Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Fluctuating weight

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 66 total)
  • Author
    dianated101

Hi, I had a gastric balloon inserted 3 months ago in Czech republic. . Like you, I wasn’t big enough to have a gastric band. I also seem to have reached a plateau. I lost a lot of weight in the first 2 months (20 pounds) but nothing over the past month or so. I have also noticed my appetite is increasing too. Initially, I was eating a quarter of what I was used to but this is creeping up . All the information warns of the balloon deflating and a symptoms of this is a return of appetite but I feel fairly sure the balloon is still in place and certainly haven’t noticed any of the other warning signs they tell you about. Have you noticed your appetite has returned? I read somewhere that some people’s stomach simply expands to accommodate the balloon and don’t get any reduction in appetite.

Anonymous

PEP TALK TIME…..

Changing things up and looking at water intake can start things moving again.
    My weight loss all happened in the first four months and very slowly since… we have to remember the ammount of weight we loose after each surgery is very different for all of us, some loose fast, others slowly with plateaus long and short…

Water and fluids is a very common cause, when we dont do enough of it, breaking away from the rules, drinking within half an hour of eating…. making a little more effort with excercise. It really is down to us to make the last bits fade, it takes a little effort, some dedication and a lot of patience…

So… mix things up. review what your doing…..

I will try to find the 5 day pouch test that is commonly used to understand how your pouch might have stretched…

Its really up to us, the good thing is most of us are not gaining, we are maintaining although our intake has probably increased… so we make plans, we mix things up and help each other to stay focused and find solutions….

Plateaus happen, its how we stop them lasting for ages…. any advice on this subject needs posting…

When would we have maintained such weight loss in the past??? we wouldnt have… so PLEASE dont be disapointed or get dispondant…. it takes a little effort to achieve perfection…. (especially for us former fatties)

Looking forward to replies…. ( even I need a little kick up the pants ) lol

Buzz xx

Claire

@Buzz 11065 wrote:

PEP TALK TIME…..

Changing things up and looking at water intake can start things moving again.
    My weight loss all happened in the first four months and very slowly since… we have to remember the ammount of weight we loose after each surgery is very different for all of us, some loose fast, others slowly with plateaus long and short…

Water and fluids is a very common cause, when we dont do enough of it, breaking away from the rules, drinking within half an hour of eating…. making a little more effort with excercise. It really is down to us to make the last bits fade, it takes a little effort, some dedication and a lot of patience…

So… mix things up. review what your doing…..

I will try to find the 5 day pouch test that is commonly used to understand how your pouch might have stretched…

Its really up to us, the good thing is most of us are not gaining, we are maintaining although our intake has probably increased… so we make plans, we mix things up and help each other to stay focused and find solutions….

Plateaus happen, its how we stop them lasting for ages…. any advice on this subject needs posting…

When would we have maintained such weight loss in the past??? we wouldnt have… so PLEASE dont be disapointed or get dispondant…. it takes a little effort to achieve perfection…. (especially for us former fatties)

Looking forward to replies…. ( even I need a little kick up the pants ) lol

Buzz xx

Can’t really add to Buzz’s great post. I have had my band for a little over a year now and have lost around 8 stone with it, but still want to lose another 2. I have been pretty much plateauxed for the last 3 months or so, but recently went on holiday and did so much more exercise than I normally do that despite eating and drinking more than usual, I managed to lose 8lbs in 10 days.

Look at your carb intake, it’s the carbs that stop me losing, make sure you’re drinking at least 2 litres of water a day and make sure you are eating enough lean protein and vegetables.

When your body realises you’re not going to starve it again any time soon, the weight should start coming off again (at least that’s what I keep telling myself! 😉 )

Best of luck with that last stubborn stone.

xxx

Paula

I’m in the same boat – plateaued and only 1 & 1/2 months post op…! lost 18lb from pre-op diet and first two weeks after that nothing. I have had 3 fills, not once been sick and can eat pretty much what I want except white bread and pasta!. Getting frustrated and started eating naughty bits of festive food as feel no restriction? Starting to think what a waste of money and pain the operation was ;o(
    Other wise….. MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE XXX

Claire

Paula – get yourself booked in for another fill hun, you shouldn’t be able to eat what you like portion wise, if you can, then you do definitely need a little fill… don’t get too disheartened, it can take some people many fills til they get to their sweetspot. I was one of the very lucky ones, but I know of MANY bandsters who don’t lose much at all for months and months. You are still not even 2 months out yet… hang in there, it will work.

The weightloss with a band is much slower initially than with a bypass, but results show that after 2 years, both achieve pretty much the same result. It’s a tortoise and hare thing…

Good luck
    xxx

xxladykxx

Hi All,

I am so frustrated I am 3 weeks post op G band and have lost a stone, but now my swelling must have gone down I have no restriction and have already gained 3lbs and I’m not due my first fill for another 4 weeks!!!
    Its so gutting to see the scales move down instead of up for the first time in god knows how long only to see them go back up again!!!
    What a let down. 🙁

vickihayling

I know exactly what you mean as the same thing happened to me and I got really disheartened. But try to go back to basics and control your eating (I even went back on the milk diet for a day!) I think a lot of it is your body rebalancing after cutting your eating so drastically but I have finally realised that it may take a good few months for the fills to kick in and until then I need to desperately control myself. Take care, thinking of you X

Honestly-NOW will you believe me
    in the end it all comes down to dieting and excersizing
    who knew eh????

