Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Getting hot flushes, very hot could it be WLS related

Home » Topics » Surgical Journey » The Gastric Bypass Operation » The Gastric Bypass- 6 months & beyond » Getting hot flushes, very hot could it be WLS related

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Paul-H
    Participant

Hi all

Just wondering.

I have just past the 6 Month barrier but for the last couple of months I have been suffering very bad hot sweats, they happen at all different times of day but as far as I know not at night. When I get them I literally poor with sweat, which completely covers my body and drips from my hair, it only lasts for a few minutes but is driving me nuts.

Being over 50 you would think I was getting menoporsal except I’m a bloke, I did mention it at my last appointment and it was suggested its possible just a hormon imbalance due to my new eating regime.

Does anyone else get this, is it WLS related.

Thanks for any feedback on this one.

Paul

Ganny
    Participant

Hi Paul,
    As you know I am now 18 months post bypass and I started having really bad sweats as you about 3/5 months ago, mine came to start with lightheadeness and crashing headaches, went to my GP and she thought it was “dumping syndrome” though I don’t actually dump (sorry for that), due to my diet and the fact that my body has decided it doesn’t like sugar in any form now, been on a low/no carb diet for about two weeks but has only help slightly and I have been referred back to St Richards on the 5th of November to see a Endocrinology and Metabolic doctor, to see if it is hormones, thyriod or just an absorbtion problem. The lightheadedness I can deal with and the headaches but the sweats I hate, so just to let you know you are not alone with this I am suffering the same and will keep you posted on how I get on, sitting here now and having a sweat lol.
    Elaine x

Lauren
    Keymaster

It’s funny you should mention this but I have always presumed my hot flushes were because I am female and 53! However, my family have a history of endocrine problems (diabetes, thyroid etc) so I’m awaiting blood tests as we speak! Post bypass, I am mostly freezing cold but almost every day, I have a ‘session’ of sweating like a turkey at Christmas!! Will be interesting to find out my results – and yours 😉

Doodah x

Paul-H
    Participant

Thanks for the replies girls, glad I’m not the only one then, I shall have to get to my GP then, I bet he thought he had seen the last of me now I have had my surgery.

Paul

Ganny
    Participant

Hi Doodah,
    I thought my hot sweats were all done with but the ones I am having now top those and I like you am cold most days, I see people walking round in shorts and vest tops still I have already gone into jumper, jeans, legging and thick tights, was even thinking of digging out my gloves the other day lol, so if the sweat is not pouring off me one minute I am freezing cold the next.
    Elaine x

Lauren
    Keymaster

Elaine, I’m 100% with you on this one Hon.

I’m absolutely freezing cold unless it is AT LEAST 25C outside and even then, only if I’m actually in the sun. I sit at my desk (I work from home 99% of the time) with a heated foot slipper, fingerless gloves, body warmer and a scarf on for most of the year. I fact, the only time I have gone without socks/tights this year was my two weeks away on holiday where is was 32C every day. Bliss. I didn’t wear anything but flip-flops on my feet and it was so liberating!

My friends and family all know that I am cold constantly. My nails and lips even go blue! So, when I have the uncontrollable sweats, it seems even more noticeable!! I know they are thinking ‘Make your flippin mind up woman!!’ because I am also haha!

I didn’t know I would be so cold post surgery and for me, it is the worst ‘side-effect’. Having said that, I would rather be freezing for the rest of my life than dead: now that’s REALLY cold ;-))

Doodah x

Ganny
    Participant

Now that is cold as you said, I never felt the cold before surgery, hated having to wear a coat in winter, only did so because the other half said it would look strange when it was minus something outside and I was in a tee shirt, didn’t own many jumpers and moaned when the heating was on, now I moan if the heating is not on and I am always feeling the cold but as the other half says you have now lost half your body weight and have no blubber to keep you warm, but I am really not worried, I am fit, healthy and I have my life back.
    Elaine x

Lauren
    Keymaster

@Ganny 25485 wrote:

Now that is cold as you said, I never felt the cold before surgery, hated having to wear a coat in winter, only did so because the other half said it would look strange when it was minus something outside and I was in a tee shirt, didn’t own many jumpers and moaned when the heating was on, now I moan if the heating is not on and I am always feeling the cold but as the other half says you have now lost half your body weight and have no blubber to keep you warm, but I am really not worried, I am fit, healthy and I have my life back.
    Elaine x

That could have been written by me!! My friends call me ‘Smythe’ as my surname is Smith. When I started moaning all the time about being cold one of my friends told me to stop mythering. That quickly changed to ‘Smythering’ hahaha! We all use it all the time now when someone is going on and on and on and on…… LOL! So funny that my constant moaning about being cold has developed into a new word we all use for anything that we are moaning about!! Proving that there is humour in everything.

Doodah x

ps I get sent hats, gloves, scarves, gloves and socks all year – LOVE IT!!! Best present was a pair of mittens form my cousin in Canada as they keep your hands warm to -40C!!!! Even my office isn’t that flippin cold.

Paul-H
    Participant

He he, that’s me as well now, I used to go out in the snow wearing a t shirt, now I am buying jumpers for the first time.

Back to my problem, I had quite a bad one today and did a check on my BP & BG and found that my BP was perfect at 116/76 but my blood glucose was quite high at 10, it’s been on average 4.6 since surgery and comming off metformin. So just to check it out I have gone back on the metformin, just to see what happens and give me an option when I get to see my GP in a couple of weeks time.

It will be interesting to see if the metformin controls the sweats.

Paul

Lauren
    Keymaster

Ooh, that will be interesting Paul. Please keep us up to date on that one.

Doodah x

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media