Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Funding Approved!

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 106 total)
  • Author

aw many many many happy new years to you Doodah Sue, you are an amazingly inspiring young gorgeous woman! and thank you for putting yourself out there the way you do, you certainly are a true inspiration for me and will continue to be for a long time to come of that I am certain 😀

Its QA Portsmouth and I am due to arrive around 2pm on Sunday to stay from the day before, op will be Monday morning, I simply can not wait.

For me it is the greatest possible gift I could ever have imagined giving to myself in the whole world.

Each time I look at myself a year or more ago in pictures, I know for certain it is absolutely THE right thing and pathway forwards for me. I look now nothing like myself even just twelve months ago where I looked so huge, tired all the time, heavily breathing louder than the dog, unable to move about, infection after infection for all different types of weird obscure things internally, polycystic ovaries, incontinent, just down right miserable and uncomfortable.

At exactly 23:59 on the 31st December 2011 I snapped a picture of myself using my laptop’s webcam, the room was dark so I was lit by the flash only as it was night time and everyone was asleep. I took a long hard look at that grainy picture of my face and head with an inner voice screaming silent in the room yet at full volume inside my head at my screen that in twelve months time the photo taken in the middle of the night will look incredibly different. As I’ll be in hospital having had surgery earlier that day, the photo will be different to that of a planned one with makeup and hair but then the original has none of that either so I shall snap that photo if I can reach my laptop on the day and see the two together. I am absolutely certain that if I were to do that same impromptu image right now and compare it to last year’s one the two will look nothing like each other. Imagining what 23:59 31st December 2013’s image will look like excites me no end.

All I have ever wanted when I grow up is to be loved, now I have my own family and children I am loved completely unconditionally by them but what I hadnt realised until this year was that it only made sense when I started to love myself without ugliness and an inner war which has raged on for me my entire life. Now I’ve faced it and passed all of that monumental struggle, all I want for me is to be thin, healthy and live a longer life than the one I would have had if I stayed on the same road I was previously on and to basically enjoy every moment of my life even the future difficult bits.

So its absolutely true what you say, put your mind to it and you can achieve a massive lifestyle change but it all definitely started with changing the inside first and the outside second. This is what I have found working for me.

Happy New Year to YOU Sweetie and willing everything to go smoothly for everyone having their op within the first week of the new year 😀

Lauren
    Keymaster

What an absolute delight to switch on my computer to start work today and come across this post.

The excitement you are feeling is almost palpable here at my desk! It’s heart warming and contagious.

I have found myself counting down the hours with you. This has to be the most significant start to a new year for you EVER! I simply cannot wait to hear all about it. Thank you for being so kind. I love my job. If I won the lotto, I would still do it! In fact, having wls is better than winning the lotto – all that gives you is financial wealth. Wls gives us health, happiness, choices, friends, and a longer life in which to enjoy it all. with the people who love us. What a gift.

Doodah x

Just love you to bits Doodah Sue 😀

All of this is a million times better than winning any amount of money, all that would do is give you more choices with being able to afford more, you cant put a price on this journey that’s something I am certain of, what I’ve gained in terms of knowledge, friendship, love, experience and heartwarming moments well them and everything else is utterly priceless and I havent even had the surgery yet!

Two more days and counting !!!!!

😀

Well its now Sunday 30th December, in just over an hour I’ll be leaving for the long drive down to Portsmouth to arrive at QA the day before my operation which obviously then is tomorrow 😀

Thank you so very much for all the support and special replies here. I think this will be my last entry to this message thread, I’ll start another one over on the loosers bench side when I get home post op!

I am very excited about this journey, Claire calls it “the Shaw Effect” have to agree with her, its all been made exceptionally calm knowing I am in such amazing hands.

See you on that loosers bench in a few days when I get home 😀

Whitey

Good luck with your op and we look forward to hearing your progress x.

Paul-H
    Participant

Good luck with your op on Monday. Not that you will need it.

There are quite a few of the Medway/Swale Massive on here now.

Paul

Lauren
    Keymaster

Good luck indeed.

