Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Gallstones

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Paul-H
    Participant

Hi

I have just read on another support forum that gastric bypass patients are 30% more likely to get gallstone problems within 6 months of there surgery, is this true, can it be prevented and if yes how.

Why are we not told this, if it is true

If it is true why does it happen, is it something to do with calcium supplements.

Thanks

Paul

Ganny
    Participant

Hi Paul,
    I have heard this but as I am now a year + post op and have no sign of gall stones I am not worried about it, I have also heard that if when they do the op and there is gallstones present they will remove the gall bladder as well. I wouldn’t worry about this if I was you.
    Elaine x

Clanceychick

Hi there

I spoke to my Consultant about this in my initial appointment as I have had an attack in the past of gallstone being stuck in a bile duct – ouch!!

Anyway, there is an increased risk of gallstones with quick wright loss which obviously happens after WLS. I asked about having it removed at the same tine as my bypass and although they used to do this when the surgery was open, now it’s done key hole, gall bladder removal at the same time is not possible.

My view is it may happen that I get attacks with my gall bladder following my bypass a couple of weeks ago but at least if I do need it removed in say 6 months at least I’ll be lighter and healthier and less of a surgery risk than if I had stayed heavy and needed something done under anaesthetic. Other risk factors for fall stones include fatty diets so it could easily happen without WLS.

Just my view but always best to discuss with your consultant

Sarah x

Paul-H
    Participant

What are the symptoms of Gallstones, just in case.

Thanks

Paul

Clanceychick

Hi Paul

Lots of people have gallstones with no problems, it becomes a problem when one gets stuck in the bile duct coming out of the gall bladder. You’ll know if that happens as it’s incredibly painful. Prob best to google it though as there may be other symptoms for other people, that was just my experience.

Take care
    Sarah

Paul-H
    Participant

Ok thanks

Paul

shelleymarie

Hi Paul,

This is something I can actually help with. I had two very large gallstones and ended up having my gallbladder out a few years ago. I’ve heard some surgeons take the gallbladder out during surgery if they they think there is a risk or you already have gallstones. I not so sure if that is such common practice this days. Rapid weight loss can increase the risk of gallstones but the main culprit is a fatty diet. I believe alcohol can be a cause too. Seeing as you are avoiding bad fats and alcohol because of the surgery anyway you shouldn’t have to worry but the symptoms include sharp, intense pain in the upper/centre abdomen, Nausea, sweating, vomiting and gas. These symptoms usually show up about 5/15 mins after eating something fatty. They can last anything from a couple of seconds to several hours and if you gallstones get stuck or are large they can be agony. Now having said that, they usually start out very small, my mum has had them for years and only gets the odd twinge. If you feel anything like that just pop to your GP and they can arrange for you to have a scan to check. Getting rid of them is, if necessary, usually done by endoscopy, laser treatment to break up the stones or a simple keyhole surgery to remove the gallbladder.

So there you have it, my experience, obviously not a medical opinion, I don’t think you should worry at all unless you ever get any symptoms and even then it can be dealt with quite easily especially when you are lighter and healthier as Sarah said above.

Hope that puts your mind at rest

Shelley

Paul-H
    Participant

Thanks Shelley, very helpful and reassuring.

Paul.

Doodah
    Keymaster

Have PMd you xx

Paul-H
    Participant

Thanks for the PM, most helpful and reassuring.

Paul

jacquie

Hi Everyone, can I have some advice please, I had my gallbladder out last Wednesday and was wondering what’s the best type of diet to keep to, any ideas anyone please, the hospital didn’t give me any info I’m afraid xxx

Doodah
    Keymaster

@jacquie 28930 wrote:

Hi Everyone, can I have some advice please, I had my gallbladder out last Wednesday and was wondering what’s the best type of diet to keep to, any ideas anyone please, the hospital didn’t give me any info I’m afraid xxx

Hi Jaquie

Lovely to hear from you sweetheart! Sorry to hear you’ve had trouble.

I had my gallbladder out at the same time as my bypass and I was not told to eat anything in particular or to avoid anything either. I’m guessing it was because I was going to follow a very low fat/sugar diet from day one. I’m not a clinician so I can’t offer clinical advice but I could certainly ask someone for you. However, I would suggest calling your hospital team or GP first as they will have all your medical history to hand.

Hope that helps. If you get no joy, please let me know and I will do some asking for you. You are one of Mr Chris Pring’s past patients aren’t you?

Take care of and be kind to yourself 🙂

Doodah x

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media