Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Funding Approved!

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 106 total)
  • Author

Thanks Doodah Sue 🙂

As always absolutely rock solid advice

Day 10 post op for me – lets see – so far, had my first mashed up bit of roast chicken breast with the veg made sort of soft and sloppy with some spinach mushroom Anglo Indian style soup I had pre prepared in the freezer, it was like heaven on my tongue each tiny little mouthful, that was Monday three evenings / days ago, last night I sat in the bath for the first time in twelve days that again too was totally blissful, it was only shallow and mainly so that my daughter could get around my head to deep treat my hair – oh yes the biggest news of all I could barely sleep a wink during the night because of this one “I NO LONGER WEIGH OVER 100 KILOS” yep, weight on going into theatre last week Monday just ten days ago was 103.4 kilos or 227.96 pounds today its 99.8 kilos or 220.02 pounds. To say this has excited me no end is a massive understatement, I feel like dancing painting my front door red and having a party !!

It means that in 53 weeks I have lost a total of 51.41kg or 111.34 pounds weight loss 😀

Happy Healthy and Massively Fun 2013 !!

@Doodah 27157 wrote:

After wls, we need to allow ourselves to be our own priority for a while. It’s so difficult to do, especially if you are a parent/gaurdian/carer. It’s my mantra…’be as kind to yourself as you are to others and just for once in your life: put yourself first’. I always say it and I always mean it.

You have achieved so much in such a short time – your head will take a bit longer than most to catch up I think!

Doodah x

day 11 was even better than day 10 😀

Lauren
    Keymaster

Glad to hear it! Now all we need is for today and all the other days to just get better and better 😉 And I have a sneaking suspicion that they will.

Doodah x

yep this ride does feel so good at the moment, moving on to a bit more texture with my food now yesterday I ate the Christmas dinner that I’d prepared and cooked my family just about three weeks ago, it all seems like ages away now. I loosened the consistency of the rice and vegetable curry with zero fat natural greek yoghurt once it was all warmed up and mashed each mouthful down a bit with the spoon before putting any into my mouth, gosh it all tasted so good almost like health in a bowl. Today I had the tiniest bit of a spicy omelette I cooked for my husband and daughter with a small spoon or spinach rice flavoured with vegetable stock and some fresh red lentils spinach and mushroom dal I also cooked today. I realised its been a month since I’ve eaten anything like this but it feels like absolutely ages like I’ve always been this way, its most odd. I have to keep reminding myself it was only 15 days ago I had a major operation 🙂

Makeup shopping has gone well, I noticed with the new shape of my face all the stuff I already had in the house mostly almost all used up as I havent bought any for so long like five to seven years or more, it all started to not suit me any more. Now I’ve been focusing on looking at what sort of clothing I’d like to wear in the future especially as now my most flattering jumper tunic top has started to also look ridiculous on me, I only bought it mid October but its hanging off all over the shoulders and middle area now. I’ve started to understand completely why people were saying to buy things from a charity shop wear them a month and take them back afterwards. I am definitely going to do this or risk wasting lots of money, one thing I do know how to well is spending money which unfortunately has not changed post bypass 😀

I have my first official weigh in of 2013 next week Tuesday so in exactly a week’s time, I’m looking forward to going because for so many weeks before my bypass since the beginning of September I was playing with the same 4kg in weight, it would go off come back go off come back over and over and over, now that 4kg plus a couple more have gone so I feel well pleased about that as it means the lady will see me under 100kg for the first time ever, and that excites me no end. Now all I need to do is find something to wear for this trip out of the house because all my stuff really has started to look ridiculous 😀

Lauren
    Keymaster

Such a positive post to switch on to on this freezing cold morning. Thank you so much.

I’m very envious that you can eat rice. I still can’t 4.5 years post bypass. However, pasta, noodles and cous cous hold no fear for me so I shouldn’t complain! I can also eat bread so realise that I’m very lucky in that respect.

You should definitely go to charity shops for your interim clothing. If you can drive, go somewhere ‘posh’ in your area. I travel quite a way to Romsey or Winchester as the charity shops there often have designer clothes! My Mum once got a Jaeger suit for £15 and it looked like it had never been worn!! She’s even shorter than me so I can’t borrow it. Blast it!

