Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Gastric Band – lows & highs

Home » Topics » General Section » General Chat, Games & celebrations. » Gastric Band – lows & highs

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    crobins
    Participant

Hi Everyone
    Been wanting to write for a while but the forum doesn’t seem over active recently (I think it should be promoted to any new enquiries/patients automatically as I didn’t get told about it and only found it when searching the Streamline website)
    Anyway, I am 55 years old and had a band in January.
    The high – was the expectation and the first month.. I lost a stone in a month. Carefully sticking to the milk diet and then all the stages of the follow up diet helped. The upside of just a stone has helped with my health, my hip pain has lessened and my snoring has stopped!
    The low – I had had 2 small fills (2ml) so far and due to go back next month for a third. Unfortunately I can’t feel any resistance when I eat, so I can basically eat as I did previously. Although I haven’t put on any weight in the last 4 weeks I have only lost 2lbs so I am disappointed. Although I know the band is only a tool and not a quick fix and I have to work with it I am hoping with a further fill there will be resistance and the weight will start falling again. I have reduced my portion size and I am mindful of eating slowly and eating the right sorts of food (I am following slimming world at the same time) I will keep you posted. Any tips or advice would be much appreciated!
    Caro

Doodah
    Keymaster

Hi Caro

So glad you have found us!

I know many band patients who think they are losing weight too slowly. However, I think the majority of them compare themselves to band or sleeve patients. It really isn’t the same surgery at all. When you have a band, the loss is slow and steady – but the race is won. Bypass and sleeve patients have a rapid weight loss and win their race. There will be plateaux along the way and it is absolutely NOT easy or a quick fix (as the media would have us think!)

If you are following a healthy regime, the weight loss will happen. Actually, the hardest part is maintaining weight loss, no matter which method you use. In my opinion (I’m not a clinician) band patients are lucky as they have more time to adjust to the total lifestyle change that weight loss surgery requires. That also means more time to adapt psychologically.

If you think about it, you have lost 16 pounds in 4 months – that’s a steady pound every week with no regain! You are doing brilliantly! You are doing everything right. You should feel really, really proud of yourself Caro 🙂

Doodah x

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media