Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Four weeks today…

Home » Topics » Surgical Journey » Pre- Weight Loss Surgery » Four weeks today…

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Vickster

It’s hard to believe, but my surgery is four weeks today. Nerves are beginning to kick in now, tummy keeps doing that light flippy thing! Got my pre-op assessment next Wednesday, and start the milk diet the Monday after that. I can’t wait for the milk diet to start, I am finding having to decide what to eat really stressful as I get nearer to the date, and just want to not have to make that choice for a while. Does that make any sense at all? My mind is just whirring at the moment and is making my OCD difficult. We bought a new to us car on Friday and I am really struggling to be in at the moment, it is perfectly clean but I just can’t do it. Need to mind dump a bit methinks!

It’s all good though, mega excited and mildly terrified!!!

x x x x

Lauren
    Keymaster

@Vickster 34198 wrote:

It’s hard to believe, but my surgery is four weeks today. Nerves are beginning to kick in now, tummy keeps doing that light flippy thing! Got my pre-op assessment next Wednesday, and start the milk diet the Monday after that. I can’t wait for the milk diet to start, I am finding having to decide what to eat really stressful as I get nearer to the date, and just want to not have to make that choice for a while. Does that make any sense at all? My mind is just whirring at the moment and is making my OCD difficult. We bought a new to us car on Friday and I am really struggling to be in at the moment, it is perfectly clean but I just can’t do it. Need to mind dump a bit methinks!

It’s all good though, mega excited and mildly terrified!!!

x x x x

It’s all absolutely normal! Your OCD is probably in overdrive because you are trying to micro manage everything and you can’t. I have OCD and when I find myself in a situation over which I have no control, it goes totally stratospheric!!

I loved the milk diet for the same reason – I didn’t have to make any decisions and it was easy to follow. I completely understand how you feel. when I feel like I have no control over what is in the future, I clean the oven and hob! I have been known to do it in the middle of the night. Funnily enough, people who have OCD tendencies tend to love the strict regime that wls brings in the early days. This is only my own experience of meeting up with other wls people, not any scientific research though.

I’m very excited for you, Vickster. The next few weeks will either fly by or drag beyond the telling of it haha! As for the car, get in there and clean it to within an inch of it’s life. If you are unable to do that, pay someone else to do it for you. There is something so uniquely satisfying about a beautifully clean car isn’t there? And cookers haha!

The best is yet to come. I LOVE sharing this part of the journey with people.

Doodah x

Vickster

Oh Doodah, thank you x x You are so right. Yes, I am trying to micro manage everything. Every single little thing, and I can’t! And my physical well being at the moment means that I can control less and less. I want to be able to scrub the house from top to bottom, but in truth walking from room to room at the moment is a challenge. But we have got someone coming to do a deep clean for us next week, so that I feel on top of everything. The car is booked in for a full valet on Thursday. At work we have a car cleaning company that employs some of our clients with Learning Disabilities, and they do an amazing job, so got it booked in this morning.
    Feel overwhelmed and so touched by all the support x x x
    Next week I am going to do my cooking for post op, so that is another thing I can take control of. I am such a fuss pants!

Lauren
    Keymaster

@Vickster 34200 wrote:

Oh Doodah, thank you x x You are so right. Yes, I am trying to micro manage everything. Every single little thing, and I can’t! And my physical well being at the moment means that I can control less and less. I want to be able to scrub the house from top to bottom, but in truth walking from room to room at the moment is a challenge. But we have got someone coming to do a deep clean for us next week, so that I feel on top of everything. The car is booked in for a full valet on Thursday. At work we have a car cleaning company that employs some of our clients with Learning Disabilities, and they do an amazing job, so got it booked in this morning.
    Feel overwhelmed and so touched by all the support x x x
    Next week I am going to do my cooking for post op, so that is another thing I can take control of. I am such a fuss pants!

LOL @ ‘Fuss pants’.

I was right where you are now 7 years ago. Wanting to stay on top of everything but physically just not able to do so. It is utterly frustrating. That’s when OCD sneaks in. If you can be in control of anything, no matter how small, you have to have TOTAL control at all times!! My dressing table has always been 100% exactly as I want it to be. Everything positioned right, in the right order and colour co-ordinated. Why? Because I could do it sitting down. I’m still the same though haha! Nothing pleases me more than having everything in it’s place.

However (you knew this was coming lol) I have now accepted that I cannot do it to the rest of the entire house. So, it is clean and tidy but it is not perfect. Having wls has taught me so much more than simply how to eat, when and what. It has taught me that there are some things that are not meant to be micro managed – it’s the way of the world. Chaos exists so it must serve some purpose, right?