SJ

Having the band is something of a patience game, the band will not do it’s job until you get to the right level of fill, until then it is diet and exercise that will help you to lose weight. Try not to despair, it’s hard to see the scales go up, but be patient and you should see the weight come off in time. It can take numerous fills to get the level of restriction right, but persevere and do the best you can. Remember that until your band is filled enough, it is not actually doing it’s job, so you are ‘going it alone’.

Good luck.

SJ

xxladykxx

Hi Everyone,

I had my gastric band fitted 15 March 2011 and I initially lost a stone between the pre op diet and the surgery and have managed to keep that off but I cant seem to loose anymore.
    I have had 2 band fills so far. I have 5.5mls in an 8.5ml band so way over half way.
    I do have a lot of restriction and eat very little but i’m not loosing any weight. I even exercise now not loads but more than what I was doing before which was nothing!
    I just don’t know what I am doing wrong I feel like the band is failing me and I feel under emense pressure as all my friends and family know I have had it done and keep asking me how much weight I have lost and I have to keep saying nothing 🙁

Any suggestions,advice or anything would help.

p.s I haven’t had a follow up with anyone since I have had the band fitted I have only seen the band nurse twice to have my fills and she doesnt ask me anything other than to do with the fills is this normal?
    I also don’t feel I can really ask the band nurse for advice she herself has not had a band and she is also VERY over weight which makes me think she is possibly not the best person to ask for nutrition advice.

Please help

mandyl

sorry i cant help as had a bypass, but think you should give the team a ring as thats what they are there for x

Doodah
    Keymaster

Hi Lady K

So sorry to hear that you are struggling.

Where did you have the surgery and who did it? from what you say, it would appear to me that you might not be eating ENOUGH. You need to be eating regular, small amounts and keeping fully hydrated for your body to heal and keep ticking over.

If you are a Streamline patient, phone the careline or your hospital to ask for advice. They will be disappointed to think you are struggling to cope.

I hope you get the help you need asap. We are all here to support you in any way we can – you are not alone.

Love Doodah xx

ruby tuesday

How frustrating for you, how about ringing streamline and saying you need to speak to someone, perhaps the dietician? I am pre-op, but was watching the fat doctor videos last night and saw Mr Sommers telling a pre-band op patient the weight loss is slow with a band and would take 2-3 years, so I doubt you are doing anything wrong, or that the band is not working.

You say you are excercising more (and well done for that), so remember, muscle weighs more than fat, and lets say you didn’t have a band, but were doing what you are doing, your body would be changing, and burning off the fat, so it makes sense that is what is happening now. Try to keep off the scales for a while, measure your body at the points like waist, bust etc. write it down, and come back to that in one month and re-measure. Bet there is a difference!

The last time I lost weight I did that, and it reasurred me all was well, and then I slowly began to buy smaller clothes.

So, eat healthily, enjoy the fact that the weight will be coming off and you have changed your lifestyle, and laugh at anyone who asks what you have lost, telling them you are too busy enjoying life to check, but feel great!!

Hope that helps a little. Best wishes. x

Anonymous

Lady hun,

Not being a band patient I can only advise what I have learnt from others over the last couple of years.
    And by saying any of this I DO NOT want you disapointed or worried….

Bands do take some time to get right. No doubt about that.
    Over eating is still an option but over a longer peroid of time… we have only restricted the inlet…..
    Most stalls occur about 2-3 months where the body just has had enough… it rebels.
    Not eating and drinking will inevitably cause stalls and complications…. the idea is to eat regular and drink to fill up if necessary.
    With bands feeling full is not so achievable, more a discomfort of food getting stuck.
    Your digestive system remains intact just restricted, it will shrink, it doesnt have much option.

Regular weighing for the most will only upset you. Hide the scales.

Dont ever feel you cant talk to any of the staff about your worries. I am sure if they dont have the answers they will point you in the right direction to someone who can :).
    You but have to ask…… Its never too much trouble…..

A dietician would help if only to confirm you are eating enough and doing the right things….

Bands do take so much longer, and can fail leading to a bypass later on….

Get some advice, make a call, you be glad you did….
    Whoever has done your procedure has a duty of care and will not want you to fail, touble is if they dont know, they dont know….

GO on…. pick up the phone and chat to someone…..

Sure this will all be sorted just as soon as you remind yourself your a delicate little flower and ask for advice, your entitled to it….. you deserve it….

Hope that helps… your not going to fail its our mission to help you…….ok.

Let us know how you get on..

Buzz xx

vickihayling

You have my full sympathy, I am 4 months post op and although I have lost nearly 4 stone, I’m not convinced the band is working yet and i’m having to diet like mad as i’m so scared of failing and letting everyone down. However my fill nurse assures me I am on the right track and I should expect it to take anything up to a year to get to my sweet spot but when I hit it then the weight will drop off. So keep that thought in mind and hopefully the band will kick in soon and we will see some genuine results XX

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 66 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media