Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Gastric band and transatlantic/long haul flight–Defill?

Home » Topics » Surgical Journey » The Gastric Band operation » The first 6 months of the Gastric Band » Gastric band and transatlantic/long haul flight–Defill?

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Kazzie
    Participant

Hi All,
    I’m hoping to be flying to the US in June.
    From what I understand by all the searches I’ve done on the net say the only possible difficulty is you may not be able to eat on the ‘plane without a de-fill. And the consensus on internet forums/advice(sp!) seems to be that as long as your last fill wasn’t within the last month a de-fill isn’t necessary.

Does anyone have any experience advice to give me on this please?

If I have a de-fill I will surely gain weight in the US as i eat so much over there!:suspicious

I flew(to USA) in Oct 20 months post bypass
    and was stopped as I ”beeped” at every single airport security check
    so had to be x-rayed and it was the ”staples” from my bypass
    strangely enough i Flew(to USA ) at only 9 months post op
    and didn’t beep once
    cause I had more fat then I guess???

cazza

Hi I had a band fitted last year and I went to New York in March I had a defill before I went I found that I didnt eat any more whilst I was away but could tolarate some of the things more that I had struggled with then had a refill once I was back.It gave me that peace of mine that I wasn’t going to be sick.
    Hope this helps.

Cazza

Claire

I have flown many time since having my band and not had a defill once. I have had no problems, but didn’t try to eat much, just took a couple of nibbly bits to keep me going and drank quite a lot instead (non-alcoholic! lol)

It is up to you, but many people do struggle to get the same level of restriction they had before the defill, so I have never felt the need to risk it…

HTH
    Claire

Kazzie
    Participant

Thanks to you all for your advice.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media