Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Fluctuating weight

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 66 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

@vickihayling 16290 wrote:

You have my full sympathy, I am 4 months post op and although I have lost nearly 4 stone, I’m not convinced the band is working yet and i’m having to diet like mad as i’m so scared of failing and letting everyone down. However my fill nurse assures me I am on the right track and I should expect it to take anything up to a year to get to my sweet spot but when I hit it then the weight will drop off. So keep that thought in mind and hopefully the band will kick in soon and we will see some genuine results XX

Vicks, Please dont be disapointed, not yet a while, your certainly never be a failure or let anyone down all the time your trying.
    It will take a little time, for some it might seem like ages.

I understand how frustrating it is when you see such dramatic weight loss of bypassers.
    Dont compare your weight loss to bypasses, but with other Bansters and then I think you will realise actually just how well you are doing …..
    It will pay off I am sure…. just needs a little more time to get the sweet spot, the restriction and you happier with the results…..

Your never a disapointment sweetheart…..

Buzz x

Sally Bailey
    Participant

Agree with Buzz. Try not to compare yourself with ANYONE else, band or bypass. We are all so different. If you are a Streamline patient, please do what Doodah suggested and phone the helpline. They will put your mind at rest.

It’s very early days so please don’t lose heart.

Sally x

natashals

What diet are you doing? As I haven’t lost any weight with my band, I’m almost 2 months post op. I spoke to the nurse about dieting and she told me not to and eat normally. But I may follow your lead as losing 4st is brilliant and I really have to lose weight.

Look forward to your good advice.

Natasha q

SJ

At the moment the band isn’t doing it’s job, you are not at the right level of restriction ‘sweet spot’, until you get to that point (which can take several fills, possibly up to a year) any weight you lose will be through diet and exercise. If you just eat normally you will gain weight (which is quite common post band) until you reach restriction, but this can be hugely demoralising.

You do need a lot of willpower with a band, and have to be patient. Weight loss can be slow and you have to work with it, when you do reach that sweet spot it can be tempting to resort to slider foods as they are easier…

Any weight lost before you reach the sweet spot is great! It can take 2-3 years to truly see any difference after you have had a band.

How much fluid in your band means very little, everyone is different, you could have 10 out of 11mls in it and still not feel restruction and 0.1ml can make all the difference. It is better to have the fills done slowly and although frustrating it can avoid problems further down the line.

Sadly there is a lot of expectation immediately after wls, with a bypass the weight can drop off from day 1, but bands generally take MUCH longer. Yet they are a tool, and can be amazing, so work with it and it will (eventually) work with you.

Do speak to the fill nurse, she is there to help.

SJ

ruby tuesday

SJ, your posts are so helpful and kind, love reading them. How are you doing anyway – seem to remember a post saying you had been ill? x

SJ

@ruby tuesday 16744 wrote:

SJ, your posts are so helpful and kind, love reading them. How are you doing anyway – seem to remember a post saying you had been ill? x

Thanks Ruby Tuesday! I do my best to please!

I am not so well sadly, seem to be getting worse at the moment, so back to the hospital this week. Frustrating, but trying to be philosophical and staying strong.

I hope you are doing ok?

SJ
    x

xxladykxx

Hi Everyone,

I had my band fitted 4 months ago and I have 5.45ml in a 9ml band. I have lost a stone and a half but to be fair I lost the bulk of that on the pre op diet and when I struggle to eat the first 24hrs after a fill they are the only time I’ve lost weight.
    I do have fairly good restriction and struggle with a lot of foods.
    On an average day I guess I consume around 800 calories (I have checked with my doctor and she said this is good/ok) but I am still not losing weight.

I know you are all about to say….give it time….the band is a slow process etc, but my thinking is this.
    My doctor says to go any less than 800 cals per day is not healthy and will leave me malnourished. So If I can’t eat fewer calories and I am not losing weight on 800 calories where does that leave me.
    I also can’t understand where before I must have consumed 2-3-4 thousand calories a day and now only 800 why am I not losing weight? There is no logic.

I am not comparing myself to bypassers as I know the science behind the digestion side of things is different, but I have read plenty of success stories on here of band patients and am wondering why I am not one of them.

