Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Gastric Band Opp Gone Wrong Twice Now i have none

Home » Topics » Surgical Journey » Bariatric patient experiences » Band Patient Stories and Photos » Gastric Band Opp Gone Wrong Twice Now i have none

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Sally Bailey
    Participant

Hi there Hayley.
    Don’t ever be afraid to voice your concerns to Streamline. As I’ve said before, criticism is welcome as it helps us to maintain our high standards by making changes where and when they are required. Please phone and have a chat with someone about your experiences. I work for Streamline so I know that your concerns will be taken very seriously.
    Hope you get some resolution.
    Sally.

cazza

Hi Hayley

I had a band fitted at the end of last June and every time I go for a band fill they have great trouble in filling it I did have to have a defill when I went on a long haul flight & just before I had the defill I had some restriction. Since having the amount of the defill put back in plus 2 or 2.5ml on top of that over two fills I have no restriction the weight is not coming off. I was unable to have a bypass because I have an illostomy and food goes stright through me so why am I still not losing they were afraid that if I had the bypass I would end up malnurished.It really gets to me as I see all these people who have managed to lose so much weight and i’m still only around the 2 stone mark in nearly a year. I’m waiting to get some hernias done as all I see in my stomach are these great big things sticking out. If I could have a bypass I would jump at the chance as you know you cant cheat that and if you can’t eat something it will make you feel that ill you will not want to eat it again. Have a chat with the Chichester surgeons hope you get the end result we are all hoping for. Good luck.

Cazza

Donna O

Oh my gosh all of these stories are so scary,im due to go in to st richards hosp on the 20th of this month to discuss my options and meet with the team ,i have been excepted for funding so i just need to see now if they except me and what op they want to do ,reading these stories really put me off im in two minds already whether to go ahead with surgery,but i feel i have no other alternatieve i have done every diet thinkable and always given up after a while through boredom or not loosing enough each week.Its something i have been thinking about for a year now,ive been reading up on it and looking at the different procedures .One day i wake up and i really want to go for it then other days i wake up and feel its just too risky one im afraid im gonna die through it and two im worried about complications like this .I know i have to do something as i want to be around for my kiddies its no fun living how i am .I have already started on a calorie controlled diet as i was due to have my gallbladder out in march but on the day of surgery the surgeon told me it was too risky and i needed to loose weight ,he suggested a calorie controlled diet and he put me forward to the nhs for funding hence why im on here, i have lost nearly 2 stone but its taken 12 weeks and only living on 1000 cals a day ,but its so difficult.Can anyone honestly say they have had one of the operations done and it has been a sucess and they are truly happy now .Hope somone replies as im very confused with it all just dont know what to do .Thanks

Anonymous

Ohhh donna,

Fear not sweetheart, Life on the otherside is for most an amazing and awesome journey.
    We all fret about the risks and the what ifs, its natural to worry when your resulting to rearangiing your isides….

Many many people who have had WLS have incredible lives, some stuglle ( but so fewer than you might think )
    Its a life changing procedure that will take some work, but relitively easy to get right….

Please write an introduction post and introduce yourself, your get more help and replies from a personal introduction…
    Find if someone is local or you have any local support groups, people living the life stick around wanting to help…

Life can and should be an awesome journey and is best shared with friends..

Im living the life and loving it…. as are many many others, too busy living to spend time supporting….

You can too, I am sure you will find your consultation day informative and a bit of a relief…..

Any questions or concerns just jot down a post… were all here for you…..

Buzz
    ( Andy in Bognor )

Claire

@Donna O 14839 wrote:

Can anyone honestly say they have had one of the operations done and it has been a sucess and they are truly happy now .Hope somone replies as im very confused with it all just dont know what to do .Thanks

Hi Donna

I can! I had a gastric band back in Nov ’09 and am now over 8 stone lighter. I no longer have to take a cocktail of medication for weight related illnesses, I run up stairs just because I can! I have a wonderful new man in my life and am generally very very happy!

I had one instance of having too great a restriction, but a quick visit to St R’s for a defill sorted that right out. I still want to lose another stone and a half, but will need another small fill, I am maintaining at the moment and very comfortable with what and how I eat.

Is it easy? No, but then nothing worth having ever is. Would I do it again? Hell YES!

Good luck with whatever you decide! 🙂

ruby tuesday

Donna, I understand the way you feel so much, determined one day and put off the next. The wonderful Buzz is right; try to attend a forum meeting, that way you meet people pre-op (like me), on a pre-op diet with surgery booked, just out of surgery and 3 years down the line! Between all of them, they can answer most questions and put you right on whether complications are likely. If we have tried and tried and tried and end up fatter, then surgery is worth considering. Yes, things can go wrong, but all surgery has risks, and if we are told by our GP we have to have a different type of op. how many of us spend time on research into what might go wrong with that? To a certain extent, do we worry so much about this that we ignore the positive health benefits we are aiming for, because, it is the case that being obese really does put our health at risk.

My advice, don’t be put off – make up your own mind. After all, if someone told us in minute detail what women go through when giving birth, would we still want children or think nah, get a cat!

Claire

@ruby tuesday 14880 wrote:

Donna, I understand the way you feel so much, determined one day and put off the next. The wonderful Buzz is right; try to attend a forum meeting, that way you meet people pre-op (like me), on a pre-op diet with surgery booked, just out of surgery and 3 years down the line! Between all of them, they can answer most questions and put you right on whether complications are likely. If we have tried and tried and tried and end up fatter, then surgery is worth considering. Yes, things can go wrong, but all surgery has risks, and if we are told by our GP we have to have a different type of op. how many of us spend time on research into what might go wrong with that? To a certain extent, do we worry so much about this that we ignore the positive health benefits we are aiming for, because, it is the case that being obese really does put our health at risk.

My advice, don’t be put off – make up your own mind. After all, if someone told us in minute detail what women go through when giving birth, would we still want children or think nah, get a cat!

Definitely the cat! 😉

xxx

ruby tuesday

With you on that Claire!

ruby tuesday

Hayley, thank you for your post, and I feel for anyone who has been through the problems you have. Be gentle with yourself and just take time to recover. You need time to clear your mind as well as for your insides to heal, and it is understandable your partner is worried too, but hopefully you will feel better soon, and can enjoy some relaxing time together. best wishes

hayley

A year later, a stone heaver but im going for it the by pass, and have full support of my family i need all the luck in the world for this one guys i cant wait, havn’t had much luck with the bands so i have put all my faith in this xxxx

Doodah
    Keymaster

Good luck Hayley.

Ask us bypassers anything you want to know ok?

Doodah x

hides

Hi hayley

I am a bandster myself, 6 months post op and nearly 4 stone lighter. I have no regrets about having my band, but i thank you for telling your story because it could happen to anyone at anytime.

I truely wish you well with the bypass, and hope this will give you everything the band wasn’t able to give you. 🙂

Very best wishes
    Heidi 🙂

hayley

Ok it’s day 1 of my my milk diet, it’s so hard but I have my opp in mind for 2 weeks time I’m gonna struggle I know it’s worth it in the end xx

Doodah
    Keymaster

Good for you Hayley. It’s not easy but what you get in return is paid a million-fold. Can’t wait to hear all about and walk along beside you in your journey towards a happier, healthier life ;-))

Doodah x

hides

Wishing you well hayley, stay positive.

Best wishes
    Heidi 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media