Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Hair thinning

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    jansus28

I all I am now 13 weeks I thought 16!!!! Post op and my hair has be thinning! I have now had no hair plated and extensions put in! Do I need more protein?

hypnothink

I was loosing loads, increased protein, still struggling to get 60g per day, but when I saw Shaw he said take high dose Vit D, I was also very tired, but feeling much better now.

Paul-H
    Participant

Hi

Hair loss at about 12 weeks is quite normal, I started loosing loads almost exactly 12 weeks and it had just about stopped by 18 weeks, and not because by then I was bald either. :rockon:

Paul

natalieyoung

What supplements can you take for hair loss? I am worried about it

Paul-H
    Participant

Hi

I didn’t take anything it just stopped on its own. Everything I read on the subject also said it will just stop almost as soon as it started, its just your body adjusting to your new feeding regime, as soon as it sorts its self out the hair loss normally stops, and everything said 4 to 8 weeks. Don’t panic I am sure you will be fine in a few weeks. Just make sure you are taking a good quality multivitamin and it will soon return to normal.

Paul

Lauren
    Keymaster

Paul is right. It will sort itself out when you are back to eating normally.

The body ‘chucks out’ anything it deems unnecessary after wls as it fights to keep all your organs working properly. Unfortunately, hair is one of the things it chooses. My nails went to rack and ruin too. Although band patients don’t need to take supplements for life like us bypassers, it might be worth taking them for a few months post op.

I was lucky that I have enough hair for two people anyway but I still lost some. I started only washing my hair once a week and not using stying irons as often (my beloved GHDs!!) Also, I now occasionally wash my hair and just leave it to dry naturally then don’t do anything other than brush it for a week. Just to give it a rest.

Almost everyone starts noticing their hair thickening again after 6 months. But to be honest, I was way too impressed by my shrinking waistline to be that bothered about my hair being a little thinner!

Doodah x

Ganny
    Participant

Hi,
    Hair loss as Doodah says is quite normal after WLS. I was lucky that I had really thick hair to start with but I did lose a lot, the only one that noticed was my hairdresser but she cut and styled my hair that know one else did and again she noticed when it started to grow back again. Now at 20 months post bypass it is nearly back to where it was and I am having to have it thinned out each time I go to the hairdressers. Don’t panic it will come back and the way I looked at it I would rather have my hair fall out than be fat and unhealthy especially when I knew it would grow back again.
    Elaine xx

Lauren
    Keymaster

Great post. Thanks Ganny 😉

Doodah x

jansus28

Thank you all for the support! I will up my protein and also not. Worry! I have got the extensions in for three months so it should be ok after that I hope!! Xxxxxxxx

katy

Hello

I am 8 months post bypass and my hair was falling out at a rate of knots! I had it cut shorter and stopped washing it every day. I also tried to reduce the use of heat styling things….I too am a GHD addict! I started using a protein spray by paul Mitchell called strength. It’s about £16 a bottle but it lasts for months so works out fairly inexpensive. I don’t know if it genuinely works but my hair is now in lovely condition so I have carried on using it even though the hair loss has stopped. It will be fine and like everyone said, hair loss is definitely the lesser of two evils
    Katy x

Lauren
    Keymaster

I have a love/hate relationship with my GHDs. I love them because I know they make my hair look glossy and straight but I hate them for how they ravage my (bleached) hair! My hair is naturally really curly and course (thanks Irish Mum – not) so I loathe leaving it but I have grown it so that it’s easy to just pile up in a top knot.

I considered having a Brazilian Blow Dry which is a permanant straightening process. However, it was pointed out to me that it costs £150 and only lasts 3-4 months! That and they use formaldehyde!! Not a good idea if you are asthmatic.

Thanks for the tip about the Paul Mitchell product Katy;-)

Doodah x

jansus28

Thanks to both of you! I will try the Paul strength when I get these extensions out of my hair! Going to have my bloods done next week so we will see if all is ok with the vitamins! Thanks again!

Lauren
    Keymaster

Will this be your first blood test post surgery Jan? It’s really important to get them done regularly, even with a band.

Doodah x

jansus28

Yes I was not told when to get them done!!! So it’s 14 weeks now! I am nurse! No good at all these when its me!!

Floyd

Hi there

When should we get bloods done? Also, when do we go back to Harrow, I went to have my 2 and 6 week check and wondered if there will be any more… I should dig out my streamline handbook to check what I am doing.

Floyd

PS Great photos Jansus, well done you.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media