Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Fussy

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Kitten
    Participant

As I am very fussy with food, I am worried about what to eat after a bypass especially the first stage. Can you have semi skimmed milk? I also like readybrek, have tried a sugar and fat free syrup from a protein store but hated it, so that went in the bin, I can cope with low fat cheese triangles and mashed potato with semi skimmed milk, I do like eggs and baked beans but full sugar, so I expect they are off the menu, have looked in carol the cooks book, but cant find anything I like! I like mashed veg and gravy, I dont seem to like any other foods. Thank you for helping a fussy eater.

Lauren
    Keymaster

Hi Kitten

Welcome to my club – Fussy Eaters United!

I completely understand where you are coming from. I’m also a vegetarian so you can imagine how limited my diet is.

I would suggest contacting your team’s dietitian. There are certain, almost ‘universal’ rules for post op eating but much of it is very flexible. I has to be for anyone with allergies, intolerances and religious observances.

I use sugar free syrup for my porridge. They are not cheap but they are absolutely delicious. I also use them to flavour milk and hot drinks like coffee. I have only ever used semi-skimmed milk and it has suited me fine but again, check with your team.

I also found that as time went on, my tastes changed dramatically. I am now an avid fan of really strongly flavoured cheeses, even the blue variety! I grate Parmesan on almost everything as a tiny amount is packed with flavour.

I know it seems impossible, but you really can get used to different things. I gave up sugar in my tea a year ago. It took many, many attempts but I finally did it. So, what I am saying is, keep trying every week. Eggs are a good choice as is mashed potato (or any other root veg really.) Your food choices seem to be quite healthy ones so with a bit of tweaking from your team, I bet you could be sorted pretty quickly.

I tend to eat the same things over and over because a) I like them b) I can tolerate them and c) I don’t have to think about it! I make sure that what I eat is healthy 95% of the time and stick to it.

Here is the link for the sugar free syrups:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=sugar+free+syrup+pump&tag=googhydr-21&index=aps&hvadid=24562843254&hvpos=1t2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=550987995094360803&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9045790&hvtargid=kwd-87681910134&ref=pd_sl_3td62g2g49_b

Health food stores are worth looking in too. If, like me, you like pulses and seeds, they are a great source of protein, and that is the thing we need to concentrate on most post op.

Sorry for the length of this reply Kitten! Please let me know if I can help you with anything else.

Doodah x

Kitten
    Participant

Thank you so much for your reply Doodah, I shall try the monin syrup. What frustrates me is that I have a large dish of pre-cooked veg in the fridge, and just help myself when I am hungry and add gravy, and apart from an egg sandwich in the evening, the weight will not move, even a pound! I have been doing this for months, but this month I tracked it and not even a single pound – I have asked for my thyroid to be tested again, so just waiting for results. And I worry if I went ahead with bypass it still would not work unless I stayed at the mashed stage. Thank you for all your post, and the length helps a lot.

Lauren
    Keymaster

You are very welcome. It’s a big decision, whether or not to have weight loss surgery. We have people who take months to decide. However, I have yet to meet anyone who has regretted it. The only regret I hear is that they didn’t have it done sooner!

I hope your blood tests are helpful, or at least give you some answers. Take care.

Doodah x

Lauren
    Keymaster

I’ve just looked at a Christmas menu for a social gathering I may be going to.

I can only have the soup as I absolutely hate everything else on offer! How awful is that? I don’t like Christmas food (traditional stuff), I’m a vegetarian and I can’t eat rice. I must be a flippin nightmare to cater for!

In my defence, I was like it before I had my gastric bypass surgery. I’m just a great big fuss pot. It’s a wonder I get invited anywhere at all.

Doodah x

bikerchris
    Participant

Hi,

I’m certainly not a fussy eater but I have somewhat painted myself into a corner post food-wise since I had my bypass. The reason being i have found what works, I like my choices and it is easy. What you said about eggs, cheese and milk, these are all good protein so continue with those. Keeping up protein and fluids (not at the same time) is essential, particularly in the early stages. Baked beans are good too but you’re right to be cautious about the sugar. I tolerate them fine but everyone is different. You’ll undoubtedly have the fun and games we all do in the first few months working out what’s right for you.

Chris

Kitten
    Participant

I’m a nightmare too, went out to dinner the other night, and had a few spoons of mashed potato, as there was nothing on the menu that I liked or could have, I cant eat anything with spices or flavouring or sauces at all due to pain. I was happy with my mash though

Kitten
    Participant

My blood tests came back ok, except I have to be care-full now, as my diabetes test was 41 and I think approx 42-47 is pre-diabetes, but I have changed antidepressants now, and have since found that the old ones (sertraline) were not letting me loose even a pound, since I have changed, I have lost 3 pounds this week.

Lauren
    Keymaster

You have made a great point, Chris.

I stick to what I know works too. It’s just easier isn’t it? As long as our choices are healthy ones for the majority of the time and we keep up with our supplement’s, I think it’s what many of us choose to do. Would you agree?

‘If it’s not broke – don’t fix it’. That’s one of my mantras too lol!

Doodah x

Lauren
    Keymaster

Really glad to hear your bloods came back ok, Kitten.

I think medications can make a huge difference to how and when we lose weight.

I put on weight every Winter as i have to have higher doses of steroids for my asthma. I have learned to accept it now as I know by March it will; start falling off again (the weight that is!) Steroids keep me out of hospital so any weight gain has to be tolerated. It will always be like that for me so there’s no point in being bothered about it.

Glad you enjoyed your mash. Who doesn’t love it?! I had it last night with mashed swede, sprouts and sweetcorn. YUM!

Doodah x

bikerchris
    Participant

I had my first sprouts of the season tonight with a pork and mushroom casserole and rice. Yum yum and yum again : )

• This reply was modified 4 years, 9 months ago by bikerchris.
    Lauren
    Keymaster

Chris – First sprouts of the season – I look forward to it every year! We’ve had a good, hard frost overnight so they will be coming thick and fast now. Sprouts are in my top five fave veg:

1. Sweetcorn
    2. Broccoli
    3. Sprouts
    4. Swede
    5. Beetroot – not the pickled stuff in jars – peeled and boiled.

I am SO sad haha!

Doodah x

Forgot sprout tops. They make the best gravy 😉

• This reply was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by Lauren.
    Kitten
    Participant

Thank you Chris, – I will be the same if I have the bypass, stick to what works.

Lauren
    Keymaster

You are wise to listen to Chris – she has had (and is continuing to have) amazing success 😉

Doodah x

Kitten
    Participant

Yes I am listening – it does seem that everyone does have success – when I told my best friend I was considering wls, she just said “it wont work”!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media