Sorry I couldn’t get to see you yesterday. Family stuff and a hugely painful wisdom tooth prevented me from going out after around 3pm yesterday 🙁

No need to wish you good luck as you are in the very safest of hands and surrounded by a wonderful team. Hope you can find time to let us all know how it went. For you, today is your new year and birthday! My new birthday is 17.07.08! I now have two – the same as our Queen 😉

Doodah x

Currently with Helen in QA here in Portsmouth, she looks fantastic and is getting around fine, but had a massive op more than expected. Helen wil update in the next few days…….

Helen thanks everyone for their best wishes.

Lauren
    Keymaster

So glad everything went ok, despite the fact that it was more involved than was initially expected. Helen is very lucky to have you with her too 😉

Doodah x

3rd January 2013 today, WOW I’ve eaten a puree liquidish meal of mild curry rice and dal mashed up tonight at home, looked hideous but tasted oh so so so good after not having anything for 18 days other than milk and jelly 😀

Op was 31st Dec 4 days ago with the wonderful amazingly talented Shaw Somers, straight forward gastric bypass, three different hernia repairs, the previous surgical area had torn so he repaired that as well. I am very blessed to have had such a magnificent surgeon I’m not even in any pain, I had to take paracetamol liquid earlier but it was because I was developing a horrid headache not because of the abdomen at all.

My time at QA was interesting, on the first day before the op and the morning of the day itself with filming was amazing, everyone was mega efficient and everything ran smoothly. Post op back on the ward however after Shaw Somers visited me things were not so smooth. It went downhill pretty much within the first three hours.

I feel very angry that the ward I was on repeatedly insisted that they had a sheet listing a protocol which they follow after every procedure, they were not working from my own notes therefore kept trying to give me things I was a) allergic to, or b) are contraindications to my main medical condition of HPS Albinism.

When I went in I had stapled to the front of my file that I can not have blood thinners or coagulants, I lost count of the amount of times I opened my eyes and a nurse was preparing them next to my bed stating they’d been written up therefore I had to have them.

Several arguments later, no soup given then when it did come a day later there was no spoon for which I had to wait a further 20 minutes for and even then it only came because I started shouting in the corridor, the final straw for me because I knew I had a freezer full of wholesome nutritious goodies waiting here at home, I finally left the hospital last night earlier than expected and came home.

Now I’m settled in at home having had a good nights sleep and eaten twice, I feel really good. So happy with the op and looking forward greatly towards my thinner and more healthy future.

Lauren
    Keymaster

Firstly, I’m very happy your ops went so well and that you are feeling no pain. Shaw Somers is a magnificent surgeon isn’t he? You really could not have had anyone better.

Secondly, I am totally shocked at how the rest of your stay went: truly. I have always recieved the highest level of care from all the staff at the QA no matter how busy they may have been. True, as in all busy NHS wards, sometimes I have had to wait for things but the actual care recieved has been second to none.

Anyway, you are home now and it sounds like you are healing nicely and getting stuck in to your new regime. The first few mouthfulls of ‘real’ food taste like a banquet prepared by the world’s greatest chefs don’t they?!

Onwards and upwards (or downwards as the case may be!) from here on in. It’s hard to believe that this time next year you will be the healthiest you have ever been and abound with confidence and optimism.

Good to have you back 🙂

Doodah x

thanks Doodah Sue 🙂

The staff and nurses were so lovely, really busy sure but very nicely mannered all the same no matter how busy things got. The problem was that one of the doctors without looking at my notes wrote things up for me which I do not have as they are dangerous for my other main condition, so when challenged about this I was repeatedly told in front of my husband, daughter and friend on separate occasions that they were not following my own notes that they had this protocol to follow for general bariatrics. This to me is negligent and completely unacceptable. The poor nurses didnt know what to do as all they knew was they had instructions to give medication and the patient was refusing it, only when I did refuse it they went away retrieved my own notes and saw that it should not have been written up so pointed it out to the doctor. Yet it happened again and again.

I realise it was bank holiday, the staff for the wards cover was very limited but this had I not been alert and assertive could have been very dangerous. In hospital one should be able to relax and recover from surgery not have the added stress of making sure you are being given the right medications.

Like you say, its done now, I’m home, the surgery was a massive success and OMG yes, that first meal last night was heaven. Shaw Somers did an amazing job inside my abdomen, I can not wait to see the film footage of it all which apparently I’m to receive next week 🙂

Lots more rest for me today I feel very tired but know everything is working as it should which is the main thing so I just feel delighted with how its all gone and so looking forwards to the future.

