havent done too well, in terms of weight loss but I have changed a few of my bad habits. I found the evening binging has slowed down as I know if I eat too fast food will just get stuck. This really is a good thing as it was destroying my life to constantly have the urge to eat and eat. I am hoping the fill tomorrow will help with controlling my eating habbits and I know I need to make sensible food choices. Even though I have not lost anything, I do feel in a little bit more in control!!

I have read that for the band fill we must be not have eaten 4 hours before! So, I thank this site as on my letter it did not mention anything.

Love to hear from anyone else that has had the band and who would like to share my journey with me??

Doodah
    Keymaster

Hi there. How did you get on? Sorry no band experts managed to answer your questions

I always remembered to be thankful for not putting any weight on as it was ‘normal’ for me to just keep gaining before surgery. I’m sure that once you get that fill, the weight will start to drop off steadily. It’s a great deal slower with a band (I had a bypass 3 1/2 years ago) but we all get there in the end if we stick to the ‘rules’ and are kind to ourselves if we don’t always get it right first time.

Would love to hear all about your journey (or crusade as Chris Webber put it!)

Doodah x

hides

Hello rhd
    How did your fill go ? How much did you have put in

I have never heard about not eating before fill, so thanks for that info. My next fill is in 2weeks.

Heidi.

RHD

Hi All, so sorry have not posted earlier. Well, I lost half a stone.. so not bad considering Xmas was filled with great treats!! I had 1ml place in and have a 10ml band… but Chris said it doesnt really matter about band size, its all about working with the band. So he reminded me (and my hubby reminds me quite often) that I need to stick to three meals a day which should last about 20 min. So even with a good weight loss -I thought I had put on! silly me! I was so scared to jump on the scales that guessed I must have put on loads of weight – so sorry for misleading everyone!

I have started to now time my eatings, using my mobile phone stopwatch and ensuring that I stick to three great meals a day. I have a fruit snack if I feel hungry inbetween my meals. I have just started so am hoping in time I can change my habits.

So looking forward now to my journey of losing weight… its about time something good happened to me!

Heidi – Chris did not seem too bothered either way but I read it in a post – so I just stuck to soup on the day of the fill and everything went very smoothly. Who is your consultant?

The fill is quite strange as you need to put your feet up for a wee bit…. I laugh when I am nervous, so could not stop giggerling. I am going to ensure I get good at leg raises for next time I go :0).

RHD

I would like to add that having the band as stopped me binging on food… which was really my biggest problem as now I know I can’t eat quickly that I avoid this horriable habit. Not going to speak too soon *touch wood* but am hoping I never binge again!

Pauline

Hi RHD,
    I am following closely in your foot steps ! had my band with mr Pring on 26/01/12…. so early days for me, on fluids/slush at the mo, mashed potato is already getting abit tedious !, I must admit my appetite is reduced and i am sticking to ramikin size portions, its difficult cooking for the family, the smells drive me mad….. just been to asda and felt rather peculier and felt that i was going to faint !, but I took an apperient last night and had a sudden urge ( sorry to be graphic ! ) but managed to make it home thank goodness ! also bought a kenwood hand blender today so will start making some nutritious soups, be good to hear about what foods you are eating etc and have you noticed a difference with restriction after your 1ml fill ?

take care
    Pauline x

RHD

Hi Pauline, So glad to meet another person in the same boat as me! I havent changed a lot with the foods I am eating but have noticed that some go down much easier than others. Another thing is that sometimes, only sometimes… if I have a toast sometimes I can eat it without any problems and other times it gets stuck. I am starting to love the band just a little at the moment as when food gets stuck I know its because I am just “stuffing my face”, not being conscious of what I am eating.

As I said, it has for the moment stopped my food binging in the evenings! which is great news, as this was my most problem area.

It is quite stressing when the food gets stuck…. I find it very painful, it happened more after I started to eat solid foods after my op… was on the menu plan for the four weeks they suggested after the op, so it was plain sailing but now I am learning from the band. Sometimes, like say an apple, I can only take two bites and then cant eat anymore as I know it will get stuck.

I noticed that all the good stuff, really does go down really well and I dont seem to have a problem – only when I have eaten too quickly or if I have not stopped when I should have. I try to eat everything the family is eating but try to be slow and have smaller portions.

I can no longer eat whilst walking, as the food gets stuck and I had to pop into a sports gym for the toilet! So wont be doing that again!

Stick to the four week plan, as you dont want your band to slip as it takes time for it to heal after the op…. I read that its best during this time not to vomit too much, so try and stick to a sloppy meal as much as possible. My appetite did return and you will notice this and then you will be ready for your next band fill. I do not have the restrict that I want but I dont want to rush things. I am going in another 4 weeks for another band fill and just want to adjust slowly… I will get to my sweet point, its just a matter of time. For me, I am in it for the long haul… the weight will come off.

I have started to time my eating and trying to keep it to 20 mins and am going to see how it works for me. Will let you know how I get on.

All the best
    Linda

RHD

Just to add fruit is harder to eat with its skin on and I make a funny burping sound once I eat apple!

Pauline

thanks for your advice and reply Linda, it certainly helps to be in contact with someone going through the same thing as you ! your right about the wind ! I sound like a volcano about to erupt ! its a strange rumbling/gurgling noise that seems to come from deep within ! ha haa, but must admit im amazed that i hardly have any pain/nausea at all considering i,m only 5 days post op, where do you go for your fills ?
    Pauline

Nettie

Hi Pauline,
    So so sorry I don’t get on here much these days but wanted to check on your progress and here you are 5 days post op, stick with it, be gentle to yourself during your recovery, I have just had another fill today as I had stopped losing weight and hadn’t had a fill for about 10 weeks, I’ve lost 3 stone now, it’s slow but thats my fault for not having a fill since October. I will try and log on more frequently now I know you have had your op.

Take care xx

Pauline

so good to hear from you Nettie ! I was wondering where you were ….well done on your 3 stone so far though … I realise alot of willpower is needed, I attended Kays support group and was asking for you , will you be able to make the next one ? it would be great to meet you in person
    take care
    Pauline x

RHD

Hi Pauline,
    I go to Guildford for my fills.

Hi Nettie,

So impressed with your weightloss. Can I ask was the weightloss from last year Oct to present? …. I have only had one fill so far but am going in for another in 4 weeks.

All the best

RHD

I have funny burping noises coming from my stomach area like air pockets, when I am eating. It always happens when I eat an apple or make porriage with water! Is it because I am having liquid and food together? I had a burping incident yesterday and someone heard a laughed… I was sooooo embarrassed. Hope I can get it under control.

Doodah
    Keymaster

Hi RHD. Funny noises when you eat or drink is just par for the course post surgery. I just politely apologise and sometimes in advance! If you tell someone you have had gastric surgery (you don’t have to mention anything else if you do not wish to) i find they are very understanding. I usually get by with humour saying that the ‘orchestra is tuning up’ 😀 If you are plagued by wind, peppermint tea helps.

Doodah x

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media