Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

First Christmas/new Year

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Doodah
    Keymaster

Hi guys

So, how was your first Christmas and/or New Year after wls? Did you struggle or was it a breeze?

Ironically for me, I was very sick on Christmas day. I had got really cold and I think that was the culprit. I ate slowly (as usual) and did everything as I normally do but my bypass was having none of it. I gave up after being sick three times. It certainly didn’t spoil my day though. It was wonderful.

All my family plus ‘Gizmo’ the new addition to the family in the form of a Shih Tzu puppy my sister gave to my Niece. He was SO cute but my life he needs to learn some manners! He growls and snaps at people and almost had my daughter’s face off! So, they better start with his training very soon or he will become one of those nasty little things that everyone finds intollerable – including me and I love all animals!

Anyway, I hope you all had as lovely a Christmas as I did. I am so glad last year is over. I lost two members of my very close family and my dad almost died. He is still very poorly but he is with us and that’s all that matters. I never say ‘happy new year’ to people as I think it’s a bit of a jinx, but I do hope with all my heart that 2013 is the very best of years for you all.

Doodah x

Whitey

Happy New Year Doodah! I found my first Christmas 6 months post Bypass better than I imagined. I still worry about being ill if I eat the wrong foods so found it easy to resist the sugary stuff. I was amazed that I wanted to go out for a walk on Boxing day instead of making excuses why I couldn’t go. I didn’t miss the booze and I still managed to have lots of laughs. I just ate small amounts of what everyone else had and didn’t feel deprived. I had ONE celebration chocolate as a treat the other day. Last year it would have been half a tin! I had more energy to play with my grandsons aged 5 & 1. I’ve got a long way to go but I’m feeling positive despite having the flu. Having the bypass was the right decision to give me a healthier life. I love the support this forum gives me and it’s great to hear everyones experiences.

Doodah
    Keymaster

That sounds absolutely perfect! Did you ever imagine 6 months ago that you would look forward to going for a walk rather than vegging on the couch? I particularly love the fact that you had the energy to play with your grandchildren. I don’t have any yet but that’s one of the things I am most grateful for post wls – that I will be around to see them (if I’m blessed with them) and be able to be a proper Grandma.

Sorry to hear you have the flu – there’s so much going round. I too love this place. We can all be honest with each other with no fear of judgement. Support, advice and friendship: it’s so important isn’t it? Thank you for yours 😉

Doodah x

Paul-H
    Participant

Hi

I made it through quite unscathed, my head must be still in the right place at the moment, 10 months post surgery and still able to just say no. Hope it stays that way as well.

Paul

Doodah
    Keymaster

@Paul-H 27108 wrote:

Hi

I made it through quite unscathed, my head must be still in the right place at the moment, 10 months post surgery and still able to just say no. Hope it stays that way as well.

Paul

So glad it was an easy time for you Paul. We will all possibly struggle forever but at least with wls we have the advantage at every stage 😉

Doodah x

ebaa

1st christmas post op was fantastic !!! Even had a lbd to wear !!! Did give in to a couple of treats but only because they were there & also enjoyed a couple of drinks ! I’ve lost half a stone over christmas as opposed to previous years it would have been put on – great feeling !!! We also managed to get out between the rain for a lovely walk the kids got hiking sticks and were desperate to use them !!! It’s so nice to keep up with them and even over take them !!! Happy 2013 to everyone x

Doodah
    Keymaster

How marvellous for you! I bet you looked fab in your lbd too.

I think the thought of the first Christmas can sometimes be more daunting than the actuality of it. I was miserable for some of my first Christmas becuase I was so cold! My lovely little Mum made sure I had a lovely day by turning up the thermostat and making sure I had all the things I love to eat just for me!

Where there’s a will there’s a way – I don’t know who said that but it’s one of the absolute truths in life 😉

Doodah x

brown69owl

I am feeling really bad as managed to gain 3 pound over Christmas , lot better than previous years but having not gained for such a long time is getting me down.

I had to have a de fill the week before Christmas and need to have a fill in my band to get back on track !

? Jackie x

Doodah
    Keymaster

Hi Jackie

Right, I’m putting my ‘Mummy face’ on now.

A 3lb gain at Christmas is about 50% less than the average person so don’t even think about beating yourself up over it! It’s normal. That’s what normal people do. Isn’t that all we all ever wanted to be? I lose weight at Christmas every year as I really don’t like all the Christmas food so, for me to lose a few pounds is normal and always has been. I’m the odd so-and-so who loses every year. Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, else usually gains. Even my whippet thin dear old Dad gains a few pounds at Christmas!

PLEASE don’t be so hard on yourself. You are normal too now. Let yourself have this one – you gained at Christmas….big deal! If you let things slip and gain more, THEN think about reigning it in. If I gain more than 4lbs (which is my benchmark being a woman of a certain age!) I eat soup for a week until it’s gone. I have discovered that this is what ‘normal’ people do. It’s called living.

From your Avatar, I can see how slim you look Jackie! You have done brilliantly well so don’t let a bit of Christmas gain get you down. It’s 3 pounds. Do not let 3lbs make you feel like a failure. You could lose those little suckers in a week which is probably how long it took you to put them on 😉

Doodah x

ps Mummy face done now!

brown69owl

Thank you !

I know you are right and I think soup for a few days will do the trick and help me get back on track .

I was a size 20/22 last Christmas and a size12/14 this year so shouldn’t really let it get me down.