If there are any band patients going through the same of can shed some light I would be so grateful.

ruby tuesday

That must be very frustrating for you, and I can’t shed any light on it myself, but hopefully someone will. What about exercise, what do you do regularly? best wishes, Ruby

Doodah
    Keymaster

Hi Lady K

I’m a bypasser but it soundls like you might not be eating enough. I know that sounds ridiculous but if we consume too few calories, our systems go into ‘famine’ mode and shut down. This causes weight loss to slow or even stop. Also, are you drinking enough water: dehydration will influence your digestion and weight loss too.

If you are a Streamline patient, call the helpline or get in touch with your dietician or nurse. It IS true that the band is a slower process than the bypass but I understand your frustration. Keep in touch and let us know how you get on.

Doodah x

natashals

Hey lady k I’m the same. Dong know what to do. I had a band 3 months ago, 4 fills and no weight loss. So frustrating I wish I had had a bypass. Don’t know what to do. X

SJ

You do need to be patient, i’m afraid. Make sure you are making the right food choices, drinking enough water, exercising etc. It does take time and patience with bands, you are both very new to your ops and need to give this time. As Doodah says you may not be eating enough. Regardless of how much fill you have in your band you also may not be at your sweet spot which can take quite a few fills.

For the first 6 months with my band, all the weight I lost was through dieting, then when my band was tightened I sadly had problems so never got to use this tool properly. It can take a while to get to the point where you are eating the right amount for you (and no point comparing to others or thinking logically about calories consumed, for everyone is completely different) and losing weight.

It is hard when you see bypassers dropping weight so quickly, but you shouldn’t compare as your op is so completely different. I know it’s frustrating, but keep the faith. Speak to your team re dietary advice and make sure that you are following the bandster rules e.g. protein first, no slider foods, etc etc.

Good luck.

SJ

denise1

Hi there, my name is Denise, just joined the site. You poor thing. Its very disheartening isn`t it. I am having a bypass on 8th Sept. My friend had the same problems as you. She was told to eat LESS, can you believe that! she became so malnourished she was taken into hospital. Her surgeon was appalled. She then went to have a bypass as no weight came off, shes fine now. I wish you well and be careful as to what advice is given to you! Stay in touch, that would be nice, Take care x

Sally Bailey
    Participant

Hi Denise and welcome to our forum.

Where are you having your surgery and who is your surgeon? September will come round in a flash! Hope you stick around for more support and help than you need – we are a friendly bunch 😉

Sally

@denise1 17752 wrote:

Hi there, my name is Denise, just joined the site. You poor thing. Its very disheartening isn`t it. I am having a bypass on 8th Sept. My friend had the same problems as you. She was told to eat LESS, can you believe that! she became so malnourished she was taken into hospital. Her surgeon was appalled. She then went to have a bypass as no weight came off, shes fine now. I wish you well and be careful as to what advice is given to you! Stay in touch, that would be nice, Take care x

that is EXACTLY what happened to me -and am still paying for it as my bypass (after my band removal due to malnutrition)
    and now I am metabolically compromised as a direct result of malnutrition and STILL 18 AND A HALF stones
    it is beyonf disheartning it is simply soul destroying and like you and others are now starting to post I simply can not understand the logic that pre surgery i ate approx 3000.4000 calories a day and now eat 850 to 1000 and DO NOT LOSE WEIGHT and if i go to 1200 i actually GAIN weight
    its a horrible way to live long term

@xxladykxx 17693 wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I had my band fitted 4 months ago and I have 5.45ml in a 9ml band. I have lost a stone and a half but to be fair I lost the bulk of that on the pre op diet and when I struggle to eat the first 24hrs after a fill they are the only time I’ve lost weight.
    I do have fairly good restriction and struggle with a lot of foods.
    On an average day I guess I consume around 800 calories (I have checked with my doctor and she said this is good/ok) but I am still not losing weight.

I know you are all about to say….give it time….the band is a slow process etc, but my thinking is this.
    My doctor says to go any less than 800 cals per day is not healthy and will leave me malnourished. So If I can’t eat fewer calories and I am not losing weight on 800 calories where does that leave me.
    I also can’t understand where before I must have consumed 2-3-4 thousand calories a day and now only 800 why am I not losing weight? There is no logic.

I am not comparing myself to bypassers as I know the science behind the digestion side of things is different, but I have read plenty of success stories on here of band patients and am wondering why I am not one of them.

If there are any band patients going through the same of can shed some light I would be so grateful.

i so feel for you
    i know how hard this is
    and like you simply can not understand the logic
    frustrating and very difficult to live with long term

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 66 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media