Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Gym

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    midge

Well my hubby has just had a brilliant idea ……..we started our 1st day at the gym today and hubby said to put a pound each away every time we go then at the end of 6 months il have money for new clothes ….whoo hoo bring it on
    Midge xx

Thais

That is a brilliant idea!!! (I’m copying it)
    Also I would like to know what are people’s view on exercising, do you know how long after bypass is safe to go and do a full work out at the gym?? and go swimming?? I’m raring to start because I want to have the less possible skin hanging around…

Doodah
    Keymaster

Midge – brilliant idea!

Thais, I think most people are advised to wait about six weeks before returning or starting exercise again. I started with swimming as it’s so kind on the old joints. I then went up to an exercise bike (recumbant) then finally the skiing thingy (airwalker?) which I had to abandon pretty quickly due to Menieres disease. I never do the rowing machine as I have a spinal injury and asthma and it’s just too much for me. I have a gym standard bike in my office so that I can just nip on it when I get a 15 min break because it all adds up.

Everyone is individual and you should never undertake any form of exercise without first consulting your GP to make sure it is suitable.

Hope that helps and you will love the benefits. Swimming is good for ‘bingo wings’, stomach, chest and legs: in fact everything. It was a godsend for me as it’s suitable for asthmatics.

Doodah x

ps plain ole walking is brilliant too :-))

hazelann70

There is so much bad language in this post that I’m not sure I can cope with it all. The G word, The E word – brings me out in a sweat just thinking about it. lmao. Self confessed lazy cow here. Know I should but just can’t find the motivation to do any of it. Would rather go on starvation than make the effort – how awful is that! At least I admit it though so that’s a start.

Doodah
    Keymaster

@hazelann70 21908 wrote:

There is so much bad language in this post that I’m not sure I can cope with it all. The G word, The E word – brings me out in a sweat just thinking about it. lmao. Self confessed lazy cow here. Know I should but just can’t find the motivation to do any of it. Would rather go on starvation than make the effort – how awful is that! At least I admit it though so that’s a start.

You are NOT alone believe me Hazel. Most people just aren’t as honest as you 😉

Doodah x

hazelann70

Denial is a terrible thing. I think if you can get over that hurdle then it’s half the battle won. No different to believing you don’t eat much!!! We don’t get to the state we are/were in without putting in the calories. 5 mars bars aren’t much but add up the calories and you have your daily supply.

I think what Mac Donalds have done recently has been fantastic though. I went there yesterday for a free late and nearly caved in for a bacon roll. However, they now put the calories on the boards to let you know what you will be eating. Personally I have found this to be a great deterrant and I very seldome even want whatever I thought I wanted after looking at those. I wonder if it’s had much affect on their sales figures?

Doodah
    Keymaster

It’s a step in the right direction Hazel, but I bet it won’t make a significant difference to their sales! I believe the only thing that will work is to make it too expensive as an alternative to cooking ‘real’ food. Also, if they put the ‘nutritional’ value on it, that might deter a few more people, but let’s face it, they are not going to. It’s all about the profits after all. If cigarette companies wouldn’t do much to try to get people to quit, a fast food chain won’t either.

You are so right about denial. I used to get ready for an occasion by only looking in a compact mirror – if my face and hair looked ok I was good to go! I only bought a full length mirror last year lol!

Doodah x

hazelann70

I suppose in a way you’re right and unless you are calorie aware (which it amazes me how many people aren’t), then it won’t make a difference. It has always amazed me how many people struggle with their weight and have no idea on calories. The other week I was watching the Biggest Loser and they had to guess the calories and were a bit useless. I don’t understand how big people can go through life and not grasped the calorie content of things. Perhaps I judge too quickly. It’s only when I see programs like that I realise perhaps I am one of the odd ones out. Throughout my fat life I tried all kinds of diets and got to know them and this has helped in respect to knowing what I should and shouldn’t eat (not that it stops me though). Don’t most overweight people go through the same thing? I guess I’m calorie aware as my first diet was at the age of 5 and they were instilled into me back then and so have stuck with me. Sorry if I have offended anyone here as it’s not meant at all – just me being too blunt probably but at least Maccy D’s have helped me stay away from their food lmao

Doodah
    Keymaster

For ‘Blunt’ read: Honest! You have certainly never upset me Hazel.

It always amazes me how ignorant the contestants on the Biggest Loser are about nutrition too. Not that it made any difference to me either. I know the nutritional/calorie value of virtually eveything ( and if i don’t I could have a ruddy good educated guess!) but it didn’t stop me eating my way to 26+ stone! So, you are absolutely right.

Doodah x

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media