Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

has anyone been referred to st georges in tooting?

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    cherrybuxom

Hi Guys,

I haven’t posted in a while but have been reading ur amazing posts and I am really at my lowest ebb now. I just seem to be chasing everyone around and getting little or no information about the procedure, where I am who does what and when. I have been pestering my gp and the bariatric dept. I went to my doctors in January 2010 and my GP referred me to st georges ( for which I was greatful) however in March they stated they had been trying to contact me but as I had not respomded they would take it that i no longer wanted the surgery:Cry::shocked: i rang them back immediately then they booked me on for a seminar.

While the information was interesting what I wanted to know was when was I gonna start seeing the people that really mattered. And then the trail went dead. However me understanding that the wheels in the nhs turn slow I knew I had to take a proactive approach and not leave things down to them as I was certain that my paperwork would get lost or end up in some deep dark crevice never to see the light of day again.

Well after numerous calls ( their phone never being answered but always engaged) i finally managed to speak to the woman who gave me as much info as my next door neighbours cat. I had to request the psychiatric assessment form to complete three times, then that was it. In August I had enough and went to my GP and spoke to her about my looooooong wait. My GP wrting them prompted st georges to send my first appointment to see the dietician and the bariatric surgeon, wait for it……. in feb 2011.

Ok it was some movement however a friend that I told about the surgery saw her gp in september and got her appointment in nov 2010 with University college london hospital and claims that she has been told that she will have her op if not by christmas she will have it in january.

That news has pee’d me right off. And I was checking to see if all was in place and, so I called the PCT and low and behold, my GP has not even applied for funding:scared:

I just really have had enough. What is getting me down is this constant dieting loosing a bit then putting i on I am starting to really get depressed

petal

Really sorry that you are having such problems. Don’t give up! By phoning the PCT you found out that your GP has not applied for funding, could you now contact your GP and ask him to apply for funding and ask what the timescale is for him doing this. I am sure you will get there, its so difficult dealing with beaurocracy. Big hugs to you xxxxx

Brains

Hi Cherry
    Sorry to hear of your issues. Some GP do not even understand the criteria and funding applications. Ask your PCT to send you a copy or email you one. Then you could see what is needed etc. Make an appt with GP and take them the form if you have to. But make appt with your GP not a locum GP. Where do you live – which PCT?

cherrybuxom

Thanks Petal and Brains for responding your words of encouragement and support have been helpful, I am just having a bad day today as my first appointments seem so far away. I am with Croydon PCT and have asked for the funding crieria and it seems like they have reviewed it so it is no longer the bog standard NICE guidelines, patients now need to have a BMI of 50 with no co morbidities and 35 with significant obesity related illnesses. It just seems so unfair

sammyturner

i originally went to my doctor after 2 yrs of trying to find the courage in april 2009 and was referred to st georges tooting i went for the group information meeting july 13th 2009 and was told u wouldnt get to the meeting if didnt have funding (will now ring pct to check this) then didnt hear anything till 17th november i recieved my 3 appointments but they were cancelled so many time by the hospital i finally had my appointments in june 2010 august 2010 and september 2010 i was told on my last app that all my info would go to a review team the following week and then i would go on waiting list asap and would recieve leter to let me know how things went this was 5 weeks ago and still not recieved letter despite many calls over the last 19 months its a really slo process at this hospital and i have seen many others get through at different hospitals much faster i hope things move quicker for u i hope this helps

cherrybuxom

Hi Sammy.

I am sorry to hear your struggles with this hospital as well. I share your frustration as when people decide to go for surgery this is a really major decision that is not taken lightly. I believe St Georges had worked at improving the process but as I have advised them this is not helping me as they dont keep you informed and when you call up nobody ever seems to be able to help. I know I have been only on my quest for surgery since January however my desparation is at an all time high as I have been on lighter life 2 years ago lost 7 stone however as expected the weight has began to creep back on. I have put on 2 stone and i am fighting to keep the rest at bay but I am finding I am loosing the battle as eating practically nothing when you have an enormous appetite does not work. What I am scared of is that I am coming so close to giving up the fight and then sitting back and letting my weight spiral back to almost 24 stone and beyond.
    So I have been referred to UCLH now and within a week my case went to the MDT they accepted me and offered me an appointment to see the dietician and the surgeon for December. I was over the moon however I managed to get a cancellation and I am now being seen in two weeks. This is fantastic. The nurse has advised me that if all goes well and I dont have any issues that require investigation or would be problematic for surgery I could have surgery 6-8 weeks after my appointment.
    I am not sure where you are in the process but perhaps contact UCLH and your GP and see if you can be referred. I weighed up how long I was waiting with St Goeorges and that I would probabaly have my op in August with them I decided that I could not wait that long. I just hope that it all goes according to plan. Please keep in touch and let me know how things go with you.

sammyturner

have ust recieved my letter confirming im on the waiting list said i will have surgery sometime inside the nex 16 weeks yay x

Ms Ellie

@cherrybuxom 9962 wrote:

Hi Sammy.

I am sorry to hear your struggles with this hospital as well. I share your frustration as when people decide to go for surgery this is a really major decision that is not taken lightly. I believe St Georges had worked at improving the process but as I have advised them this is not helping me as they dont keep you informed and when you call up nobody ever seems to be able to help. I know I have been only on my quest for surgery since January however my desparation is at an all time high as I have been on lighter life 2 years ago lost 7 stone however as expected the weight has began to creep back on. I have put on 2 stone and i am fighting to keep the rest at bay but I am finding I am loosing the battle as eating practically nothing when you have an enormous appetite does not work. What I am scared of is that I am coming so close to giving up the fight and then sitting back and letting my weight spiral back to almost 24 stone and beyond.
    So I have been referred to UCLH now and within a week my case went to the MDT they accepted me and offered me an appointment to see the dietician and the surgeon for December. I was over the moon however I managed to get a cancellation and I am now being seen in two weeks. This is fantastic. The nurse has advised me that if all goes well and I dont have any issues that require investigation or would be problematic for surgery I could have surgery 6-8 weeks after my appointment.
    I am not sure where you are in the process but perhaps contact UCLH and your GP and see if you can be referred. I weighed up how long I was waiting with St Goeorges and that I would probabaly have my op in August with them I decided that I could not wait that long. I just hope that it all goes according to plan. Please keep in touch and let me know how things go with you.

Excellent results there huni how are things now??????

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media