Brilliant decisions on the house and car cleaning. As for the cooking, OCD the feckin life out of it my lovely. Have it exactly as you like it. You will soon be in a position to be able to decide what things you want to be in control over and what is not worth the effort with because you have such a busy social life! I’m 100% serious about that. When you are flying off here, there and everywhere, the way the loo rolls are stacked won’t matter a jot. Good times are coming Vickster – be prepared to not give a rat’s wotsit about the small stuff in life 🙂

Doodah x

Vickster

Oh Doodah, you do know we all love you, don’t you?! :grouphug:
    You are so, so right, as always! Feeling a little calmer today, thanks to all you lovely people x x

bikerchris
    Participant

I’ve found that I’m less of a neat freak since wls, this is because my life is now full of the good stuff that I want to do that I’m not prepared to waste time worrying that my tupperware boxes are not neatly stacked in the cupboard! So long as the place isn’t actually dirty, I’m fine with that. We have a saying in our house, “is it above plague level” meaning as long as we aren’t going to catch a disease because the house is unsanitary, we’re happy

Chris xx

Lauren
    Keymaster

@Vickster 34210 wrote:

Oh Doodah, you do know we all love you, don’t you?! :grouphug:
    You are so, so right, as always! Feeling a little calmer today, thanks to all you lovely people x x

Thank you. Gulp – brought a lump to my throat xx

Lauren
    Keymaster

@bikerchris 34213 wrote:

I’ve found that I’m less of a neat freak since wls, this is because my life is now full of the good stuff that I want to do that I’m not prepared to waste time worrying that my tupperware boxes are not neatly stacked in the cupboard! So long as the place isn’t actually dirty, I’m fine with that. We have a saying in our house, “is it above plague level” meaning as long as we aren’t going to catch a disease because the house is unsanitary, we’re happy

Chris xx

HAHAHAHA!! Oh my life that has made me laugh SO much. I need to share this with my Sister. Is that ok? Obviously, I won’t say from what source. Absolutely BRILLIANT!

Doodah x

bikerchris
    Participant

Share with anyone you like x

CurvyJem
    Participant

Hi Vickster,

I am in the same boat as you – pre-op assessment next week, then milk diet the following week.

I was also having a panic about what to eat after the op and my dietician sent me a really useful and easy to follow guide which has made me feel a LOT better about it all, so perhaps speak to your team. I don’t think I can attach a document here but I can paste some of the more useful pointers:

Stage 1 food list:
    • Milk semi skimmed or skimmed,
    • 2% fat or less smooth yogurt (plain unsweetened is best, but if you choose flavoured watch out for high sugar contents, typical is 7g sugar per 100g)
    • Soups – choose protein based ones such as chicken, lentil, pea, fish – puree these to smooth if they are lumpy.
    • Fruit smoothies made with milk, soya milk, almond milk or yogurt.
    • Home made low fat, low sugar custard
    • Breakfast cereals – Ready Brek, weetabix – made up with more milk these are runny and can be part of the early days.
    • Pureed fruit – useful to add to flavour yogurt or cereal
    • Pureed main meals – Add milk, stock or use casseroles to get to desired consistency. Puree meat/fish separate to vegetables/potato to give yourself different flavours on one plate. Eg: Cauliflower cheese made with low fat cheese, shepherd’s pie, lean mince bolognaise
    Other items that puree:
    • Low fat cottage cheese
    • Canned fish eg tuna, pilchards, salmon, mackerel in tomato sauce
    • Silken or smooth tofu
    • Rice or potato boiled mashed with added milk to thin
    • Vegetables boiled and pureed eg cauliflower, broccoli, carrot, peas, beans
    • Sugar free ice lollies do not have any nutrients value but may help to add in extra fluid.

Supermarket ready soups: per 200g –
    Ideally fat content to be less than about 2.5g per 100g
    Covent Garden lentil and bacon soup, 1/3 of pack, 200g – 134kcal, 8.8g protein
    Covent Garden pea and ham soup 1/3 pack – 100kcal, 7.2g protein
    Covent Garden Scrumpy Chicken soup 200g – 96kcal, 6.6g protein
    Sainsburys fresh chilled lentil dahl soup 200g – 160kcal – 8.8g protein
    Sainsburys fresh chilled tomato, lentil and red pepper soup 200g – 108kcal, 7g protein
    Tesco fresh chilled Finest Moroccan chicken soup – 120kcal, 7.2g protein
    Tesco fresh chilled chicken and sweetcorn soup – 120kcal, 7g protein

Main Meals:
    Sainsbury’s beef lasagna ‘Be good to yourself’ range – 200g/half pack – 210kcal, 12.5g protein
    Sainsbury’s ‘Be good to yourself chicken and mushroom pie’ – leave potato topping, choose meat filling

There are also some recipes for soups etc I can post if useful?

Hope this helps..

