Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Having a Gastric Sleeve, anyone else?

Home » Topics » Surgical Journey » Other Bariatric Surgeries and Plastic Surgery » Having a Gastric Sleeve, anyone else?

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Hi, on 21st May I am having my Gastric Sleeve surgery by Shaw Somers and I’m nervous but excited. Anyone else had this surgery? I’ve noticed it’s not offered that much by Streamline Surgical but after researching all the options I have asked for this surgery in particular. I do hope they have sufficient experience in this procedure as stuff can go wrong but I have every confidence in Mr Somers.

It would be good to find others who are having or have had the Sleeve though? Lots of people in the US are choosing this over the Bypass and the Band now so I hope I’ve made the right choice.
    Thanks.

Lauren
    Keymaster

@triedeverything 28150 wrote:

Hi, on 21st May I am having my Gastric Sleeve surgery by Shaw Somers and I’m nervous but excited. Anyone else had this surgery? I’ve noticed it’s not offered that much by Streamline Surgical but after researching all the options I have asked for this surgery in particular. I do hope they have sufficient experience in this procedure as stuff can go wrong but I have every confidence in Mr Somers.

It would be good to find others who are having or have had the Sleeve though? Lots of people in the US are choosing this over the Bypass and the Band now so I hope I’ve made the right choice.
    Thanks.

Hi there and welcome to our friendly forum.

So excited for you – your op date will come round SO quickly.

Shaw Somers is a magnificent surgeon (he did my bypass almost five years ago) so you can rest assured that you are in the very safest of hands. May I ask why you chose the sleeve? It’s true not many people on here have had it but there are a few. Trouble is, they are probably too busy leading their new healthier and fitter life to come along and tell you about it!I personally know people who have had it done. One of my friends has lost over 25st!!!

Please keep in touch and let us know how it goes as it will be really interesting for anyone else considering the same surgery.

Doodah x

Thank you so much Doodah! Wow 25st!! That’s amazing! Well I did quite a lot of research about the different WLS and I was originally thinking of the Lapband, but after looking into the failure rates and the constant need for medical appointments ongoing, I decided it wasn’t for me. I wasn’t quite ready to have the Bypass and malabsorption and dumping worried me. Also I’m vegetarian and Mr Somers agreed that the Sleeve would be the better option in light of my dietary requirements etc. I think I’ve made the right choice but I can’t deny I’m worried about the drastic nature of removing 85% of my stomach. The upside I’m hoping is the much smaller portions (I’m a bit of a carb addict) and the reduction in hunger.

I’m excited about the changes due to come but hoping I can make all the necessary adjustments, like not drinking with my meals etc as that is going to be a challenge.

I hope I can hear from others who have had the Sleeve surgery and thank you for the warm welcome.

Lauren
    Keymaster

I’m a veggie and the bypass has worked wonders for me! I too was a carb addict – not a volume eater. If you feel confident that you have made the right decision and Mr Somers agrees, then go with it. It’s SO exciting isn’t it?!

Doodah x

Yes it really is!? How long did it take you to lose the weight can I ask?

Lauren
    Keymaster

You sure can!

I lost the first 10st in ten months then it took about just over six months to lose the other 5. I had a couple of little plateaux whilst my body took a rest from all the hard work! I’m not super skinny (size 12-14 depending which shop and what area of my body lol) and I am very glad about that fact. I’m middle-aged so I think a few extra inches/pounds is a better thing (keeps wrinkles at bay too) but I know I could be smaller if I wanted to. I don’t.

Hope that is helpful 🙂

Doodah x

Sure I am too.. 46 yrs of age, will turn 47 3 days post-op! Your weightloss is absolutely phenomenal, well done, it must be like a whole new life for you! I’m not expecting everything to ping back into place so I think I’m being pretty realistic, reckon a Tummy Tuck I had a few years ago (last time I lost weight) might still hold good but my upper abs will probably be rubbish. Legs and arms will need some serious toning but might not be enough due to my constant weight yo-yo’s over the years. Well let’s hope this is the last time I ever do this to myself!

I probably should say that I’ve got around 8 stone to lose and have a BMI of 42, I’m 5’5. Here’s hoping I can do that it really would change my life.

Lauren
    Keymaster

My legs, arms, boobs and bum have, well how do I put this politely, seen much much better days haha! I’m 54 soon so the legs and bum are not a problem at all as it would be a bit ‘mutton’ to have them on show really wouldn’t it? So, my next phase of surgery (if it goes ahead) is arms and boobs.

My BMI was 64 as I’m a shortie (5′ 3″) so you are miles ahead of me already. I’m really looking forward to hearing all about your journey 😉

Doodah x

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media