Good luck for your weigh in. However, I know you don’t need it. I’m so proud of you 😀

Doodah x

I’ve been told to check out the charity shops in Westbourne, Bournemouth its where the Sandbanks residents take their clothes. I would be mortified if I went to my local charity shop and I heard someone say that is just like the items I took to the charity shop last week. Our town is too small and by the end of the day the word would be all round town! It seems that the whole town know already I have had a gastric bypass yet I have told very few people….Yesterday I dusted off the sewing machine and have started altering my old clothes that I’m attached to and loathe the thought of getting rid of but I can’t alter everything. I’m staggered that in three months my old clothes are now so very massive I could nearly get two of me in them now. I keep looking at new clothes but I keep saying no only a couple of stone more and then I can have a new wardrobe. It really comes down to the fact I’m too tight to part with my cash!

Lauren
    Keymaster

Nothing wrong with being careful with money! However, think of all the money you are saving on food….. 😉

Doodah x

Thanks Doodah Sue and Claire 🙂

Well I went for my first official weigh in of 2013 on Tuesday a week ago, I have lost 10.5kg in four weeks and 11cm off my waist too since last seeing the Tipping The Balance ladies at the end of December half way through that pre op milk diet. This pleased me completely.

I’ve sold my size 24 powershaper swimsuit that I bought to start swimming club at the end of Sept last year just 14 weeks ago and been to M&S to try on the tummy control ones, I actually take a 16 swimsuit now so came home and ordered a powershaper in size 16 for a fraction of the price online, in the shop it was £39.50 online £5.99 with free postage! so yes, saving the saved money I would have been spending on food and other things in a jar to buy fancy clothing to go on holiday with later in the year with my children.

Also I noticed my shoes were all starting to fall off, it was difficult to keep them on even in the wheelchair so I went and tried on shoes, I took a size 9EEE / 43 wide pre op, now I’m a 7E post op, nearly screamed the place down I really did, yes it was so hilarious, me trying on shoes having to go down to an 8.5 then an 8, then a 7.5 but surely not an actual 7, it was an amazing feeling that and the size 16 swimsuit both of these sizes was what I was pre childbirth 24 years ago !!!

To me weight loss has felt like its gone incredibly slowly, however, I know this not to be true its just my head taking ages to catch up. I nearly bought a size 24 top the other day from the facebook group where people sell off their larger sized clothing locally to where I live, it was beautiful but I had to remind myself that I do not take that size any more it felt strange. I know its true because I spent the day last week trying on stuff properly so would know my size for sure, the head is definitely taking an age to hold on to the facts.

I started to be sick often mid way through eating a few days ago, today it kicked in again just when I thought it had stopped. My doctor thinks its acid build up and will prescribe me something if I need it tomorrow. Will have to see, tonight I have kept down some tomato soup and a little while ago I ate two crackers with low fat philli on them, delicious 🙂

Lauren
    Keymaster

I think losing weight off our feet is possibly the biggest shock! I was also bemused to discover that some of my hats didn’t fit me either! My favourite one now slips down over my eyebrows and I look like Freddy ‘parrot face’ Davis (you youngsters will not have a clue about to whom I am referring haha!) So, I sewed a pair of twisted tights in the rim and it fits perfectly again.

You are so right about the head not catching up with the body. I still, over 4.5 years later, look at size 12 and think ‘No Way’. My feet went from a size 6 to a 4.5 (actually 4.75 but that isn’t an option lol) I didn’t do my measurements and I regret that. However, I know I was once bigger round than tall. I had a waist measurement of 64″ and I’m only 63″ tall!!

I love reading all the posts about you guys going down in size and not believing it. It shows just how wondrous this whole experience can be, even though you are the one living it.

Sorry to hear you are being a bit poorly. There is a terrible bug going round so I hope it isn’t that. Even our wonderful Stacey is heading to the couch today to work – she must be feeling REALLY bad for that to happen!!!

Thank you so much for sharing your journey with us as it is certainly a unique one. I know we are all unique in our own way, but yours has been such a very protracted journey – and it isn’t eve over yet! LOADS to look forward to 😉

Doodah x

Thank you Doodah Sue, I hadnt even thought to try on my hats, will do that after posting this 🙂

In my official weigh in today I have lost 7.8kg which is just over 17 pounds since 31st December 2012 so feeling very chuffed with this indeed as I didnt really feel anything was happening. I now weigh 95.6kg 210.76 pounds 15 stone.