Jemma

Lauren
    Keymaster

@bikerchris 34223 wrote:

Share with anyone you like x

I put it on my Facebook timeline and it was extremely popular. It made me laugh all day – thank you 🙂

Doodah x

Lauren
    Keymaster

@CurvyJem 34228 wrote:

Hi Vickster,

I am in the same boat as you – pre-op assessment next week, then milk diet the following week.

I was also having a panic about what to eat after the op and my dietician sent me a really useful and easy to follow guide which has made me feel a LOT better about it all, so perhaps speak to your team. I don’t think I can attach a document here but I can paste some of the more useful pointers:

Stage 1 food list:
    • Milk semi skimmed or skimmed,
    • 2% fat or less smooth yogurt (plain unsweetened is best, but if you choose flavoured watch out for high sugar contents, typical is 7g sugar per 100g)
    • Soups – choose protein based ones such as chicken, lentil, pea, fish – puree these to smooth if they are lumpy.
    • Fruit smoothies made with milk, soya milk, almond milk or yogurt.
    • Home made low fat, low sugar custard
    • Breakfast cereals – Ready Brek, weetabix – made up with more milk these are runny and can be part of the early days.
    • Pureed fruit – useful to add to flavour yogurt or cereal
    • Pureed main meals – Add milk, stock or use casseroles to get to desired consistency. Puree meat/fish separate to vegetables/potato to give yourself different flavours on one plate. Eg: Cauliflower cheese made with low fat cheese, shepherd’s pie, lean mince bolognaise
    Other items that puree:
    • Low fat cottage cheese
    • Canned fish eg tuna, pilchards, salmon, mackerel in tomato sauce
    • Silken or smooth tofu
    • Rice or potato boiled mashed with added milk to thin
    • Vegetables boiled and pureed eg cauliflower, broccoli, carrot, peas, beans
    • Sugar free ice lollies do not have any nutrients value but may help to add in extra fluid.

Supermarket ready soups: per 200g –
    Ideally fat content to be less than about 2.5g per 100g
    Covent Garden lentil and bacon soup, 1/3 of pack, 200g – 134kcal, 8.8g protein
    Covent Garden pea and ham soup 1/3 pack – 100kcal, 7.2g protein
    Covent Garden Scrumpy Chicken soup 200g – 96kcal, 6.6g protein
    Sainsburys fresh chilled lentil dahl soup 200g – 160kcal – 8.8g protein
    Sainsburys fresh chilled tomato, lentil and red pepper soup 200g – 108kcal, 7g protein
    Tesco fresh chilled Finest Moroccan chicken soup – 120kcal, 7.2g protein
    Tesco fresh chilled chicken and sweetcorn soup – 120kcal, 7g protein

Main Meals:
    Sainsbury’s beef lasagna ‘Be good to yourself’ range – 200g/half pack – 210kcal, 12.5g protein
    Sainsbury’s ‘Be good to yourself chicken and mushroom pie’ – leave potato topping, choose meat filling

There are also some recipes for soups etc I can post if useful?

Hope this helps..

Jemma

Thank you for posting this Jemma.

I have to point out that people who have had a gastric bypass have to be VERY careful about ready made food in the early days. They are loaded with hidden fats and sugars, even though they may be low in calories. People who have had a bypass may experience pretty bad dumping syndrome in the beginning if they eat anything unexpectedly high in fat or carbs. This doesn’t apply to those who have had a band or sleeve.

Sorry to sound a bit bossy but it’s my duty to point it out.

Doodah x

Lelly

@Doodah 34232 wrote:

Thank you for posting this Jemma.

I have to point out that people who have had a gastric bypass have to be VERY careful about ready made food in the early days. They are loaded with hidden fats and sugars, even though they may be low in calories. People who have had a bypass may experience pretty bad dumping syndrome in the beginning if they eat anything unexpectedly high in fat or carbs. This doesn’t apply to those who have had a band or sleeve.

Sorry to sound a bit bossy but it’s my duty to point it out.

Doodah x

Being scared about the “dumping syndrome” I made my own little pureed meals, I then knew that they were low fat, very low sugar and it gave me something to do as I was virtually packed for hospital a month or more before my date. to give that information CurvyJem was so kind but please be careful as when I go shopping now I am a nutritional info addict and check every packet and tin, so amazed by the amount of sugar that I unknowingly used to consume, I thought that I was good using sweetners but that is only half the story, take care

Lelly x

penny

Jemma I have looked at the ideas you put to Vickster brilliant I shall keep this in mind if I get this far for my by pass.
    xxx

Lauren
    Keymaster

I made the mistake of having tomato soup (Heinz) too soon after my bypass. Oh my life, did I dump! I haven’t been able to eat tomato soup since.

It’s a quirk of mine that if I try something and it makes me dump, I never eat that food ever again. It’s a sort of association I suppose. The same happened with sweet potato. I began to notice that it was mostly orange food that was being banned from my plate – how crazy is that?! Have any of you experienced anything similar or am I just crazy?!

Doodah x

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media