Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

First Visit due 20th April and very nervous.

Home » Topics » Surgical Journey » The Gastric Bypass Operation » First Visit due 20th April and very nervous.

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

Hi guys, I’m new to all this. I am a self funding patient, and I Have my first visit with Dr Shaw Somers on 20th, I was told I will also see a dietician and a psychologist. I was just wondering what to expect on this visit? And how long after this visit can surgery take place?.
    I have blissfully researching how amazing bypass is, but whilst doing my research I read a lot of horror stories like bowel obstruction, hernia and ulcers I’m an now very scared and the magnitude of how life changing this op will be is beginning to set in.
    I am 28 and have fertility problems, due to my weight so I know this is the best option, but I’m am beginning to become anxious about such drastic major surgery.

H x

ebaa

Hi there I am now 11 months post op like you I Also self funded . I had my op at Nuffield in Guildford with chris Pring from assessment to op was 6 weeks for me. This time last year I was age 38 20+ stone with 2 young children & a husband I found that my weight affected everything we did !!! Theme parks were a no as I was scared of getting stuck etc swimming no way bike riding was there even 1 that would hold me ??? 1 year on I’ve lost 10.5 stones & we as a family are having the best time ever !!!! My only regret is that I didn’t do this years ago !!!! I too read all the horror stories & can honestly say if my husband had asked if I was sure on the day of surgery I would have said no & done a runner – deep down he knew this and purposely didn’t ask !!! My husband has supported me every step of the way and been to every single appt with me even just the dietician ones and that really helps because he remembers to ask things that I might forget and 2 heads for taking onboard all the information is a definite must !!!! Recovery after was tough harder than I thought I’d had 2 c sects so thought this would be a walk in the park you really need to allow yourself 2-3 weeks to recover !! I’ve had my ups & downs it’s definitely not an easy option but definitely more ups and the reward for all your hard work is seeing the scales go down and buying new clothes from whichever shop you like !!!! I hope this helps if you have any questions feel free to ask. Good luck x

Thank you so much. I’m having a doubtfull day today I think xxx

ebaa

I had loads of them I don’t think we would be normal if we didn’t !!!! But honestly once I recovered I’ve never looked back !!!! Keep in touch let us know how your 1st appt goes & if it makes you feel any better I’ve just enjoyed a steak & salad meal with a banana for pudding albeit a LOT smaller than I would have had before wls x

Lauren
    Keymaster

@Sparklepumpkin 28111 wrote:

Hi guys, I’m new to all this. I am a self funding patient, and I Have my first visit with Dr Shaw Somers on 20th, I was told I will also see a dietician and a psychologist. I was just wondering what to expect on this visit? And how long after this visit can surgery take place?.
    I have blissfully researching how amazing bypass is, but whilst doing my research I read a lot of horror stories like bowel obstruction, hernia and ulcers I’m an now very scared and the magnitude of how life changing this op will be is beginning to set in.
    I am 28 and have fertility problems, due to my weight so I know this is the best option, but I’m am beginning to become anxious about such drastic major surgery.

H x

Hi Sparkle and welcome to the friendliest place around!

You would not be taking it seriously enough if you did not have your ‘doubtful days’ believe me! It is a major life-changing surgery so you are wise to research it until your eyes bleed lol!

Mr Somers saved my life almost five years ago when he performed my bypass. I was slowly dying and felt utterly hopeless and helpless. My family all felt the same way too. I had an open bypass (hardly ever done any more) as he took out my gallbladder at the same time. I went home three days later and wasn’t really in that much pain to be honest.

One thing I’m delighted about is how young you are – you will get almost twice as many years of benefit from wls (weight loss surgery) as I have! You will bounce back quicker and be able to start living the life you have always wanted.

Yes, things can go wrong but Streamline have an excellent record for success – you quite literally could not be in safer hands I promise you. From appointment to surgery was on month for me as I was very poorly. I have lost 15st and kept it off for almost five years now. I’m back working (from home) and now look forward to having a future of which I am in control.