When I started this journey a year ago January 2012 I was in such a bad way unable to make it to the toilet in time constantly wetting myself, sleeping in the lounge as it was impossible to get upstairs, heavily dosed up on pain killers most of the time, constantly coming down with bugs fevers and other horrors, I was just existing for the sake of existing, sure I did loads of designing and other stuff that one could do sitting down or leaning backwards plus all the daily household stuff, home schooling etc but I was dying inside my soul clinging on for all its worth trying to make sense of every day. A year of forcing myself to loose weight and move about even if at first that meant moving my arms above my head only because I was too confined to manage anything else. I was utterly determined to achieve something last year, it was a case of live or not live for me, I was crumbling at every turn with two steps forwards and twenty back again.

So with complete determination and good listening doctors, medical team, I went for it completely pushing everything else aside, I was like a robot with weight loss, weighing measuring all food, journaling like a crazy person, even documenting how much water I was drinking and what time! Its all paid off though as having lost so much weight prior to my bypass on 31st December the recovery process is nothing like as harrowing as it would have been had I not done all of that preparation first. All year all I wanted more than anything else was to be thinner and healthier, now that dream is coming forwards as a reality so I do feel immensely proud and so so so so excited about the future all the things I will be able to do with my children and myself.

😀

Lauren
    Keymaster

@myheartexposed 27452 wrote:

Thank you Doodah Sue, I hadnt even thought to try on my hats, will do that after posting this 🙂

In my official weigh in today I have lost 7.8kg which is just over 17 pounds since 31st December 2012 so feeling very chuffed with this indeed as I didnt really feel anything was happening. I now weigh 95.6kg 210.76 pounds 15 stone.

When I started this journey a year ago January 2012 I was in such a bad way unable to make it to the toilet in time constantly wetting myself, sleeping in the lounge as it was impossible to get upstairs, heavily dosed up on pain killers most of the time, constantly coming down with bugs fevers and other horrors, I was just existing for the sake of existing, sure I did loads of designing and other stuff that one could do sitting down or leaning backwards plus all the daily household stuff, home schooling etc but I was dying inside my soul clinging on for all its worth trying to make sense of every day. A year of forcing myself to loose weight and move about even if at first that meant moving my arms above my head only because I was too confined to manage anything else. I was utterly determined to achieve something last year, it was a case of live or not live for me, I was crumbling at every turn with two steps forwards and twenty back again.

So with complete determination and good listening doctors, medical team, I went for it completely pushing everything else aside, I was like a robot with weight loss, weighing measuring all food, journaling like a crazy person, even documenting how much water I was drinking and what time! Its all paid off though as having lost so much weight prior to my bypass on 31st December the recovery process is nothing like as harrowing as it would have been had I not done all of that preparation first. All year all I wanted more than anything else was to be thinner and healthier, now that dream is coming forwards as a reality so I do feel immensely proud and so so so so excited about the future all the things I will be able to do with my children and myself.

😀

Well this is a first….I’m having a little cry over your post. What you have written could have been written by me. That’s exactly how I was existing. I saw no future. I didn’t ever plan anything, didn’t dare to hope for anything and certainly NEVER expected anything good for myself.

We are kindred spirits you and I. Our journey hasn’t been about size this or that or how many kilos, it has been about survival. We have made it by the skin of our teeth via sheer grit and determination. What a couple of tough old gals we are!!!

Doodah xxxx

Definitely Doodah Sue, we are kindred spirits for certain and so blessed to know each other now finally, its like I’ve known you years and years already 😀

Well I’ve passed the 95kg milestone and officially was told today that I have lost more weight now than I want to weigh at the end of the weight loss journey. That is phenomenal and such a WOW oh my life moment when the weight loss management services lady said it, I was and am just stunned by the news.

I had all my really long right down my back hair cut off yesterday impulsively to celebrate reaching the 95kg mark. I did not decide to have it cut so short until I was sitting in the chair with the hairdresser discussing my new lifestyle of gym training, swimming, kids education, walking. Once decided and she made the first cut taking off half the back, it was like having all the pain, suffering, all the inner torment, frustration at being stuck like that, emotional turmoil, the negativity, the rigid daily routine of waking not being able to move, wanting to die often to just get out of the hole I was in, smoking myself to death, not taking care of myself, all the heartache, distress at such poor health, well it was all like it all just was lifted away carried off on a wave of sparkles when my hair was being taken off. This symbolic step has made me feel even more full of vitality than I did last week.

