Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Getting stressed as Weight Loss is Slow- Am I a Failure

Home » Topics » Surgical Journey » The Gastric Bypass Operation » The first 6 months of the Gastric Bypass » Getting stressed as Weight Loss is Slow- Am I a Failure

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    rubybling

I had my bypass 4 weeks ago and feel like such a loser, but not in the way I wanted. I have only lost 3kg in 4 weeks and feel really disheartened with the surgery. I don’t know how to use this tool that I have been given and feel like such a failure as everyone else seems to have figured out how to work with their pouchie. My pouchie does not tell me when I am full, so have not experienced the full feeling. I can tolerate everything I have eaten so far, nothing seems to have disagreed with me. Unfortunately, I do not seem to have lost my sweet tooth, so do enjoy the sugar free Angel Delights, jellies and custard. I was hoping for that to be gone.
    I do not think I am eating large portions, been sticking to ramekins to avoid overeating.

Am I one of the ones this does not work for, I feel so hopeless. My body does not talk to me or give me any helpful signs.

Sorry for all the doom and gloom, but am really worried that I am doing something wrong as my weight loss is sooo slow.

Deifersmum
    Participant

Hi Rubybling

You’re only 4 weeks post op, relax your not a failure, are you eating enough to get the full feeling, are you following the guideline from the dietician? If your really concerned contact the unit where you had the op, they should be able to talk to you and put your mind at ease.

Relax honey it will come good honest, everyone has problems initally our not alone with this it’s a steep learning curve for all of us.

Take care and let us know how you get on.

Lots of love
    Lesley
    xxx

neehaa

Hi Rubybling

I asked the very same question on here when I was about 4-6 weeks post my surgery. I had read some amazing stories about people’s weight loss journeys & got very disheartened when mine seemed so much slower than many others!

I had my surgery on June 27th this year & have shifted 23 kg since then, I am now much more comfortable with the fact that my loss is slow & steady & I now average a loss of 1-2.5 kg a week, so don’t lose heart! I guess some of us are the tortoise’s in the race rather than the hare’s, but we get there in the end!

I too do not often feel full after meals & can eat almost everything I have tried, although my tastes are most definatly for more savoury foods now. I question myself every day as to whether I am eating too much & am glad I have an appointment with the dieticians in a couple of weeks.

Be proud of what you have achieved so far & try not to compare yourself to others & you will get there.

Best of luck & stay in touch

Juanita xxx

Paul-H
    Participant

Hi

Where did you have your surgery and what type and size of meals are you eating, I had my bypass done by streamline and a four weeks I was told to only eat mashed food having been on puréed food for the first four weeks. Don’t try to test your pouch yet as its still healing, just limit your portion size, buy some small dishes, Ramakins, and give yourself three or four table spoons of food in the small dish three times a day. You should not be feeling hungry so are only eating out of habit at the moment.

If you do over eat your pouch will tell you, it’s very uncomfortable and very quick to chuck it up. Where you not given a booklet that explanes what to do and eat post surgery, if you where done by streamline you would have been, if you have it sit down with a cup of tea and read it cover to cover, its all,in there for you.

Paul, 6 months post opp and 6 stone down.

Lauren
    Keymaster

Great advice by everyone here Ruby. I too would say that you need to contact your team and tell them that you are struggling (you may not be but if you feel you are then it can hinder your progress mentally.) Everyone is different. That cannot be stressed enough. Age, gender, build, mobility,occupation…all these things have an impact on weight loss.

The one thing you must NEVER do is suffer in silence. Not only do you have the help and advice from your clinical team, but you have buddies on here who can truly understand and empathize with what you are going through. We have all been there at some point and the good thing is, we are all at different stages so there will always be someone able to walk alongside you at every one.

Please let us know how you get on. Read the literature you were given again and if there is anything you do not fully understand, phone your team and ask them to go through it with you until you do – it’s what they are there for!

Doodah x

ps. Neehaa 1-2.5kg a aweek is brilliant! Imagine trying to keep that up before surgery!! Well done ;-))

Doodah x

rubybling

Thank you everyone. I will definitely speak to the team; I have an appointment on Thursday at Sudbury Clinic.
    I was comforted to hear that Neehaa has the same issues, but has gone on to lose an amazing amount.

I feel it must be like having a baby (excuse my analaogy if I am incorrect, I am not a mother and do not mean to offend mothers!). You give birth (have your new pouch) and then you don’t know what to do with it next. You have self doubts about whether you are doing the right things to nurture it or whether you are doing it completely wrong and causing harm which is the last thing you want to do to something so precious that you have been lucky to have. Will I adapt to it or will it adapt to me?
    You want to treat it the best way you can but you don’t know how.
    Maybe it is a silly analogy and I apologise to all mothers. (I know it must be more stressful looking after children than the pouchie, who is called Priscilla, by the way!).

I will be going to next support group in Harrow, I think I need to.

Deifersmum
    Participant

Hi Rubybling

Good analogy, it’s good to hear your keeping positive, and the support group meeting is great, hang in there and it will come good, as I said before your only 4 week post op and it’s a very steep learning curve not only for you but everyone who’s had this surgery. Your not alone with this we’re all here to help.

Take care and let us know how you get on.

Lots of love
    Lesley
    xxx

Lauren
    Keymaster

@rubybling 25376 wrote:

Thank you everyone. I will definitely speak to the team; I have an appointment on Thursday at Sudbury Clinic.
    I was comforted to hear that Neehaa has the same issues, but has gone on to lose an amazing amount.

I feel it must be like having a baby (excuse my analaogy if I am incorrect, I am not a mother and do not mean to offend mothers!). You give birth (have your new pouch) and then you don’t know what to do with it next. You have self doubts about whether you are doing the right things to nurture it or whether you are doing it completely wrong and causing harm which is the last thing you want to do to something so precious that you have been lucky to have. Will I adapt to it or will it adapt to me?
    You want to treat it the best way you can but you don’t know how.
    Maybe it is a silly analogy and I apologise to all mothers. (I know it must be more stressful looking after children than the pouchie, who is called Priscilla, by the way!).

I will be going to next support group in Harrow, I think I need to.

Hope you manage to get there as I will be going and would love to see you 😉

Doodah x

Floyd

Hi Rubybling

Have been thinking about you, how are you now?

Floyd x

Lauren
    Keymaster

Hi Rubybling.

How things with you? You haven’t posted in a while.

We don’t like to ask too often in case you are trying to work things out in your own head before you share it with others. But like Paul said, we do think about each other all the time 😉

Doodah x

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media