Have a lovely day and thanks for the mummy advice !

Jackie x

Doodah
    Keymaster

You’re welcome Jackie xx

shelleymarie

It was a strange one for me. In some ways I felt so much more in control than previous years but I did have a week where my weight went up and down and then stayed the same for 2 more weeks. Finally now party season is over I’ve lost 5lb this week and feel so positive and back on track. The only thing I wish I had time for is more exercise. Now I’m commuting and working 10.5 shifts a day and some weekends I just not finding the time any more other than to go on a walk on my lunch hour. It’s all very tiring though and I’m missing the gym! I’m hoping to find a way soon, maybe need to invest in a treadmill at home so I can fit in exercise that way. Happy new year everyone. Hope you have a fantastic one 🙂 x

Doodah
    Keymaster

@shelleymarie 27140 wrote:

It was a strange one for me. In some ways I felt so much more in control than previous years but I did have a week where my weight went up and down and then stayed the same for 2 more weeks. Finally now party season is over I’ve lost 5lb this week and feel so positive and back on track. The only thing I wish I had time for is more exercise. Now I’m commuting and working 10.5 shifts a day and some weekends I just not finding the time any more other than to go on a walk on my lunch hour. It’s all very tiring though and I’m missing the gym! I’m hoping to find a way soon, maybe need to invest in a treadmill at home so I can fit in exercise that way. Happy new year everyone. Hope you have a fantastic one 🙂 x

You are doing everything you can and doing it right Shelley so don’t fret too much.

Having said that, I am convinced that my weight remains stable due to the fact that I try not to eat bad things most of the time and I invested in a gym-standard cycle two years ago. I hop on it for approx 15-20 mins each day: just enough to either do cardio (helps my asthma enormously) or fat burning. It saves all my info too. It cost about £800 but think of how much I have saved in Gym fees. Plus the rest of the family use it. I would absolutely recommend it.

Well done on losing 5lbs in a week!! We can get so blase about how much we lose but think about it…5lbs!! That’s almost half a stone. Brilliant start to your new year 😉

Doodah x

shelleymarie

@Doodah 27153 wrote:

You are doing everything you can and doing it right Shelley so don’t fret too much.

Having said that, I am convinced that my weight remains stable due to the fact that I try not to eat bad things most of the time and I invested in a gym-standard cycle two years ago. I hop on it for approx 15-20 mins each day: just enough to either do cardio (helps my asthma enormously) or fat burning. It saves all my info too. It cost about £800 but think of how much I have saved in Gym fees. Plus the rest of the family use it. I would absolutely recommend it.

Well done on losing 5lbs in a week!! We can get so blase about how much we lose but think about it…5lbs!! That’s almost half a stone. Brilliant start to your new year 😉

Doodah x

Thanks Doodah. I can’t believe it but I’ve actually lost now 11lb since new years day now. I guess the stall meant my body was ready to start losing again and I’ve not been this weight since I was 18. I just realised I’ve lost 10 stone now and only 4 and half stone to go to till my goal. Hard to think that 7 and half months ago that felt impossible. So yes a very good start to the year – my new years resolution is to try and not worry so much about everything! especially important when it comes to weight loss and my job.

I invested in the treadmill, got a lovely fancy one for half price and I love it. It does automatic inclines and lots of different modes etc. I’ve cancelled my gym membership so I’ll easily save what the treadmill cost in no time, like you say and my mum is going to use the treadmill too. So you are very right about that 🙂 Plus I got a memory foam mattress in the sale to help with my arthritis so I can a better nights sleep, my last one was squashed from when I was really heavy so this one is like heaven in comparison. Hopefully I won’t wake up in the night with hip pain now. I can safely say I’ve blown my first pay cheque but to a good cause. Debt can wait till the next one 😉

xx

Doodah
    Keymaster

@shelleymarie 27200 wrote:

Thanks Doodah. I can’t believe it but I’ve actually lost now 11lb since new years day now. I guess the stall meant my body was ready to start losing again and I’ve not been this weight since I was 18. I just realised I’ve lost 10 stone now and only 4 and half stone to go to till my goal. Hard to think that 7 and half months ago that felt impossible. So yes a very good start to the year – my new years resolution is to try and not worry so much about everything! especially important when it comes to weight loss and my job.

I invested in the treadmill, got a lovely fancy one for half price and I love it. It does automatic inclines and lots of different modes etc. I’ve cancelled my gym membership so I’ll easily save what the treadmill cost in no time, like you say and my mum is going to use the treadmill too. So you are very right about that 🙂 Plus I got a memory foam mattress in the sale to help with my arthritis so I can a better nights sleep, my last one was squashed from when I was really heavy so this one is like heaven in comparison. Hopefully I won’t wake up in the night with hip pain now. I can safely say I’ve blown my first pay cheque but to a good cause. Debt can wait till the next one 😉

xx

I LOVE this post! I’m so happy for you Shelley. You have achieved more than is thought humanly possible haven’t you?!

I got myself a memory foam mattress three years ago as my old one had what my kids call an ‘Arse groove’ hahaha! Not only do I get a better night’s sleep but aren’t they warm?! It’s fabulous.

Half price treadmill – what a bargain and like you say, it will have paid for itself in no time. I’m the same as you about debt – don’t panic over it, it’s not going anywhere lol!

Thanks for posting this fab upbeat post Shelley. It’s just what we all need on a cold, foggy, dreary morning 😉

Doodah x

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media