Back at gym training this week, I want to walk, I want to walk, I want to walk, so will be pouring my heart and soul into getting my body fit and mega healthy as it shrinks down a bit more so I can be stronger and more in control of my body than it was of me before. I know I will be a wheelchair user for at least another twelve months but the bits I can manage on foot I shall be doing and doing very well too.

@Doodah 27454 wrote:

Well this is a first….I’m having a little cry over your post. What you have written could have been written by me. That’s exactly how I was existing. I saw no future. I didn’t ever plan anything, didn’t dare to hope for anything and certainly NEVER expected anything good for myself.

We are kindred spirits you and I. Our journey hasn’t been about size this or that or how many kilos, it has been about survival. We have made it by the skin of our teeth via sheer grit and determination. What a couple of tough old gals we are!!!

Doodah xxxx

Lauren
    Keymaster

You know what? I wouldn’t be at all surprised if we didn’t see you asking for donations to ‘Walk for Life’ because you are doing it!! And I will happily donate 🙂

Doodah x

YES! this is absolutely the type of thing I’ve been looking for, thank you so much Doodah Sue, I often feel like I am so out of the loop as I dont know about the sort of things that involve walking as its been so long for me. There are endless possibilities with this one, will wait until May then do a “Walk for Life” will start planning it but do the actual walk after my next appointment at QA which is early in May.

So this morning I have finally moved off the 93s into the 92kg slot, this pleases me completely because a) its been difficult finding the right balance of food and keeping it down, b) you dont loose weight without keeping food in, c) the pain involved in vomiting everything back up has caused me a great deal of anxiety therefore that last kilo felt like it took forever to come off, d) been back on full exercise program now for two weeks today have to keep in mind muscle mass weighs more than fat so initially when you start exercising with a full session twice or three times a week the weight loss appears to slows down.

As I’m primarily Anglo Indian, living on cream crackers, low fat cheese spread, weight watchers yoghurts and other bland things has kind of upset me. Usually if I do not eat something with chillies or other spices I do not feel like I have eaten at all, this has not changed since my bypass so finding a balance has been extremely challenging. In Iceland Frozen Foods I found pouch meals which have over 35 – 40g of protein in each one and about half that of carbs. They have flavours from around the world so nicely spicy and tasty as well. Perfect for a quick meal, I managed to finish one pouch once but have gone about 3/4 since then on the other two I’ve tried.

So completely reworked my diet again means that I’ve kept all food items down for five days, my new tummy pouch has had a chance to settle down again and does not hurt any more, the anxiety has gone away because I know I can eat now without the stress of being sick, the weight is coming off again – thankfully!

Relaxing a bit more then, I have realised I might be homesick. I say homesick because I lived in the north east of England for 15 years, only having been back in the south east for 18 months. If only they had the health care I needed up there I would have still been living there, so I’m very blessed to be living here instead as its given me the chance to sort my health issues out, a lot of which has been reversed thanks to steady weight loss for 13 months, I’m on day 51 post bypass op today, but yes, I actually think I might need to go spend some time on familiar home feeling surroundings to take stock of myself again. Everything is huge for me at the moment, the perspective change from viewing the world from an upright position when I couldnt physically see much of it in the first place has been very interesting and completely overwhelming at times. Its all in a good way, I’m loving the new challenges I’m faced with several times a day now but it would be nice to down tools for a few days and just sit at the very secluded beach I can now walk down on to at Tynemouth and just soak up the geordie fresh crisp air, maybe visit my son too who is at uni there as well.

Do I have the courage to take a coach and travel over 325 miles? am thinking on that one and will let you know 😀

@Doodah 27516 wrote:

You know what? I wouldn’t be at all surprised if we didn’t see you asking for donations to ‘Walk for Life’ because you are doing it!! And I will happily donate 🙂

Doodah x

Lauren
    Keymaster

I have absolutely 100% confidence that, if you wish to do it, you will make it happen. You are a trier, a doer, a go-getter, a let’s-make-this-happen person. If you said you would like to travel to the moon, I would book my ticket to Cape Canaveral and buy some binoculars.

Some people are sent more trials in life than are thought bearable. Some falter, feel sorry for themselves and spend their whole lives missing out. Then there is YOU. You have pulled yourself up by the collar, dusted yourself down and made the decision to re-join life. I’ve done something similar but nowhere near in your league. It’s hard, hard work and you are winning. I admire you so much.

Doodah x

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 106 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media