Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Gastric balloon

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Streamline

The balloons do need to be removed after 6 months as they don’t last much longer. They become damaged by the food breakdown and the natural acid environment of the stomach.

The balloon can be helpful for losing weight especially to become a healthy weight for elective surgery. It can be difficult to maintain discipline once it has been removed and so we recommend surgery for larger BMIs or those needing a permanent solution.

Jimthanet

i was told the balloon starts to deteriorate after the six months and needs to be replaced if needed but it is a short term thing

Doodah
    Keymaster

It is a short term thing, relatively speaking, and is often used to help obese patients to lose enough weight to be safe for major surgery.

doodah x

Jimthanet

i am having the balloon fitted on the 24th this month at St Richards and am unsure if i will be awake for this or hopefully out of it as i am not looking forward to this at all could anyone let me know if you are awake or not for this procedure

Doodah
    Keymaster

Hi Jim.

Phone St Richard’s and ask them. There might not be a definitive answer from us guys. It might be different for each person.

Let us know how you get on.

Doodah x

Jimthanet

Really cheesed off at the moment travel to Chichester yesterday (had to go day before because not able to get there at the time they want you in ) left home at 10 am and got to Chichester at 3.30pm at 4.40pm St Richards phoned and said my procedure had been cancelled. i have just arrived back home after leaving chichester at 9.30 am really tired and feeling so let down not sure i can go through this again (already had a failed keyhole op for sleeve)

luckyflower

so sorry you have had surgery cancelled. Hang in there it will be ok in the end. Sorry that it worked out like this.

Pinkdancer

Hang in there I know it must have been a real blow but you will get there just try and be a little bit patient, not easy when it means so much to you.

Take care x

Jimthanet

Finally got the balloon done last Wednesday i was out cold not sure if i passed out or if they put me out :S woke feeling fine but after a couple of hours started to get wind belching kind not other end thank god next 2 days where very uncomfortable lets just say i know how a coke bottle feels after you have shaken it up 🙂 its Sunday morning now todays the day for my first none liquid meal i cant wait tiny amounts of soft food i know but i am starving still a bit windy but nothing i cannot live with

midge

It’s great you’re doing well , good luck with the food thing I think were all a bit nervous to start with whatever op we’ve had
    Midge xx

midge

Omg I was i’n junior school when I was 13 stone I’d like to get down to that again or less lol
    Midge xx

Jimthanet

got the balloon in now was not nice first few days lots of wind and sickness but been 3 weeks now feel good back for dietry check up in april fingers crossed i lose weight

hazelann70

Nat, you must understand that just because we lose weight, unless you have had a bypass, our stomach’s don’t return to a small size. If you can imagin it being like a balloon that’s been inflated and deflated several thousand times, that balloon will never return to it’s pre just out of the factory size and our stomach’s are the same. Having a balloon fitted will as everyone says, enable you to lose weight but it’s not a long term thing and unless you have sorted your head issues out, it would be a totally pointless exercise to do. I doubt many of us have sorted those head problems out as it’s something we have been living with all our lives (I know I haven’t and believe I never will). So, please don’t think having the balloon is a quick fix as it isn’t, it’s just a tool for being able to have further surgery. Hope that helps.

Doodah
    Keymaster

Hi Nat.

Hazel is right about needing to get your head fixed every bit as much as your stomach. I had 3 years of therapy before my bypass to have a greater understanding of how I got to be 26 in the first place and why I’m so addicted to food. In my case it’s quite simple – I have terrible abandonment issues and always used food to fill that hole. What I learnt from the therapy is that I can never fill the hole: not with food, alcohol, drugs…anything (not that I ever tried drugs) so we have to learn to live with it, pretty much like we do with everything else we might be unhappy with but can’t change: height, build, size of our feet etc… I think the most important words are: forgiveness, acceptance and continuance. We need to forgive ourselves and others, accept that things are as they are and continue to try every day.

It took me three years to do these things and I still have to practice at the forgiveness bit!! The reason behind it all (abandoment issues) seemed so simple and obvious but I just didn’t see it for all those years. How bizzare is that? It’s so obvious to me now!

Bariatric surgery IS a tool to help us to re-train the way we think about and eat food. It won’t do all the work for you but my goodness is it worth it.

Doodah x

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media