Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Hair loss…

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    nuttygirl

I had my bypass back in June and was warned that hair loss might occur after 3-4 months. Well for the last week or so I’ve noticed my hair is really starting to fall out and I could do with some advice please!!

I’ve read that the main thing to do is to eat lots of protein rich food. I always try and do this; I enjoy low fat cheese, chicken, minced beef, tuna & cod. But I don’t like yogurts anymore since losing my sweet tooth. Are protein shakes a good idea? Some say not to take them but right now I’m really tempted.

Finally, will this go on for long? I can see myself being bald if it carries on much longer. 😉

Thank you!

I had my bypass in july this year and I have also noticed that I am also losing my hair 🙁 so any advoce you guys could give me and nutty girl would be fantastic…. big hugs nuttygirl xxxx

treeza

Me too I had my bypass in July! I don’t like washing or brushing my hair (I do by the way) as it comes out loads!!! I’ve read it does stop though. The body is using all the nutrients for essentials & hair & nails are seen as a non essential! Thankfully I have a mop of hair so not noticeable yet! Advice gladly relieved to limit the lose would be gratefully received! Thank you in advance xxx

@”nuttygirl”]I had my bypass back in June and was warned that hair loss might occur after 3-4 months. Well for the last week or so I’ve noticed my hair is really starting to fall out and I could do with some advice please!! I’ve read that the main thing to do is to eat lots of protein rich food. I always try and do this I enjoy low fat cheese, chicken, minced beef, tuna & cod. But I don’t like yogurts anymore since losing my sweet tooth. Are protein shakes a good idea? Some say not to take them but right now I’m really tempted. Finally, will this go on for long? I can see myself being bald if it carries on much longer. 😉 Thank you![/QUOTE wrote:

Hi nutty girl

I have a friend who had the bypass approx 3 years ago who also suffered hair loss but too put your mind at rest she never lost all her hair it just felt thinner for about a year or so….it could be worth investing in some caffine shampoo…and she deffo would advise against anything like slimfast etc for your protein for fear of dumping….would be best to keep up with your vitamins and high protein foods….but remember to be kind to yourself this is a journey to your new life and the hair loss is only short term and will regain its texture in time….good luck Hun x

Paul-H
    Participant

Hi

Like many others mine also started to fall out at months 3 to 4, don’t panic its all quite normal, your body has had quite a shock with the drastic reduction in your food intake and is keeping everything for the important bits like your heart. Its doesn’t last long and will soon re-grow and you wont loose it all, although it will look like it every time you wash it. Just make sure you eat a high protein diet but don’t bother with protein shakes they are not worth the extra cost.

The interesting thing with mine when it grew back is that its come back all curly when I had dead straight hair before. Very odd.

Paul

nuttygirl

Thanks for all your replies. 🙂

I will look into buying some caffeine shampoo. I have some leave in protein conditioner and gave myself a real shock earlier when I used it – I put some in my hands, rubbed them together and then massaged it into my hair. When I looked at my hands after they were full of hair, they were like Oddbodd’s out of Carry On Screaming, lol.

Paul-H
    Participant

You know what they say about hairy palms don’t you 🙂

Paul

nuttygirl

Don’t rub conditioner into your hair when it’s dropping out?!

Haha! Your reply did make me laugh, thanks! 😀

Lauren
    Keymaster

Hair, nails and to some extent, teeth, suffer after wls as your body concentrates on sending all the nutrients to your organs after a trauma – which is what a major surgery is really!

It will grow back. I’ve heard others say that their hair grew back curly Paul. Wish my mop of unruly curls had grown back straight! Would save me a fortune n straightening irons, gels and sprays haha!

When our Lovely Stacey brova is back from her holiday, I will ask her about the shampoo she used and recommends 😉

Doodah x

Deifersmum
    Participant

Hi everyone, haven’t been on the site for what feels like ages and came across my favourite subject, hair. I had my bypass on 21st March 2011, it was a Tuesday, and my hair started falling out shortly after. Not in great clumps but enough to thin it down drastically. Now I don’t know how attached to your hair you are but I couldn’t stand it so I had it cut really short, what they call a pixieish look and it seemed to slow it falling out, at least it wasn’t as obviouse and eventually it stopped falling out and it’s now almost shoulder length and it’s come back even thicker and slightly curlier than before. But that was my solution and it is drastic, I just got sooooo fed up having to unblock the plug hole every day….. lol. I did change my shampoo but nothing seemed to work for me, that’s not to say it won’t for you so good look and keep up the good work it’s so worth it.

Love
    Lesley
    xxxx

Lauren
    Keymaster

@Deifersmum 29634 wrote:

Hi everyone, haven’t been on the site for what feels like ages and came across my favourite subject, hair. I had my bypass on 21st March 2011, it was a Tuesday, and my hair started falling out shortly after. Not in great clumps but enough to thin it down drastically. Now I don’t know how attached to your hair you are but I couldn’t stand it so I had it cut really short, what they call a pixieish look and it seemed to slow it falling out, at least it wasn’t as obviouse and eventually it stopped falling out and it’s now almost shoulder length and it’s come back even thicker and slightly curlier than before. But that was my solution and it is drastic, I just got sooooo fed up having to unblock the plug hole every day….. lol. I did change my shampoo but nothing seemed to work for me, that’s not to say it won’t for you so good look and keep up the good work it’s so worth it.

Love
    Lesley
    xxxx

Hi Lesley! Lovely to hear from you again.

Stacey Brova did the same as you – she had her hair cropped into the most adorable pixie cut. Hers has all grown back beautifully now and is actually quite long and curly too! It IS drastic but works I think. I had mine cut into a short sharp bob and although I lost quite a lot of hair, I have two people’s worth to start with so it wasn’t noticeable at all – except to me and that is the important point: it’s how it makes YOU feel that matters. If hair loss makes you feel bad about yourself, do whatever you need to to make yourself feel better whether it be shampoo, a new hairstyle/colour or even a wig or extensions! The better you feel the better you will cope with all the changes that happen after wls. like I always say – be kind to yourself and put yourself first for once too. That includes all you men too!

Doodah x

Deifersmum
    Participant

well said Doodah, we’ve all spent so much time looking after other that it’s difficult to change the mindset in what seems to be overnight but with help and support we’ll get there after all we weren’t hare’s we were all tortoises who are turning into hares…… lol…

Love to you all
    Lesley
    xxxxx

Lauren
    Keymaster

It’s lovely to have you back Lesley.

Yes, we all eventually turn into jaunty little hares! Some of us even end up as hairy hares again haha!

Now what I want to to know is this (this might be TMI for some of you chaps) why does the hair fall out of our heads but not all the other places on our bodies where we don’t much care to have it!!?? I was pondering this very thought yesterday evening as I was booking my threading/waxing!!

Doodah x

nuttygirl

Yes! Wouldn’t that would be great! :laugh:

I already have short hair but I’m going to get it cut even shorter tomorrow. I’ve always had thick hair too so in that respect I don’t mind it thinning out – I just don’t want any bald patches!!

Deifersmum
    Participant

good point doodah, wouldn’t it be have been great, especially around ‘holiday time’ if you get my drift ……. lol.

xxx

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media