Lauren
    Keymaster

@myheartexposed 27131 wrote:

thanks Doodah Sue 🙂

The staff and nurses were so lovely, really busy sure but very nicely mannered all the same no matter how busy things got. The problem was that one of the doctors without looking at my notes wrote things up for me which I do not have as they are dangerous for my other main condition, so when challenged about this I was repeatedly told in front of my husband, daughter and friend on separate occasions that they were not following my own notes that they had this protocol to follow for general bariatrics. This to me is negligent and completely unacceptable. The poor nurses didnt know what to do as all they knew was they had instructions to give medication and the patient was refusing it, only when I did refuse it they went away retrieved my own notes and saw that it should not have been written up so pointed it out to the doctor. Yet it happened again and again.

I realise it was bank holiday, the staff for the wards cover was very limited but this had I not been alert and assertive could have been very dangerous. In hospital one should be able to relax and recover from surgery not have the added stress of making sure you are being given the right medications.

Like you say, its done now, I’m home, the surgery was a massive success and OMG yes, that first meal last night was heaven. Shaw Somers did an amazing job inside my abdomen, I can not wait to see the film footage of it all which apparently I’m to receive next week 🙂

Lots more rest for me today I feel very tired but know everything is working as it should which is the main thing so I just feel delighted with how its all gone and so looking forwards to the future.

Oh my goodness, you get to see your own operation! How exciting is that?! I bet you can’t wait!

That was one heck of a gaffe at the hospital. Good job you, like most of us on here, are very self aware and not scared to challenge things.

Make sure you rest….lots. That was the mistake I made after my last op. When I have stage two in February, I will not do a thing for at least a week. Pot, kettle and all that lol!

Can’t wait to hear your updates my lovely 😉

Doodah x

Thanks Doodah Sue 😀

Well day six post op I was feeling very tired all of a sudden after remarkably not feeling tired for the days before, its all sort of caught up on me thankfully as it means I can now rest properly for a change.

So far so good still, wounds healing nicely, cant believe how tiny they are given all the magical work Shaw Somers did inside my abdomen, just bruised and swollen still so waiting for it all to calm down at bit as I feel slightly enormous and blank emotionally which is ok, I mean its been one hell of a ride I barely stopped to draw breath last year so January for me is for resting and catching up with myself finally 🙂

I am certain it takes the brain ages longer than the body to keep up with massive changes even ones that happen gradually over twelve months my head still keeps thinking I am much bigger than I am which is just weird.

@Doodah 27132 wrote:

Oh my goodness, you get to see your own operation! How exciting is that?! I bet you can’t wait!

That was one heck of a gaffe at the hospital. Good job you, like most of us on here, are very self aware and not scared to challenge things.

Make sure you rest….lots. That was the mistake I made after my last op. When I have stage two in February, I will not do a thing for at least a week. Pot, kettle and all that lol!

Can’t wait to hear your updates my lovely 😉

Doodah x

Lauren
    Keymaster

You are absolutely right about the head taking ages to catch up with the body!! I still sometimes see my reflection in a window and think ‘That women has on exactly the same outfit as me’!! I then realise it IS me haha!

As we only ever see from our own viewpoint, we can easily forget that the outside has changed. Other people see it so much clearer that we do as they only ever see the outside.

I remember seeing myself in the mirror for the first time in about 4 months once (was in hospital with hyperemesis gravidarum: same as Kate Middleton) and absolutely not recognising myself. My face seemed so gaunt and thin that it just did not look like me. Ok, I was gravely ill, on two drips and a feeding tube and was 8 months pregnant, but I simply did not recognise myself. It was one of the most bizarre things I have ever experienced! My son was born a few hours afterwards so it must have been a shock lol!

After wls, we need to allow ourselves to be our own priority for a while. It’s so difficult to do, especially if you are a parent/gaurdian/carer. It’s my mantra…’be as kind to yourself as you are to others and just for once in your life: put yourself first’. I always say it and I always mean it.

You have achieved so much in such a short time – your head will take a bit longer than most to catch up I think!

Doodah x

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 106 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media