Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Hair loss after weight loss surgery

Home » Topics » Surgical Journey » Health & Exercise » Hair loss after weight loss surgery

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Lauren
    Keymaster

Hi everyone

I saw this on Facebook earlier and thought it might be good to share.

It was posted by a very dear friend of mine who is extremely knowledgable about all things wls related.

Hope you find it useful.

Journey Bariatric Hair Balance Caps

Doodah x

bikerchris
    Participant

There is no doubt that my hair loss was a worry after surgery. Everywhere I went I left piles of it behind, in my bed and in the shower particularly. However it does slow down, whilst I think I lose a little more than I did before the op, it isn’t noticeable. Although I’m fortunate that my hair was thick to start with.

Chris x

Lauren
    Keymaster

I have really thick, curly hair so a little hair loss for me wasn’t even noticeable, but I am in the minority. I can fully understand how awful it must be if you feel like you are losing lots of hair for ages. No matter how many times it is said that it will eventually grow back.

Anyway, to any newbies out there, this might be worth a try.

Doodah x

Kimberly
    Participant

I have to say I was very lucky and never noticed any problems with my hair , but I was expecting it especially as my thyroid low it is strange how it effects some of us but not every one

Lauren
    Keymaster

It’s really strange, Kim. Some people hardly lose any, yet others are extremely upset by the amount they lose.

A few of my wls friends saw it as an opportunity to try something totally different with their hair. They cut it off short and were really surprised that they loved the new style. I had mine cut short into a chin length bob and I loved it. I only keep my hair longer now as it keeps me warm haha!

Doodah x

treeza

Thank you Doodah x I did lose a fair bit of hair but it’s settled now but I’m lucky to have loads of it so I was the only one who really noticed. Oh my hairdresser noticed too & she says it’s much thicker now. I still lose every now & then but have realised it’s usually when I’m not taking enough protein in!!

Kimberly
    Participant

That’s really interesting Teresa’s , that it can still get a bit thin it so important to keep protein level up .

Lauren
    Keymaster

@treeza 34441 wrote:

Thank you Doodah x I did lose a fair bit of hair but it’s settled now but I’m lucky to have loads of it so I was the only one who really noticed. Oh my hairdresser noticed too & she says it’s much thicker now. I still lose every now & then but have realised it’s usually when I’m not taking enough protein in!!

Protein levels are so important aren’t they? I keep my little vegetarian cocktail sausages in a tub in the fridge and pop one in my mouth throughout the day. They are low in fat, carbs and salt so I know they aren’t doing me any harm. They keep hunger at bay and I know I have had enough protein, even if I don’t fancy any with my evening meal. I do the same with nuts but try not to eat too many as they can be high in fat.

It’s so interesting to see how we all vary at the different stages. i learn something new every day 🙂

Doodah x

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media