Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

gastric band Questions – answers please

Home » Topics » Surgical Journey » The Gastric Band operation » gastric band Questions – answers please

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Talula

hello
    I am researching info on gastric bands before I make a decision for myself. I am a little concerned by some of the things I have read. Please can those who have had bands fitted answer the following questions?
    1 have you been able to reach a target weight with the band?
    2 has it been possible to maintain goal weight?
    3 is it common to have pain where the port is?
    4 is it common to suffer with gall stones as a result of having the band fitted?
    5 Do you wish that you had opted for the bypass instead of the band?
    6 Have you had to have the band removed and if so why?
    7 Do you wish that you hadn’t had weight loss surgery at all?

Also has loose skin been a problem when goal weight has been acheived? I am about 6 stone over weight.
    Thanks Talula

Bigsister

Hi Talula, My name is Susan [I’m 66] and I had a gastric band in 2008. I’ll try and answer your questions for you, by working down the list.
    I have acheived target weight. I was 22 stone to start with, and lost 10 stone in the first year, then 1 more stone the next few months. Went from a BMi of 50 to one of 23 – 25, it varies by 7lbs now either way. Over Christmas I gained 7lbs but am working at the gym to lose that asap. I have managed to maintain my goal weight, although my goal weight was my decision, no one told me what I should aim for.
    I have not suffered with a pain where my port is. It can feel uncomfortable if you lay directly on it, mine is on the left at the edge of my ribs. I usually sleep on the my front and that causes me no discomfort. I can lay on each side too, it only takes a slight change of position to get comfy.
    I did have to have my gall bladder out 2 years ago because of a large gall stone, but whether this had been growing for a while or not I don’t know. That op was only an overnighter, so that was no problem.
    I have never wished I’d had a bypass, that at my age was something I didn’t feel was for me. I do think that to be successful with a band you have to be quite a disciplined person to do well. And it depends on what sort of an eater you are. I was not a huge sweet or chocolate person, but I did eat them of course. My problem was the huge, huge portions I ate. I never felt I was full, I would eat at every opportunity. Although my portion size has had to decrease dramatically, I dont seem to miss it. I have to eat slower, and chew for longer, so that usually my husband who eats ‘normal’ sized portions and I normally finish together. This was one thing he did worry about before I had the band. I can remember him saying ‘but we won’t be able to go out to eat anymore’. Wrong! It has made no difference at all. You do have to get used to not drinking with your meal, I leave 15 mins before and at least 30 mins afterwards. Most pubs will serve smaller portions, and if they don’t I go prepared with my own doggy bag, and I’ll have the leftovers for tea!
    Also having the gastric band was the very, very best thing I have ever done in my whole life. I used to struggle along with a stick, get called names in the street etc etc. You would not recognise my life now, there is NOTHING I can’t do, nothing. I love my life now, I wake each day excited about another day. It just super. I bore people to tears talking about it. haha.
    I do have some loose skin, but not nearly as much as I would have thought. As I said I lost 11 stone, so that was one of the things that I was concerned about. . I don’t have problems with it. I look at it in the mirror and it reminds me how far I have come. [Mirrors were a huge no no at one time, now I become a bit vain, lol] I think of my loose skin as a badge of acheivement.
    If there is anything else I can help you with – do get in touch, Doodah will give you my contact details. Lots of luck and love with your decision. X

hides

Hi bigsister
    Can i say thank you for your post. I’m sure talula will find it very useful , as i did.

Wow 11 stone in 12 months?….(this is a dream to me )…. How fantastic is that. My questions are….. How much exercise did you do ? I’m not much of a cook, so i tend to have low cal pre-pak meals,(portion controlled) or jacket pots/salad …. Also i do try not to have more then 1300 cals per day…. Are there any set rules you followed during the first 6 months….?

Heidi.

Talula

Hi Susan
    thank you so much for yor reply, it has been very helpful and well done you!!! I hope that my experience is as positive as yours. x

Bigsister

Hello Heidi,
    The only exercise I did was to walk. Now I have joined the gym, which i love, not necessarily to lose weight but just to get fitter. I certainly am no cook, in fact if i did I think i would get tempted more. I usually eat those little meals from Sainsburys or Waitrose, but usually cannot manage a whole one, with extra veg, so often have the other half for tea. I do love salmon, which I cook from fresh in the microwave, just 2 mins, and have that with rice thread noodles, my latest passion. So quick too. In the early days soft food is vital, then like a baby wean yourself onto firmer textures. Careful with portion size. If you take your time, and eat really slowly, you will notice the full feeling in time, unlike the old days when it was only after I’d finished a mountain of food did i know i’d eaten to much. Too late then!

Doodah
    Keymaster

@Bigsister 21467 wrote:

Hi Talula, My name is Susan [I’m 66] and I had a gastric band in 2008. I’ll try and answer your questions for you, by working down the list.
    I have acheived target weight. I was 22 stone to start with, and lost 10 stone in the first year, then 1 more stone the next few months. Went from a BMi of 50 to one of 23 – 25, it varies by 7lbs now either way. Over Christmas I gained 7lbs but am working at the gym to lose that asap. I have managed to maintain my goal weight, although my goal weight was my decision, no one told me what I should aim for.
    I have not suffered with a pain where my port is. It can feel uncomfortable if you lay directly on it, mine is on the left at the edge of my ribs. I usually sleep on the my front and that causes me no discomfort. I can lay on each side too, it only takes a slight change of position to get comfy.
    I did have to have my gall bladder out 2 years ago because of a large gall stone, but whether this had been growing for a while or not I don’t know. That op was only an overnighter, so that was no problem.
    I have never wished I’d had a bypass, that at my age was something I didn’t feel was for me. I do think that to be successful with a band you have to be quite a disciplined person to do well. And it depends on what sort of an eater you are. I was not a huge sweet or chocolate person, but I did eat them of course. My problem was the huge, huge portions I ate. I never felt I was full, I would eat at every opportunity. Although my portion size has had to decrease dramatically, I dont seem to miss it. I have to eat slower, and chew for longer, so that usually my husband who eats ‘normal’ sized portions and I normally finish together. This was one thing he did worry about before I had the band. I can remember him saying ‘but we won’t be able to go out to eat anymore’. Wrong! It has made no difference at all. You do have to get used to not drinking with your meal, I leave 15 mins before and at least 30 mins afterwards. Most pubs will serve smaller portions, and if they don’t I go prepared with my own doggy bag, and I’ll have the leftovers for tea!
    Also having the gastric band was the very, very best thing I have ever done in my whole life. I used to struggle along with a stick, get called names in the street etc etc. You would not recognise my life now, there is NOTHING I can’t do, nothing. I love my life now, I wake each day excited about another day. It just super. I bore people to tears talking about it. haha.
    I do have some loose skin, but not nearly as much as I would have thought. As I said I lost 11 stone, so that was one of the things that I was concerned about. . I don’t have problems with it. I look at it in the mirror and it reminds me how far I have come. [Mirrors were a huge no no at one time, now I become a bit vain, lol] I think of my loose skin as a badge of acheivement.
    If there is anything else I can help you with – do get in touch, Doodah will give you my contact details. Lots of luck and love with your decision. X

Thank you SO much Susan. You are a superstar and no mistake. Such an inspiration to other bandsters. Your honesty and openness is so uplifting. We are so lucky to have you on board.

Sue xxxxxx

Nettie

Such an inspirational story, thankyou
    Nettie xx

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media