Please keep in touch and let us know how it all goes. We are a friendly bunch here and will truly look forward to hearing all about your progression and successes. I always say (and always mean it) that this part is the most exciting. I remember my first meeting with Mr Somers like it was yesterday! It was the actual start to my new and better life. Please feel free to ask absolutely anything. There will always be someone who will be able to help you or point you in the right direction.

Doodah x

Thanks so much ladies. Feel much more positive today, and I know im going into this with my eyes wide open. Yesterday I took it as gospel, I would defo have an ulcer, and I defo would have a hernia blah blah blah. But I guess ANY operation has its risks just wanna get it over with now :-). Doo dah that is amazing you have lost 15 stone! What an inspiration. Ebaa I look so forward to when ill be able to be abke to ride my bike and not feel like a self conscious, sweaty mess :-).

Hx

Thanks so much ladies. Feel much more positive today, and I know im going into this with my eyes wide open. Yesterday I took it as gospel, I would defo have an ulcer, and I defo would have a hernia blah blah blah. But I guess ANY operation has its risks just wanna get it over with now :-). Doo dah that is amazing you have lost 15 stone! What an inspiration. Ebaa I look so forward to when ill be able to be abke to ride my bike and not feel like a self conscious, sweaty mess :-).

Hx

Whitey

Hi Sparkle Welcome! I think it’s good to do your research because WLS is not an easy option but the rewards can be fantastic. I would make a list of questions you want to ask at your appointment as things tend to go out of your head when you are there. Ask about anything you are worried about. When I did my research I was told to find an experienced surgeon and you have found just that with Streamline. I found it useful to do a list of pros and cons before I made my decision. I was 53 when I had my bypass last June and as I have been very over weight all my life I looked at WLS as my last chance to loose weight before I had major health problems. I’m 10 months post op and lost almost 7 & a half stone and feeling positive. I only wish I could have had the surgery at your age when I would have longer to reap the rewards. Yes there are risks but being obese is a risk anyway. WLS is not for everyone and not something you should do lightly but it can transform your life.

Lauren
    Keymaster

Absolutely brilliant point there by Whitey. For many of us older people, it would have been far more dangerous to do nothing! Even with some of the youngsters as diabetes is a horrible condition that can rob you of your health and future very early on. My second Mum died of diabetic complications as just 59 years old. She didn’t even get to retire.

I know 59 sound ancient to a young woman like you but that is only five years older than me – yikes. So, what Whitey said is important – if you do nothing, it’s quite possible that you will start to develop health problems way before your time. My only regret is that I didn’t do it sooner – don’t let it be yours too 😉

Doodah x

Thanks girls, you make me feel so much better. Have started to write a list, and is gonna make my partner be the minute taker whilst I listen to Dr Somers lol x

What sort of tests will I have for my first assessment? Is this visit a pre op as well?, also I have gallstones, does anyone know how much that differs the price, if removed? Hx

What sort of tests will they do on my first visit?, and is this the same as a pre op? X

Kimbo

Hi
    I was self funded and i had my bypass with Shaw Somers on 5th March this year he is absolutely wonderful so you have made a great choice and will be in safest of hands
    My first consultation was with Mr Somers, the dietician and the psychologist. You see them all separately over the space of about 2 1/2 hrs and they just chat to you exploring your dieting history, eating habits, motivation, emotional state etc to determine if you are suitable for surgery and which surgical procedure would be best for your situation. They will take into account your medical history and any current co-morbidities and they look at the forms that they have asked you to complete and your food diary.
    It is absolutely nothing to worry about and you need to just be totally honest, believe me they have heard it all before and nothing you will say will shock or phase them so just be yourself.
    There were no medical tests at all that day they just weighed me and took my height to work out my BMI
    The pre-op tests were done at a separate appointment a couple of weeks later once they had confirmed my surgery date at that point they did the pre op tests and I started the milk diet, my surgery was then 2 weeks after that
    It was around 6 weeks between my first consultation and my surgery date
    It is the best decision I ever made in my life I am, I am just over 5 weeks post op and have lost nearly 2 stone in that time
    Hope this helps, keep posting and let us know how you get on

Kimbo xx

That was everything I needed to know thanks hun xxx

Sorry one more question I have gallstones, will it stiil be keyhole surgery if that is removed at the same time? . Ihave a bmi of 38 x

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media